GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,470
6 members and 1,464 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 04-08-2005, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
My home chapter is on probation by University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

I just found out today that my home chapter, Zeta Phi Zeta, is on probation as of today. While I do not know all of the specifics, this occurance on March 20th, may have something to do with the probation....

http://www.utcecho.com/news/2005/03/...6.shtml?page=2

I must note to my brothers on here is that the chapter house is in the Fortwood Community near the UTC campus. They, Kappa Sigma, and Chi Omega are the only Greek Organizations remaining in the Fortwood Community. For over 20 years now, this community has been trying to get all fraternities/sororities out of their community. When the Sigma Chi house burned down there in April of 1998, some of the residents even made unconfirmed comments that they were glad it burned down.

This community even stopped the Presbyterian Student Organization from buying the old Pike/Phi Delt house last year.

Even as an active, I partied a lot also when I was 18-20yo so I cannot condemn them but they must also stand accountable for their actions, no matter what the crime.

If I know of a brother of our bond has been drinking and is 18 to 20yo or any age, I will watch out for my brothers and be my brother's brother and not let anything happen to him if he is intoxicated. I took care of a lot of brothers at many a party while I was active.

But also at the same time, if a brother is underage and asks me to buy him an adult beverage, I would have to say "Sorry brother, let's wait until you are 21yo and I will buy you a beer then.".

I hope this thread does not offend anyone but I was just wanting to get some of the weight off of my chest from the news I heard today.

Please keep our brothers of Zeta-Phi Zeta in your prayers. If I hear of any more information regarding this probation, I will update as needed.

Yours in ZAX....

Roy Roberts
Zeta Phi 708

Last edited by ZetaPhi708; 04-08-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Epsilon-Omega as well

Dont feel bad brother, the guys at Miami FL are feeling the pain too... (See article below). You know years ago I used to look at these kind of articles as the chatpers were bad, or run by bad people. However based on the political correctness and complete unreality of administrators and campus staff to go "punish" greeks, I think alot of this crap is a horse and pony show these days to "pimp up" whoever needs to look good.

Heck the chapter at Shippensburg is on probation until Dec of 2006 for a 11/04 registered BYOB dance party where there were 2 whole cases of beer at the house. Apparently we were responsible for the alcohol that anyone drank elsewhere, and they came to the Ship LCA house to dance. And in our case the new house has so much land that there are no neighbors, you guessed it the police requested undercover agents from a state agency to "investigate" a registered and advertised Dance party.

Now, we've got terrorists and gangs and drugs on the news every night, but the Tennessee/Shippensburg LCA chapters had some college kids making noise, hold the F-ing presses!!! And we can send UNDERCOVER police officers to these sort of things, makes me feel safe knowing these assets can be spared for this sort of operation.

Anyway, ZetaPhi, dont feel bad about your chapter, they are not bad people, we just live in a time where the expectations are out of control and we as a fraternity are a convenient target for this sort of legal harrassment. I feel your pain, but just like undergrads will tough it out, so will yours. Just watch your bases and if you want to help more, buy the guys in your house a police scanner at Radio shack. We used to have one in the 1990's very handy with out of control police raiding.

zax

Lenoxxx

=============================================
Officials from the national headquarters of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) fraternity were on camŽpus last Tuesday to conduct investigations after the University of Miami chapter was suspended. Lambda Chi Alpha (Lambda Chi) fraternity, whose Epsilon Omega chapter at UM was also suspended earlier last week, will send representatives from their national headquarters to investigate today. Neither of the suspensions are related.

Although the causes for the suspensions have not been released yet, Kip Zurcher, Chief Operating Officer of Lambda Chi national headquarters, said that the chapter will remain temporarily suspendŽed until they can conduct further investigations into the allegations held against them.

"They had a social event recently and we heard allegations that they'd violated policy," Zurcher said,"We sent a staff member there to conduct the investigation and to meet with the alumni and the chapter."

Lambda Chi is currently charged with violating the UM code of conduct.

According to Zurcher, Lambda Chi will release further information depending on the nature of the allegations, the legal measures involved and the discretion or confidentiality measures.

"We're trying to understand who's involved," he said. "We hope the investigation will wrap up over the next week or two to decide whether we lift the suspension or take disciplinary action."

Investigations into the Pike suspension are still ongoing. According to Associate Dean of Students Gregory Singleton, the executive director of Pike visited campus last Tuesday.

"The fraternity is still under administrative suspension by the Supreme Council of the fraterniŽty," Devang Desai, Pike chapter advisor, said. "The school is letting headquarters do the investigation, and once the fraternity does its conclusive work and reports it to the University, more information will be released."

The Hurricane will continue to follow up on these issues as details become available.

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Re: Epsilon-Omega as well

Quote:
Originally posted by lenoxxx
Dont feel bad brother, the guys at Miami FL are feeling the pain too... (See article below). You know years ago I used to look at these kind of articles as the chatpers were bad, or run by bad people. However based on the political correctness and complete unreality of administrators and campus staff to go "punish" greeks, I think alot of this crap is a horse and pony show these days to "pimp up" whoever needs to look good.

Heck the chapter at Shippensburg is on probation until Dec of 2006 for a 11/04 registered BYOB dance party where there were 2 whole cases of beer at the house. Apparently we were responsible for the alcohol that anyone drank elsewhere, and they came to the Ship LCA house to dance. And in our case the new house has so much land that there are no neighbors, you guessed it the police requested undercover agents from a state agency to "investigate" a registered and advertised Dance party.

Now, we've got terrorists and gangs and drugs on the news every night, but the Tennessee/Shippensburg LCA chapters had some college kids making noise, hold the F-ing presses!!! And we can send UNDERCOVER police officers to these sort of things, makes me feel safe knowing these assets can be spared for this sort of operation.

Anyway, ZetaPhi, dont feel bad about your chapter, they are not bad people, we just live in a time where the expectations are out of control and we as a fraternity are a convenient target for this sort of legal harrassment. I feel your pain, but just like undergrads will tough it out, so will yours. Just watch your bases and if you want to help more, buy the guys in your house a police scanner at Radio shack. We used to have one in the 1990's very handy with out of control police raiding.

zax

Lenoxxx

=============================================
Officials from the national headquarters of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) fraternity were on camŽpus last Tuesday to conduct investigations after the University of Miami chapter was suspended. Lambda Chi Alpha (Lambda Chi) fraternity, whose Epsilon Omega chapter at UM was also suspended earlier last week, will send representatives from their national headquarters to investigate today. Neither of the suspensions are related.

Although the causes for the suspensions have not been released yet, Kip Zurcher, Chief Operating Officer of Lambda Chi national headquarters, said that the chapter will remain temporarily suspendŽed until they can conduct further investigations into the allegations held against them.

"They had a social event recently and we heard allegations that they'd violated policy," Zurcher said,"We sent a staff member there to conduct the investigation and to meet with the alumni and the chapter."

Lambda Chi is currently charged with violating the UM code of conduct.

According to Zurcher, Lambda Chi will release further information depending on the nature of the allegations, the legal measures involved and the discretion or confidentiality measures.

"We're trying to understand who's involved," he said. "We hope the investigation will wrap up over the next week or two to decide whether we lift the suspension or take disciplinary action."

Investigations into the Pike suspension are still ongoing. According to Associate Dean of Students Gregory Singleton, the executive director of Pike visited campus last Tuesday.

"The fraternity is still under administrative suspension by the Supreme Council of the fraterniŽty," Devang Desai, Pike chapter advisor, said. "The school is letting headquarters do the investigation, and once the fraternity does its conclusive work and reports it to the University, more information will be released."

The Hurricane will continue to follow up on these issues as details become available.
Also, I think there are some "bad eggs" in the chapter that are finally starting to graduate. Read this article from 2002:

http://www.utcecho.com/news/2002/09/...t-279004.shtml

And one Zeta-Phi brother was asked to go alum last year for pulling a gun ( that he had at the house ) on another fraternity's active brother ( thankfully no one was injured ).

Maybe the chapter is just going thru some bad times right now but there is one active brother that I know of down there that is starting to step up to the plate and get the chapter back on it's feet by organizing a Chop Week and Watermelon Bust for next fall semester. There is hope around the corner.

Yours in ZAX...

Zeta Phi 708