GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question informal recruitment

Hii i received a bid from a sorority I didn't fit in January, and i would like to go through informal recruitment in September. I refused my bid, but i don't know if i can go through informal recruitment... is there anything i can do? i will be a junior next year and there is no reason to go through recruitment for a year and a half, that's why i'm asking

Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaby616 View Post
Hii i received a bid from a sorority I didn't fit in January, and i would like to go through informal recruitment in September. I refused my bid, but i don't know if i can go through informal recruitment... is there anything i can do? i will be a junior next year and there is no reason to go through recruitment for a year and a half, that's why i'm asking

Thanks
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you must wait a full calendar year.

You would be eligible to rush again next January.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Clarification on the bolded:

Did you write down the name of the "non-fitting" sorority on your bid card at the end of formal rush?

Or was the "non-fitting" sorority one you didn't put down, and one who came to you with an open bid? You looked at the bid, said "no thank you" and didn't sign anything or go to any bid day events?

If it's the first you may not rush again until next January. If it's the second you can go through in September.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

they made us do it electronically we had to put what we wanted on the left and what we didn't on the right, and then rank our choices.... the girl who was helping me told me that i was sure to get my first choice so i put both on the left even tho i didn't want my second one.. when i got a bid i refused it right away, i didn't even go to any of the events after so idk
Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well if you ranked this sorority on the left, and they extended you a bid, then you are ineligible to participate in any recruitment function until January of 2011. Thus, you are not eligible for informal in September.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

is there a way to get out of it???
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

No
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM

You cannot get out of it. You can, however, report the girl who told you you were "sure" to get a bid to the Greek life office.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
is there a way to get out of it???
No. However, I find it unfortunate that someone told you that you were "guaranteed" your first choice. That is false.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it unfortunate that the OP is going to be an upperclassman and she is not willing to give this other sorority a chance. By the time she is able rush, again, she may be a Senior. She may have already blown her chances of ever being Greek, depending on where she attends school.

Once again, what is with all this entitlement? We can sit around and say, "I was told this" or "they said that" but, (like in the military when people complain that their Recruiter lied to them, or in college when people complain that they didn't graduate on time because their Academic Advisor lied to them) in all actuality, the OP is (presumably) an adult.

I don't feel bad for anyone who doesn't have the sense to ask the right questions BEFORE signing a bid card (other than her Rho Chi/ Pi Chi/ whatever she calls it) or actually sitting down and READING the information given to the PNMs. I can't imagine this is information that all these sorority women and the Greek Life Advisor choose to hide.

That chapter that you were ABOVE may have been an incredible group of women that you chose not to join. If you didn't match up with "Miss Popular House USA" this semester during formal, what makes you think that you will have a better chance as an upperclassman?

Why don't you take a chance on the ones who took a chance on you? All NPCs have SOMETHING to offer. You chose to ignore that.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's a different story when someone acting in some sort of official capacity gives you the wrong info. For example: if a PX tells you you're guaranteed to get your first choice, as a PNM you are likely going to believe her. Why? Because you're told that she is your guide and knows about all of the policies.

I can agree with you on the point of making sure they read the binding agreement though. So many girls go through without knowing that if they sign and decline, they are bound for a year. Really though, how many college-aged kids actually read ANYTHING they sign?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-13-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

in her defense, you can ask the question, but if the person you are asking doesn't quite understand what really is the truth, then they might give out bogus information unknowingly.

when my daughter was going thru recruitment, i had instructed her that while i hoped that she wouldn't suicide a sorority, the computer would not kick out her bid card if she did(something that pnms seem to be repeatedly told will happen). sure enough, her rho gamma told her recruitment group that if they suicided, their bid card would be rejected. i can easily see the scenario happening as the op described. everyone is not so lucky as to have someone in the know to ask. it doesn't change the outcome for the op, but i can see that she could have been misinformed.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel bad that asking the Greek life office directly wasn't seen as the most direct way to get information, and that strangers on the internet was her first choice. Really, talk to your school, give them the details, and go from there.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
in her defense, you can ask the question, but if the person you are asking doesn't quite understand what really is the truth, then they might give out bogus information unknowingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think it's a different story when someone acting in some sort of official capacity gives you the wrong info. For example: if a PX tells you you're guaranteed to get your first choice, as a PNM you are likely going to believe her. Why? Because you're told that she is your guide and knows about all of the policies.
Absolutely. I hate that this happens, but that doesn't mean the rules should be bent. When I was a Rho Gamma, our training over-emphasized dealing with upset PNMs and taught next to nothing about policies and rules. We were instructed to ask a member of the recruitment team, but the problem is that Rho Gammas THINK they know things they really don't.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I feel bad that asking the Greek life office directly wasn't seen as the most direct way to get information, and that strangers on the internet was her first choice. Really, talk to your school, give them the details, and go from there.
I have to say that I agree with this statement. I can't imagine going on Greekchat to ask a question about my situation over going directly to the Greek Life Advisor. It reminds me of how people on here would get irritated with having to "spoon-feed" people information. Don't get me wrong, GC is a great tool to have in your corner but, why aren't women looking at policies before making such a commitment.

Once again, I think it goes back to the fact that (regardless of your Rho Chi/ Gamma, whatever) these women (and I say women because these are adults and not children) need to take responsibility before pointing the finger at their Recruitment Counselors and blaming them. If you don't take the time to read up on something that is so important to you, then maybe it is not something you should get.

Even as someone who didn't really have much Greek in my family (except my uncle who is a Sigma Chi from my University), I knew that once I went into the process and accepted a bid-I couldn't just drop it and pledge elsewhere. I knew that I couldn't decide mid-way through pleding (my Phi process) that if I didn't like the girls or the pledging process, I could just leave and go somewhere else. If you don't have enough sense to care about this stuff prior to getting involved, maybe going Greek isn't for you. I think the OP shot herself in the foot when it comes to recruitment and finding a sorority that fits her.