Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,045
1 members and 1,044 guests
No Members online

Old 05-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Recolonization!

You may have already heard this, but Alpha Delta Pi is going to close a chapter in Arizona after this graduation, with the promise to recolonize in the next few years. Both the University and Alpha Delta Pi are COMMITTED to bringing "The First and The Finest" back on campus, recolonizing with what every sister wants - the Best and the Brightest on campus!

There is a strong Alumnae core who will be working with EO towards this goal also, and they are dedicated to the goals of our beloved Creed in seeking new members. While this is hard news at first glance, we have to remember that, if Alpha Delta Pi did NOT want to remain a viable presence in Arizona, this year's convention could have been held in 51 other states or provinces!!

While I haven't had a chance to see any formal correspondance first hand, I've heard some very positive feedback and goal setting already, and frankly, I'm excited!! I've seen what a brief hiatus can do on other campuses (look how strong Theta is; they recolonize all the time!), and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Arizona's future! And for those who doubt me, take a look at my own chapter, AI, how a recolonization and wake up call took them from the smallest on campus to Total within three years!

I'm sure that other Arizona alumnae have more information on the actual statement, and, if you ask them nicely I'm sure they'll PM the information to you.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes in all the recolonization efforts!

I hope that someday the SMU chapter will be recolonized!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I hope so, too!! I just heard of another chapter going on hiatus, with the promise of recolonization. My understanding is that, as more and more NPC sororities are trying the closing/recolonization plan as the best way to maintatin strong chapters, this is the best way for ADPi to keep our values intact.

Since there are so many alumnae here on GreekChat, this could be a MAJOR opportunity for you to show your support of Alpha Delta Pi and all we stand for! If a chapter near you is recolonizing, and you have the chance to give them a hand, please inquire as to the best way you can show your support!!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
My chapter (Eta Sigma at San Diego State U) was just closed down on Monday.

What exactly is recolonization?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Technically, recolonization is when a chapter was on a campus, and for one reason or another (adminstrational problems, risk management problems, size, etc). After a period of time, a team comes in from EO and restarts the entire colonization process, just as if this was a new chapter at a new school. In the past, there was a stigma attached to recolonization, but as more and more NPC sororities are doing it to "go back to their roots" (or in our case, fulfill the standards of our Creed), there isn't quite the onus that it once was.

My chapter recolonized three times; once right after WWII, and twice in the past 20 years. Decorators are brought in (if needed), teams of TCCs work to select PNMs, and workshops are held to ensure that the skills necessary to keep a chapter alive and healthy. The last time my chapter recolonized, they went from twelve members to Total in three years.

While it hurts - really hurts - for those who are new Deltas, they get the chance to enjoy life as an alumna (t*p, I'm sure you can add something here!), and see the benefits of the new chapter!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

sdsuchelle, I completely understand how you feel. My chapter is the other chapter that is closing. And while it hurts my heart so much that my chapter is closing, I know in the end it is for the best. Now if only my heart would listen to my head.

I am just looking so forward to the point where we will begin getting the house ready for recolonization. (is it 2009 yet, oh wait that means I'll be 30 AAAHHHHH).

TP did your chapter close? If so when?

Ugh. I hate this. I hate feeling this way. I am just so bummed. In less than a week two chapters have closed and that hurts my heart. I hate hearing about chapters closing.

Is it weird that I really haven't cried yet? I'll probably break down at convention when I have Jennie to give me a hug. I just feel like I'm having to put on this strong front when I just want to break down in tears. I'm ready to break down now but I can't, I'm at work.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-05-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

((((((((sdsuchelle and ASUADPi))))))))

I wish I knew what to say to you two. I know its hard, but you can make it through. You have all the sisters behind you right now, and they want nothing more then for your two chapters to succeed someday down the road. I hope that is a small consolation... :
Old 05-05-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
sdsuchelle,

Glad to see you've found this board! I know right now it's tough, but these are some of the greatest sisters to have on your side - they're always here with a comforting shoulder whenever things are tough, and are your biggest cheerleaders when things are going great.

I'll see you Saturday at Founders' Day!

L&L,
Your finance advisor
Old 05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Best wishes in all the recolonization efforts!

I hope that someday the SMU chapter will be recolonized!
I would love the SMU chapter to recolonize. It has produced so many great leaders in adpi! But ZTA has "dibs" on recolonizing first at SMU since they closed before we did. I hope that everything does fall into place to recolonize that chapter. I was told that we are recolonizing next year somewhere in Missouri? I can't remember exactly where, but I was told this by Kathryn Goddard. Yeah for going back to closed chapters!!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CougADPi
((((((((sdsuchelle and ASUADPi))))))))

I wish I knew what to say to you two. I know its hard, but you can make it through. You have all the sisters behind you right now, and they want nothing more then for your two chapters to succeed someday down the road. I hope that is a small consolation... :
Thanks sweetie.

Like I said it still hurts.

I was kind of bummed though b/c I got my letter on Tuesday and I guess on Monday they had the closing ceremony and alums were invited. I was really upset on Tuesday b/c I got the letter the day after.

It just sucks.

What I would give to be talking to my Delta Gamma girlies right now.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-06-2005, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi

TP did your chapter close? If so when?
i'll answer for her, no. it's the chapter i'm currently a delta in. i think honeychile was refering to T*P because she was an upperclassman when she joined and wasn't a delta for much more than a year before becoming a pi, so she has experience with becoming an alumna sooner than most.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I can relate to that.....I, like t*p, joined later in my college career, with only 2 years left (should have been less, but I was on the 4 1/2 year program!). While my chapter hasn't closed, I moved back home, and it is still hard sometimes to not be around my chapter sisters, even after 2 years almost of being out of school. However, I have enjoyed my time so far as an alum, and am looking forward to what comes next.

Side note: I'm going through Jewel Degree tomorrow, and the TVAA alum association has a meeting too---I'm thinking seriously of taking an office! I'll let you guys know what happens!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
I was kind of bummed though b/c I got my letter on Tuesday and I guess on Monday they had the closing ceremony and alums were invited. I was really upset on Tuesday b/c I got the letter the day after.

It just sucks.

What I would give to be talking to my Delta Gamma girlies right now.

I believe one of our Denver Alums is from your chapter. She had the same thing happen to her. She received the letter about the closing ceremony too late. She is disappointed about it all, as well.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
i'll answer for her, no. it's the chapter i'm currently a delta in. i think honeychile was refering to T*P because she was an upperclassman when she joined and wasn't a delta for much more than a year before becoming a pi, so she has experience with becoming an alumna sooner than most.
^^ lyrica got it right.

I didn't get much time as a Delta because I was a transfer and joined the second semester of my junior year. While my time was short, I really did enjoy it, and being part of the alum. association, I enjoy knowing that things we do directly helps both my home chapter and the other chapters in the area.

I think one common misconception about alumnae associations is that they are all function the same, and that the entire membership is composed of women not in your age group (a few years right out of college), but if you and your sisters join the local alum groups, things can change dramatically. I think "new blood" is exactly what alum associations everywhere could use because with that comes fresh ideas and ways of thinking. My alum. association has women of all ages and in addition to officer meetings, and regular meetings, we do try to meet for happy hours sometimes, and we have fun events and even (*gasp*) date parties!

I'm so sorry to hear about the closing chapters. I honestly could not imagine what you could possibly be going through. I would definitely recommend staying involved as an ADPi, because the more alum help we get, the better the chances of a successful re-colonization for your chapters down the road.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Im so sorry to hear this on all three chapters that are closing. I hate to see any chapter close. I really hope this will help us become stronger and get back in there on those 3 campuses. I teared up reading about this.

Bri~
Sorry I havent been there for you hon. I havent been online in forever and Im training my new secretary and she isnt the best secretary so Ive been pretty stressed. I seem to be working from 6am to 4 or 5pm and I come home dead. Im sorry I havent been there hon. HUGS from me.