Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,156
2 members and 1,154 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-05-2005, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Do something nice. Get fined.

Colorado Teens Fined for Giving Cookies to Neighbor

DURANGO, Colo. (Reuters) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.

The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.

The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."

The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies.

She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.

The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

They wanted to do something positive instead of going to a dance with cursing and drinking, and it's sad that this is the result.

PSimissU
Old 02-05-2005, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Shame on them :-(

That is appalling! That judge should be struck off!!

If that crazy woman think she needs hospital treatment every time there is a knock on her door later than 7pm or every time she gets a sweet and generous gift from some kind people then she has serious problems. A psychiatric hospital and a LONG stay would have been more appropriate.

Action should be taken against the judge and all parties except the two girls should be ashamed of themselves.

edit: And did the judge stop to think when he complained 10:30 was "late for them to be out" that maybe it was late because they had been working all night ON that random act of kindness?
Old 02-05-2005, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got this in an e-mail from a friend of mine and couldn't believe it!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:03 PM

No good deed goes unpunished...
Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Did you read that the family wrote her a letter of apology and offered to cover her medical bills but she said "no dice" because the apology didn't seem sincere and it was not given IN PERSON?

Gee, I wonder why they wouldn't want to go back to her house.

Worst. Neighbor. Ever.

Here's a follow-up. Seems loads of readers have offered money to pay the fine, and the two girls will be on Good Morning America this week. I hope they bring cookies.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

How WEIRD.

I wish I could sue everyone who'd ever given me a panic attack.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I can see being freaked out about someone coming to your door at 10:30 at night. I'd be absolutely freaked out. The girls should have had more common sense to do that because it's just rude period to go knocking on someone's door that late.

But to be sued over it? Ridiculous.

KLTC
Old 02-06-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
i'd like to read the judges legal reasoning before commenting...

While the story sounds idiotic, what did these neighbors know about the woman's condition? Plus is there a crummy law or sign posted to ward off solicitors? Did these girls believe what they were doing would cause anxiety to the woman?

Leaving cookies at your doorstep with a note, would you eat them? Remember, small claims court is similar to what you see on t.v., it's whatever the judge believes that rules.

Now, coming back to some good senses, big friggin' deal with this judgement. If the girls asked me what they should do now, I'd say "Go ahead and pay or don't if you want." Make the woman go back to court and get a judgement to order payment. It's just a game in small claims court, and some people like to play
Old 02-06-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
Did you read that the family wrote her a letter of apology and offered to cover her medical bills but she said "no dice" because the apology didn't seem sincere and it was not given IN PERSON?

Gee, I wonder why they wouldn't want to go back to her house.

Worst. Neighbor. Ever.

Here's a follow-up. Seems loads of readers have offered money to pay the fine, and the two girls will be on Good Morning America this week. I hope they bring cookies.

Those two are really sweet, I'm glad this event doesn't deter them from doing good deeds in the future. Although, I think they still shouldn't give the woman a dime of that money...
Old 02-06-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
I can see being freaked out about someone coming to your door at 10:30 at night. I'd be absolutely freaked out. The girls should have had more common sense to do that because it's just rude period to go knocking on someone's door that late.

are you serious???

this must be the 'burbs?
Old 02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

that neighbor is a crackpot. that whole lawsuit should have been thrown out of court. i hope people hound that woman like she never could've imagined
Old 02-07-2005, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
How WEIRD.

I wish I could sue everyone who'd ever given me a panic attack.
Seriously; there would be a couple of professors who would have lawyers showing up to their offices.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha
are you serious???

this must be the 'burbs?
Um, yeah, I do live in the 'burbs, where you just don't do that.

I also live close to the expressway, in a very nice neighborhood. You never know these days and you can't trust anyone.

KLTC
Old 02-07-2005, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Um, yeah, I do live in the 'burbs, where you just don't do that.

I also live close to the expressway, in a very nice neighborhood. You never know these days and you can't trust anyone.
that's kind of sad. I lived in a city and had no problem trusting my neighbors around me.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RUgreek
that's kind of sad. I lived in a city and had no problem trusting my neighbors around me.
It's not the neighbors I don't trust, it's people in the neighboring subdivisions or cities. I can't believe people would just drop by unannounced at that time. I guess my area is just different when it comes to rudeness and such. I don't know anyone who wouldn't fine it rude for someone to just drop by at 10:30 at nite, unless there was like a party or gathering of something. Most parents and older people around here are in bed at that time.

KLTC