GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,029
0 members and 1,029 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2003, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Spring Rush @ TTU Questions...

I'm new to this site. and of course have a story to tell and questions to ask. I'm a sophmore at texas tech, and it's my third year here, and by spring I'll be a junior. Does being a junior put me at a disadvantage with rush? I went through formal rush my freshman yr. at tech and got cut the second day of parties. I was so crushed to wake up at like 5 or 6 a.m. to find out I wasn't wanted. I was so crushed , I was hoping to make new friends, volunteer with philantropy stuff, get involved in greek life and belong to a sisterhood. After the first semester, I decided I wanted to try informal (spring rush) I got an bid from one sorority, and had an invitation to another's house the following week, meanwhile I went to a meeting for a service organization, that promised to give me what greek life had to offer for less $, after a week of agonizing on what to do I had to decide on the service group by that weekend, and went ahead and chose that, well that didn't work out so well after a yr. in that, I wasn't happy with the orgainization, and thought about spring rush again, my gpa wasn't too hot , and so I didn't get any call backs from the couple of sororites that had it. I've been working on my gpa really had last semester, and this one, and am hoping to have it up enough so that this yr. when I try spring rush I won't have my grades be a reason that i'm not extended a bid... I would have rushed this fall but my gpa still wasn't good enough. Also I've heard some sororiity girls say they don't like informal rush. or cobing seeing formal rush is so much more stressful, and that those that go the other way don't have as hard of a time with rush, and that informal they don't have help from panhellenic, I really don't like the idea of being looked down on,if I did pledge a sorority in the spring verses the fall . any adivce would be welcomed thanks.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I highly suggest spring rush at Tech ... Its what i did and after going through rush on the other side this year, im even more pleased with my decision... I know a few groups are cobing but usually you have to know someone in there so they know youre interested and whatnot.. Do you know where you want to be ? Ill try to help anyway i can..
Old 10-04-2003, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe last year, TTU's Panhellenic Council actually helped organize Spring informal rush to an extent-didn't they, Heaz? I heard it worked out well for the groups that participated, but don't know the details.

Raiderchic-if chapters are doing Spring informal, they are looking for new sisters, and if you want it, you should try it! I seriously doubt they would look down on anyone who chose to join them during informal...Good luck, and keep us informed!
Old 10-06-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont think tech will be participating in spring rush this year because im pretty sure all chapters made quota but one.. I do think a few are doing cob right now, but its just a rumor ive heard ill need to check on that.. Dont be intimedated going through rush as an older student, many groups like the fact that you know what greek life is like and the time requirements and whatnot.. Also jrs. do not count in quota and many many chapters are willing to take a few ..
Old 10-06-2003, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice girls !

Sorry I haven't written on here this weekened, I've been sick & didn't go to classes today blah. I was really hoping ttu would have spring rush... but if everyone but all met quota... , would graduation in december change that? I have a friend that's an aphi and she said right now only alum can cob for her sorority, and my roomate is an adipi and I haven't asked her about her's yet, I'm wanting my gpa to be decent before trying to join a sorority. When I went to the spring rush activities last yr. I really liked dg, but my gpa wasn't up enough so i'm thinking that might have hurt me , also I can be on the shy side at times when meeting people. Thanks for letting me know what you can heaz
Old 10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck raiderchic! I hope you find the home of your dreams!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:09 PM

Question

My sister is finally transferring to texas tech in the spring since she couldn't in this fall. But she already has a rec from a Zeta at SFA and I think another from their vp. She is a freshman from here in San Antonio went to a CC for a semester but her GPA is above 3.0. Any reccomendations about rushing in the Spring. I think she is the total package but I'm also her brother so you know how that goes. I'll be joining her next fall since I will be transferring there to finally graduate and hopefully law school. Any info would help and now that I finally know that she is going to go I want to make sure she has all the preparation possible.
Help,
Mike
Old 10-06-2003, 04:13 PM

ALso

Does anyone know how the DeltaSig chapter is at Tech. I e-mailed a brother a while back but haven't heard to much about them since I may be affiliating next fall.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Raiderchic- I dont reallty understand about aphi only cobing alum ?? Im not sure whats going on at our chapter, ill find out at chapter tonight, but im sure adpi is cobing bc i dont think they made quota. It just all depends where you want to be ! What would your gpa be if you went through cob right now, above a 2.5 ? Being quiet during cob stuff is expected, dont be worried, its so overwhelming, but during cob, the sorority knows you WANT to be there so that always looks positively towards the girls going through. Even though all the sororities will be losing a few girls in dec, im still doubtful of a spring rush , though you could call ttu panhellenic and ask them..
Old 10-06-2003, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there!
I just want to throw in a little bit of input of my own for ya. I went through Formal Recruitment as a MARRIED, JUNIOR (graduating dec. '04), and with an ok GPA. i unfortunately got released early due to all these factors above (one being that ADPi has some rules saying that upperclassmen must have a 3.2). Then i COBed, and i got in to my sorority of choice, with no problem... other than my GPA. There is always hope!

So i would highly suggest spring rush/COB/COR!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

oh yeah, and GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely call the college panhellenic to see what kind of feel they have for Spring informal...even if they don't organize it this year, they may be able to tell you in January or so who is recruiting (if anyone). This has been mentioned in other threads before, but the only way a chapter can have informal recruitment in the Spring is if they go below total. I don't know for sure, but I think total at Tech is 120-125? December graduations/transfers will affect that, but the chapters won't know until after they return in the Spring whether they will be looking to fill any open spots. It all depends on what kind of cushion the chapters have....

That said-DeltaSig-ZTA is one of the largest chapters on campus, so you can almost guarantee that they will not be recruiting until Fall 2004 formal recruitment. So if your sister wants to be able to consider them, she should probably wait until then. Of course, I encourage keeping an open mind. I'm sorry to say I don't have a feel for any of the fraternities at Tech, so I couldn't venture to guess how the Delta Sig chapter is, but I've never heard anything negative about them. However-Greek life is a great part of life at Tech, so I'd definitely affiliate so you can get the full experience.

Good Luck to everyone looking at Greek Life in Lubbock!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll definatley check into calling panhellenic on what they think on spring rush later this semester. My gpa is below a 2.5 now, I took credit for doing a summer internship and made an A on my report so I got a 4.0 for that class , and as of now I have a 2.1 something... and I've been checking techsis to see how that effected my gpa but it hasn't been posted yet , ( I know my gpa is horrible, my freshman yr. I ddin't know about the whole dropping a class, and ended up not passing my math class I was in ( it's my worst subject) and last fall semester I wasn't thrilled with my major and some of the classes I was in so that didn't help. I switched majors this past spring and love my new one (rhim) I got a 3.0 last semester for my grades & I'm working really hard on my grades now, my friend that's an aphi said that in her chapter that only alum can cob for her sorority now.... , I'm pretty sure they were cobing a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure, and I know with my gpa if I was even allowed to pledge I would have a ton of study hours to go to.. which wouldn't bother me, I'm just not sure how much time it is, and I have a job , to know how that would interfere with that, and a night class two days a week right now.
Heaz ~ what is your sororities gpa requirement, and do you know any of the others? I was thinking about my roomates sorority , I went to some of their spring events my freshman yr. and thought they were nice, and the house was pretty too, and I just felt out of place, I was thinking I guess I could always give them another shot and look into all my possiblities, I really did enjoy the spring stuff your sorority did last semester and really liked y'all. The rollarskating was a cute idea & to me I liked that y'all were fun loving & down to earth.
dzanidloo~ Thanks for your advice & info. on recruitment !
julie~ your story gives me some hope ! thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Raiderchic,
I really have no clue what our gps minimum is but im guessing probably the lowest gpa we'd consider is around a 2.75 in college--but what were your hs grades like - i think that is a small factor too--- as we're really trying to improve our grades, though im not positive. I suggest just trying to get your grades as high as you can, even if you have to take easy classes to just pull them up, and going through spring if tech has it or fall..But do check out all your options, id call panhellenic and see what sororities are doing cob as they wont know youre interested unless you contact them because you didnt go through rush this past fall..I hope maybe that helps a little bit !!! goodluck and ill try to answer any questions you have !!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I'm confused as to what you mean by "only alums can COB now".