GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,478
1 members and 1,477 guests
No Members online

Old 01-30-2002, 05:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Children of Greeks wearing GLO merchandise

I've been wanting to bring this subject up for a while now, so here goes.....

I think it is kind of cute to see kids in a Greek-themed t-shirt that says something like:
"A Kappa loves me" or
"My Mom is a DZ" or
"Chi Omega Legacy".

I have no problem with the above phrases...none whatsoever.
They're cute and they're more about their relative's affiliation than the child themselves.

However, what do you guys think about a t-shirt that says:
"Future ______ <insert name of GLO here>"

Do you think this could be construed as (what's the word I'm looking for?) ....err...presumptuous?
Do you think it could be "harmful" to kids as they might grow up thinking that they're a "shoo-in" to that group? (maybe not harmful, but maybe potentially sets them up for disappointment if they don't get the same GLO as their Mom, Grandmother or sister?)

I think if a kid is, say, 3, it might be kind of cute, but if a kid is say, 14, it might be seen as a bit presumptious?

Does your org sell merchandise that says this phrase or is it more independent Greek Letter boutiques that might have these shirts made up and then sell them?

To quote the character Linda Richman (from Mike Myer's famous "Coffee Talk" skit)....:
DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 01-30-2002 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad someone else was thinking about this! I asked our chapter advisor whether or not it would be a good idea to get t-shirts for my sisters who are 15 and 17.
She said that there is nothing wrong with letting relatives wear our shirts, but since one is 17 she might get the wrong idea. She suggested that I just buy an extra party shirt and give it to them rather than get a shirt that says, "AOII Legacy" on it.
My sisters are well aware that they are not going to automatically get a bid to join AOII if they rush. So, I think that as long as you make it clear to the person who is wearing it, it should not be an issue.
As for the "Future _______," I think they are so cute! The only time I have seen something like that printed was on like a one piece baby outfit. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Besides, the baby is not going to understand what it says and means, so I don't see the harm in it!

Courtney
Old 01-30-2002, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_Luv
Besides, the baby is not going to understand what it says and means, so I don't see the harm in it!
Absolutely, Courtney, I agree with you...the shirts for babies are rather cute.
However, do the shirts that say "Future _____", do they exist for Bigger Kids who would understand what it means?
Just wondering.

By the way, there is some REALLY CUTE Greek stuff for kids at:
www.babygreek.com
Not all GLOs are available, but it is a good start nevertheless!

Click here and here and go Awww!!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 01-30-2002 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

CutiePie, you're so right. We have an AOII Kid Sister sweatshirt for our 6-year-old but I'd never want her 16-year-old sister to wear a Future AOII shirt. (All right, all right, and not a future Pi Phi shirt either!) First, I don't want the older girls who understand what a sorority is to think that they're entitled to a bid because they're a legacy. Second, I want them to make up their own minds and not feel obligated to take a bid because they're legacies.

With 2 rushing this fall and 3 more rushing in the next 4 years, we just want them to go into rush with totally unbiased mindsets.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Personally, I have only seen these shirts on babies or very small children. Has anyone actually seen an older child or sibling wearing these? I also agree that for an older child/sister/relative, an event shirt would be best.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This isn't the same thing, but when I was a sophomore in college, my 16 year old brother came to visit for the weekend. This also happened to be the weekend of Kappa Sigma see-saw-a-thon(side bar--the KSig's construct this HUGE see-saw and rock the thing for like 2 days to raise money for their philanthopy. Its really fun because you can go down there at like 4am and see people sleeping all around it and people rocking away!). Anyways, all of us bough the t-shirts for this event and we ended up having extra's, so when my brother was there, I asked him if he wanted one and he did. The good thing was, he is a Kappa Sig legacy(my dad), so I thought that was kind of neat. He LOVED wearing it around our hometown, but when he went to college, he left it at home(and I stole it back!), because there were Kappa Sig's on his new campus and he didn't want to come off as thinking he was a shoo-in, and also because he knew from me that your letters can mean a lot and it just wouldn't be right for him to wear them there. He did not end up going Kappa Sig, but I know he did learn a lot about greek life from that one weekend and I thought it was a great promotion for greek life--when he would wear it to school, people would ask about it and he would tell them all about philanthropy and cool fundraising events for good causes that greeks do.
Anyways--I think its fine as long as people know that being a legacy, while a GREAT THING, does not mean you are a shoo-in and also does not mean you HAVE TO be that GLO. You are your own person--set your own path!
Old 01-30-2002, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I was a double Chi-O legacy. My older sister had this really good idea--when I was about 6 (she's a lot older than me!), she had me this little sweatshirt made with a big appliqued owl on the front, just like the ones she and her sisters wore, except that instead of having the Chi-O letters embroidered on the owl's belly it had my name instead. I still thought I was cool because I had a shirt like my sister's, but it wasn't as presumptuous, I guess you'd say, as a "Future _________" shirt. My sisters were really good about not making me feel like I just HAD to go Chi-O, so when I joined DZ I didn't feel bad at all. So now my youngest sister is a legacy to two sororities, but when the time comes I'm going to follow my sisters' example and make sure she knows that she won't hurt my feelings if she isn't a DZ. But I do occasionally give her tee-shirts from our date parties and stuff.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:47 PM

I have let my sister wear my bid day shirts, party shirts, etc. but I would never let her wear my block letter shirts. I just feel those should be for members only. And, I'd never give her a shirt that said "Future ZTA".....you just never know. (She's a High School senior and will be attending the University of Florida in the fall)
Old 01-30-2002, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Pi Kappa Phi has a family member program. www.pikapp.org/familymember.asp

When our son was born, my husband registered him with the program. The fraternity then sent us a congratulations letter and the baby REALLY NICE bib with "Future Pi Kapp" and the star shield.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I saw some big ol grown XXXL sized FUTURE AKA/DELTA/SGRHO/ZETA shirts at Greekfest 2000. The reactions of myself and my line sisters was aww hell no!

Why on earth would you wear that? Do you want to never, ever be considered for membership? Do you want to receive some hardcore clowning? Are you trying to become an outcast?

There is nothing wrong with the 'My Mommy/Daddy is XYZ" shirts, those are cute! But you have to draw the line at 'Future" wear.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 01-30-2002, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the my mommy is anSGRHO/DELTA/ZETA/AKA tee shirts are tooooo cute!!!! I agree with lovelyIvy84...I would be highly upset if I saw a nongreek with a Future BGLO tee shirt on... Membership isn't promised to NO ONE!!!!!

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 01-30-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
On a slightly different note, I bought my parents "Phi Mu Mom" and "Phi Mu Dad" shirts. They are both in GLO's, but neither of them wear letters anymore. I would feel really weird wearing anything SDT (my mom's org.) around campus.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:21 PM

I agree... If a baby is wearing a bib that says "My Mommy/Daddy is an XYZ" that's fine - it's just stating a fact - mommy or daddy is an XYZ. Older kids should get party/event/bid day shirts if they're interested (not block letters, because that implies you yourself belong to the GLO) - If someone says "Oh, you're an XYZ?" they can always reply "No, but my sister/brother is." In my book that's acceptable.

As for "Future XYZ" that's not a fact - the little legacy may decide to go to a school where XYZ is not represented, or may choose to join a different GLO or not rush at all. So that's inappropriate for a T-shirt.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Hold on a sec...

KA BillyMac -- I am WAITING for my "Future KA" bib - Don't listen to these people! (If we have a boy that is!)

As for a girl...well we all KNOW what she will have

I think the future stuff for a baby is fine (yes, like 5 and under) -- I still haven't bought anything for my nieces though, so we'll see.

Definitely a NO-NO for the older group - stick with the "My mommy/daddy/sister/etc....." type stuff.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
My thoughts

I purchased a "My Mommy is an AKA" bib for my line sister's son, who weighs over 20 pounds but is only 6 months of age.

I don't have any problems with the gear for children roughly 10 years of age or younger. Teenagers, however, shouldn't be sporting any GLO gear until they become a member of their chosen organization.

ST
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
Epsilon Xi Omega, #8, December 2000