1 members and 1,270 guests
No Members online

Old 02-13-2006, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Sad News to report....

February 12, 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Alpha Sigma Tau President Emerita Enters Eternal Chapter

Birmingham, AL, 02/12/06 — Lenore Seibel “Sybil” King, President Emerita of the Alpha Sigma Tau National Sorority, died February 11, 2006 in Birmingham, Alabama.

Sybil pledged the Psi Chapter at James Madison University in 1947. She served as Rush Chairman and President. Upon graduation in 1950 she became the Alumnae Representative until 1964 when she accepted the appointment as National Scholarship Awards Chairman.

She represented Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority as a National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) Alternate Delegate from 1967 1987. From 1969 to 1975 she served as a College Panhellenic Area Adviser.

Sybil King served Alpha Sigma Tau as its 7th National President from 1972 through 1984. She also served as Director of Fraternity Programs, National Alumnae Chairman, Centennial Committee member, Board of Trustees Chairman, and Headquarters Administrator where she was instrumental in the purchase of the current Headquarters building.

Sybil was instrumental in the development of the Alpha Sigma Tau National Foundation, Inc. where she served as board President. Through her leadership, scholarship donations have grown, educational grants have been funded, and gifts to the Alpha Sigma Tau philanthropy Pine Mountain Settlement School were endowed.

During Alpha Sigma Tau’s Centennial year in 1999, Sybil King was honored with the title of President Emeritia.

She had a passionate historical interest in Alpha Sigma Tau and has preserved the documents and materials of today’s information that will become Alpha Sigma Tau’s historical data for many years to come. Lenore Seibel King’s name is synonymous with Alpha Sigma Tau. All who knew her will never forget her.

Memorials to Sybil King may be made to the Lenore S. King Scholarship, Thomas J. King Scholarship, or Pine Mountain Settlement School through Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority, c/o Judy Sanders, 1929 Canyon Road, Birmingham, AL 35216. Please make checks payable to Alpha Sigma Tau National Foundation.

Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority was founded, November 4, 1899 at Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan. The purpose of Alpha Sigma Tau is to promote the ethical, cultural, and social development of its members. The Sorority offers membership programming with an emphasis on academic achievement, community service, leadership development, and personal growth opportunities.

We have lost one of the most dedicated sisters of Alpha Sigma Tau. Sybil did so much for the survival and growth of AST, and will be sorely missed. I can't believe I won't see her at Convention anymore....

Shall claim of death cause us to grieve
And make our courage faint and fall?
Nay! Let us faith and hope receive--
The rose still grows beyond the wall,

Scattering fragrance far and wide
Just as it did in days of yore,
Just as it did on the other side,
Just as it will forevermore.

PsychTau

Last edited by PsychTau2; 02-13-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this is a true loss for the sorority. I was looking forward to meeting her at Convention this year! I'd heard so many great stories about her. My thoughts and prayers go out to her famiily and of course the sorority.

Tau Love
E
Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I had the pleasure of meeting Sybil years ago. She was so gracious and funny. A true anchor of AST.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
Sybil will be missed....

and so another flame burns eternally.....
Old 02-23-2006, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I don't check on here for a while and I come back to this!

I can tell you that my jaw literally dropped when I read this. Sybil King was such a vivacious soul. I enjoyed interacting with her when I worked as a TC and at conventions. She will be missed. Such a sad loss for her family and for Alpha Sigma Tau.