GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,082
2 members and 1,080 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig

Old 08-28-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Double standard

Matter of fact, I will start the thread.

I KNOW some of you guys agree with PM_Mama. No reason to be afraid to post it. I have heard so many people talk about the racial "double standards" that exist today, such as black comedians and their jokes about white people. I think it is possible to have a HEALTHY debate about this topic even though some people are scared to touch it. Any takers?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't get easily offended so as far as black commedians (for example) and their jokes about white people go...that's fine. But I think the key to that example and some others is that it's all personal preferance.
I'm going to step outside the race barrier for a second and take you to the male/female barriers. I had a boss say a bunch of lewd comments and to some females that may not be offensive, whereas to me, they were.
Similarly some things that black people do or say may or may not be offensive to the individual...and vice versa.

I really wish people wouldn't clump each other by race, because aren't we all individuals with individual thoughts, ideas, and feelings?

And as to the start of this thread I have no idea who disagrees or agrees with PM_Mama or what that has to do with anything...I'm just throwing in my two cents (which probably didn't make sence to begin with).

Much love,
Hootie
Old 08-29-2002, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
I'll see if we can get a discussion going . . .

There's way more than a 'double' standard - it's nearly infinite.

There are times and places where the 'double standard' is that white people can be as openly offensive as they like, and minorities can simply eat it, and so on for every possible combination under the sun - it is always this time and place, everything related to the context in which it is delivered.

That said, the classic "white guys drive like ______, black guys drive like _______" type of comedy isn't implicitly racist in form - in fact, many comedians of all walks of life have made fun of the differences between groups of people, without being offensive in the slightest.

However, it is always easier to poke fun at your own group - there is a lessened chance of backlash from the community you are lampooning if you are a part of it yourself, and it can be a little disarming to hear barbs from someone 'on the inside' so to speak.

To my mind, I'd like to know exactly what is meant when people describe a racial "double standard" - where do you draw the line when you define this standard? Recall that Jennifer Lopez was openly mauled in the media for improperly referring to 'her niggas' in a recent song, and she's not white. It's not a white vs. black thing here - it is a matter of respect, a matter of intent, and a matter of what is proper.

I don't think that black entertainers can necessarily get away with more than white entertainers, especially in terms of making jokes with a racial component - I just don't see it, mostly because I've seen those types of jokes done by entertainers of every color, background, and sex w/out incident and to no negative end effect.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

.KSig RC-it is always this time and place, everything related to the context in which it is delivered.

-I love comedy. Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy made a lot of money playing the racial angle, Red Foxx as well. They each took a different perspective though. Like KSig RC mentioned, it's easier to poke fun at your own group which often times was the tract these entertainers took. Then there is Cosby, the class act of the century. Any person could wind up rolling on the floor because he had universal appeal and found the "comedy" in
situations everyone could relate to.
-The current music industry has taken a forum with great potential and segregated the delivery of the message from the mainstream. This is ONLY an opinion. I find a great deal of the music offensive yet my son can see the social content like I did in the protest songs of the 60's. Still, some has little if none redeeming value. (This is true across the board.)
-The film industry opened my eyes with movies like "A Patch of Blue" "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" "Raisin In the Sun" and so many more. I don't care for the mindless sitcoms that seem to perpetuate the "white" impression of a black family or characters. Yet are they not black actors taking money to make us "white folk" laugh?
-Books "Black Like Me" and "To Kill a Mockingbird", off the top of my head, have had an impact on how perceive things.
-Let's not forget J. C. Watts, Langston Hughes, and the courage of Rosa Parks. Yet it has been said by various Black leaders that Jesse Jackson makes money off the charities for the betterment of his race.
-Friendships, acquaintances, peers, associates, all relationships deliver a message as well. This boils down to behavior. Are we only comfortable when everyone it white-ized?

I don't believe whites are the only ones perpetuating a double standard. As long as blacks accept money or succumb to the white dominated industries, there is a shared responsibility. On the flip side how else will there be mainstream exposure to talents or social commentary??? The proverbial "rock and a hard place"?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
can't we all just get along? On that note:

Let the millionaire cry babies of the MLB go on strikes, i don't care anymore.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Arya-Let the millionaire cry babies of the MLB go on strikes, i don't care anymore.

I'm with you!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Just for the record I think each poster in this topic has had extremely valid points. However, there are some people out there who DO generalize and who do become angry when they believe a double-standard exists.

Hootie to answer your question, I referred to PM_Mama, because in another thread she stated her anger over these so-called double standards. I wasn't trying to single her out, but her post prompted me to start this thread. Also, someone named chantillylace agreed with her. I was hoping we could hear more of that side than the side presented by you guys who have posted, because it DOES exist.

I am also not trying to imply that it only occurs in black and white form. The are also gender "double-standards," as well as fill-in-the-blank other race "double standards," if that made any sense.

I think this forum has had many great race discussions since I have begun to visit (some have gotten a little out of hand, but most have been fairly educational). This is a topic most people have shied away from, even though it is one of the most problematic.

Arya, it is not a point of getting along, although I realize you were just trying to lighten this thread up. Fortunately, it has not degenerated just yet, but we may need you a little later, lol.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Arya
Let the millionaire cry babies of the MLB go on strikes, i don't care anymore.

[continues thread hijack]
hahaha, don't even get me started - it's millionaire crybaby players against greedy billionaire owners . . . what a mind-numbingly ridiculous situation to complain over, especially in the middle of such a great season.
[/hijack]
Old 08-29-2002, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
... aren't we all individuals with individual thoughts, ideas, and feelings?
Yes, we are all individuals... just like everyone else!

*groan*

(sorry, that was bad)
Old 08-29-2002, 02:17 PM

Re: Double standard

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
I think it is possible to have a HEALTHY debate about this topic even though some people are scared to touch it. Any takers?
Fine. What do you want to debate?

Reparations?
The ghettos that you think were created by the government?
Old 08-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Reparations?
Quote:
The ghettos that you think were created by the government?
Max, I see that statement as little inflammatory. I don't think that either of those were really the subject of the thread. I've enjoyed reading this so far and would hate for it to get off one one of those tangents.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-29-2002, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we are having trouble knowing where you want to go with this.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Understandable. No one has come forth to offer any opinions contrary to the ones posted, and that is what I wanted. I think there are some people on GC who do not post for fear of being thought of as "un-PC" or prejudiced. I would rather those people post and ask questions or state their opinion and just basically BE HONEST. I respect that.

Mad max...if you would like to debate either of those issues feel free to pm me anytime. I think that most GC'ers are kinda tired of both of those and would rather not read anymore unless you have something new and earth-shattering to share. By the way, what is your deal? You come onto the thread and post some close-minded comments and that is all? If you want a debate I am up for it. PM me.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I'm not exactly sure what this thread is saying, but I will go ahead and stick my opinion in it anyway! I know that the "mule" thread got a little out of hand, but I'm not blaming anyone because everyone made good points. PM_Mama might have been a little blunt in what she said, but I do agree in part with her. I don't like to hear people whine and blame others for their failure to keep a job, get into the school they want, be as rich as the neighbors, etc, etc. I don't care what color, race, creed, nationality, or whatever you are; I just would rather see you try to make something of yourself instead of b*tching about it. As far as the issue at hand goes, I am not saying that all of the issues African Americans have are not legitimate, because in some cases there really is discrimination and whatnot and we don't need that, so I don't mind if people are vocal about that. But in my own experience, and I repeat IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE (I know this does not apply to everyone), the African Americans who have strongly argued for reparations were the ones who would rather blame their problems on others who lived a hundred years ago than try to change the situation. But please don't scream at me for saying this, because I know this probably only describes a handful of people. I personally don't really agree with the reparations idea, simply because it's so hard to put a price on it. But I don't think we should forget our mistakes, slavery being one, and I'm really sorry it happened. I just think we ought to move forward. And as someone else said, why can't we all just get along??
Old 08-29-2002, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
But in my own experience, and I repeat IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE (I know this does not apply to everyone), the African Americans who have strongly argued for reparations were the ones who would rather blame their problems on others who lived a hundred years ago than try to change the situation. But please don't scream at me for saying this, because I know this probably only describes a handful of people. I personally don't really agree with the reparations idea, simply because it's so hard to put a price on it.
AchtungBaby, thank you for your honesty. I really don't want to turn librasoul's thread into another version of the "40 acres and a mule" thread, so I urge you to follow this link http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...450#post249450 and read the first post on the page (by me) that offers a reparations analogy. After reading it, I'd like to know if you stand by your opinion. Maybe you should PM me instead of posting it here.