GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,422
0 members and 1,422 guests
No Members online

Old 02-09-2003, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

? For People Who Sell on Ebay

I am downsizing my jewelry collection and wanted to sell some of my Tiffany pieces on ebay. I don't have a digital camera or scanner so I wondered if I would be breaking any copyright or ebay rules if I used the picture of the piece from the Tiffany website.

I e mailed ebay about this, but haven't heard back. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I have a question, too. For those of you who have sold stuff on E-bay, do you think that's the best way to go if you have things you want to get rid of? I'm asking because I have several pieces of jewelry that I received as gifts, and I would like to sell them because, quite honestly, I think they're heinous. But hey, someone else might not think so.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Jewelery's hard, b/c there's SOOOOOOOO much of it on ebay. You're probably not going to get as good of prices.

Do your reserach before listing. If you don't have much feedback, buy some cheaper items to build up feedback. Feedback= reputability (feel free to buy from me! hint hint. I sell VS and other lingerie, and sorority shirts/shorts).

I would be very careful with copying pictures. If someone decides to report you to ebay, your auction could get cancelled. I'm not sure b/c i've never done it. Jewelery's hard to photograph even if you have a digital camera b/c most can't do closeups that well.

The best way to determine things is to search the listings for items like yours. You can also search completed auctions and see what things sold for.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me!
Old 02-09-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
kddani, question:
ok, say that you're selling a sorority t-shirt (for bid day, greekweek, letter block, or else).
Are you making sure before that the buyer is a sister? Or you just randomly sell them to anyone?
I have couple intramural shirts I would like to sell, but I want to sell them only to brothers (since the shirts have a big letter of our fraternity).

So, any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

queequek-
Honestly, it doesn't matter to me who I sell the shirts too. To me, it's a lot different than selling a pin-it's just a shirt. I couldn't possibly verify that everyone i'm selling too is a sister of whatever sorority's shirt i'm selling (i sell shirts for probably about 18 out of the 26 NPC sororities or so). Also, A LOT of people buy them for their children who have gone greek or for friends.

You could say in your listing that you would only like to sell to a member of that group, but that doesn't mean people will pay attention to it. I don't think shirts are quite as popular with collectors (a lot of people collect their own GLO's shirts though), so it's not like the whole pin thing. I really don't see why someone would want to buy a shirt from another GLO for themselves, but they could just as easily buy it from greek101 or another company, or even locally.

Honestly, i don't know who else would want to buy an intramural shirt but someone in that GLO, but hey, you never know.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I tried, unsuccessfully, to sell my engagement ring on EBAY twice last year and finally gave up. People, it seems, are too leary about jewelry online...and I don't blame them.
So instead I'd recommend placing an ad in your local paper if you have something worth a great amount. Your last resort could be a pawn shop but those rarely pay well.
We have something here were you can advertise for free (called the Thrifty Nickle) and I'd considered there.
Another option for someone who just hates the look of the item is to have it restyled so it does fit your taste. You can often go to any jewelry store to sign up for a Design Show or look at mountings and get ideas for turning a cruddy ring into a cute one...or make it into a pendant or something.

PS. Killarney....you could perfectly sell a Tiffany's bracelet but I'd use your own picture so as not to get in trouble with the company. They may feel you're ripping them off by selling it with a copied picture of theirs. Whatever you do, be very specific in the description though!
Old 02-10-2003, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I always find it kind of sketchy when people use the "professional" picture of their item - it makes me wonder if its the actual item, or if they just pulled the picture from the catalogue or website to make a non-authentic item look like the real thing.

Some jewelry stores have consignment services - you may be able to sell your things that way. Or, your local classifieds is a good way to sell things.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
damn this post, i just went and bought $300 worth of jewelry. lol
Old 02-11-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
as for pawn shops, yeah you need to be careful. they don't tend to give you what it's really worth. the one i know of here in ohio is really good. they weigh the gold and the stones have to have so many points and stuff. they are really legit and the guy who works there is a vin diesel look alike, but better

anyhow, i was also wondering about selling on ebay. i tried to sell some diet thing i was stupid enough to buy and it didn't even come up when i did a search for it one day. it didn't even get a bid from anyone. so i'm a little worried about trying to sell again. i really want to sell some of my art work (photography), but nobody is willing to give me feedback about how i should price it or market it. any help?

shelley j
sigma k
Old 02-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Banned

Re: ? For People Who Sell on Ebay

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I am downsizing my jewelry collection and wanted to sell some of my Tiffany pieces on ebay. I don't have a digital camera or scanner so I wondered if I would be breaking any copyright or ebay rules if I used the picture of the piece from the Tiffany website.

I e mailed ebay about this, but haven't heard back. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
Technically it's illegal, but no company has the desire or time to police this. The reason being that it would create bad press for them and also be pretty expensive.

Ebay doesn't care much either. I've done this before with a palm pilot I sold and it wold pretty well because the pictures were more accurate.

-Rudey
--If you're really scared, you can always provide a link to the item.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaiota
i was also wondering about selling on ebay. i tried to sell some diet thing i was stupid enough to buy and it didn't even come up when i did a search for it one day.
Items usually take a few hours to come up in the searches after you have listed them.

Selling artwork is pretty cool.. I would use the "gallery" option (which is .25 I believe) so that a small image of your artwork shows up by the item title. Many people tend to only click the items with the small picture by it unless the Item Title is VERY interesting. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the advice. i think i'll try that. i know i could probably get a tidy sum for my work. not like it's that incredible, but people like nice artwork to display. i'm trying to get my name out by at least donating one of my prints to the dayton area panhellenic style show coming up in march. we'll see.

shelley johnson
sigma k
Old 02-12-2003, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

well here ya go. here's the link to my first item up for bid. hope it sells this time. thanks again for the advice.

shelley j
sigma k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2911762276