Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,455
2 members and 1,453 guests
John

Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

General Philanthropy Ideas

hey girls! i was named the philanthropy chair for our chapter this semester and our chapter always struggles with philanthropies. i want to bring in some new ideas to get our campus/community involved in helping CMN. i only have two ideas so far, and i need more!

charity denim: an organization that comes to your school armed with 500 pairs of designer jeans at a discounted price... some profit goes to charity of choice

lincoln exchange: tape a penny to a letter explaining your sorority and what you do for the community, and about CMN. ask at the end of the letter for them to exchange the penny for the lincoln thats worth more (i.e $5). send the letter to various commmunity members/businesses.

any more ideas?

liob!

ΦΜ ΦΔ
"A ministering angel shall my sister be."
-- William Shakespeare
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, I am just getting affiliated with Phi Mu this upcoming semester; but, the local sorority I was in was HUGE with philanthropy. Here are some of our main ones:

-Diamond Ball: This was our biggest Philanthropy and will definitely be carried over when we start the new chapter. It's a charity ball that includes dinner, dancing, guest speaker, silent auction, and raffle prizes. The guest speaker is always someone who is effected by the philanthropy. So, if you know anyone who has been helped by CMN or works with CMN, it adds a personal touch to have them share their story. Part of the ticket price goes to Philanthropy, and all of the money from the auction and raffle goes to Philanthropy. It's open to the whole community and it's always been a big hit. Just to give you an idea, this past semester we only had 13 actives, and we were still able to raise a few thousand dollars.

Our other ones are a lot more simple:

Dodgeball & Volleyball Tournaments: These are great events to co-host, they're cheap to throw, and they bring out everyone's competitive side.

Easter Egg Hunt: We send notices out to the Elementary schools and hold an Easter Egg Hunt on campus for the little kids in the area. We fill the eggs with candy; but, have some big Easter baskets as grand prizes.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
The Diamond Ball sounds cool. My chapter of initiation just did a charity dinner/auction and made good money. They are currently doing a raffle.