John

Old 12-27-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

UCSD

http://ucsdguardian.org/index.php?op...=9319&Itemid=2
Old 12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that.

Chapter advisers and officers -- make sure your actives and alums know how easy it is to compromise a facebook account. If you don't already have strong (and enforced) policies about posting things online, now is the time to develop those policies.

I'll bet that at this time, just about all of us have at least one brother from our chapter who has posted pics on his facebook/myspace page which depict risk management violations. This is something which is easy to correct.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
PUtting pics that could even be semi-borderline up on the net is pretty dumb. Especially with all the crap it has caused chapters across the country.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This is so stupid. I'm convinced the "source" is some snitch who has some vendetta against Sigma Nu at that campus. Unless real evidence shows up of hazing it's probably little more than photos of members with beer cans or something ridiculous like that.

It really upsets me when things like this drag an organization through the mud. Sure hazing's definition is vague but use common sense and you should be able to tell right from wrong.

Paddling = Wrong
Physical Abuse = Wrong
Forcible Drinking = Wrong
Mental Stress = Wrong
Verbal Abuse = Wrong
Line Ups = Wrong

Paintball, Human Pyramids, etc = Totally reasonable team building activities if done consenually! There are LEAD activities that are physical in nature. Ropes Courses could be construed as hazing if you present it the wrong way!

Photos of Drinking = Stupid, embarassing, certainly not hazing.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Photos of drinking, while not necessarily indicative of hazing can still be evidence of violation of our risk management policies.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah you're right. Underage drinking does violate our risk management policy. For somebody to report this though sounds less like a concerned citizen who sees hazing and more like a disgruntled snitch with some kind of vendetta against that chapter.

Just my opinion. I think there's a HUGE difference between reporting hazing and reporting members who were involved in underage drinking. I'm not saying it's right but every fraternity, sorority, collegiate sports team, dorm building, etc. I've ever known is involved in underage drinking. I'd argue the drinking I've seen in dorms is way more dangerous than anything I've seen at fraternity houses so far. Dorms kids don't have charters to lose.

Now this doesn't mean I'm excusing the behavior....it just means that I really have to wonder what the motives of the "source" are. Especially if he's sending harassing emails to Sigma Nu members on that campus.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter