GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,187
0 members and 1,187 guests
No Members online

Old 05-10-2003, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Cell Phones & Safety

I was just reading the thread about the shooting at Case U. That's so unfortunate. It said how many of the people locked down were communicating with loved ones via cell phone.

During 9/11, many communicated via cell phones.

A few days ago, my best friend and her friend got a flat tire on an expressway. Neither one of them had a cell phone. Finally a stranger stopped to help them. They were in like New Boston (not that unsafe), but had they been, say, on an expressway near downtown Detroit, they would have had the chance to become victims of who knows what. My friend's excuse for not having a cell phone? She can't afford it. Yet she works full time, and spends ALL her money on going out to eat and shopping.

Now picture yourself, stranded on an almost deserted road. You slid off the road because of all the snow. You don't have a cell phone.

Ok seriously people... there are some who are against cell phones, but when it comes down to it, they can save your life! Spare the dollars and at least get a pre-paid!

KLTC
Old 05-10-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I absolutely agree with you. I'm old (!) and therefore resistant to change, but my husband finally *made* me get a cell phone because when I drive to see my family a large portion of the trip is through some pretty desolate territory. It really does make me feel more secure knowing that if anything happened I'd be able to call for help.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
There have been many times during college when I wished I had a cell phone. Mostly when I'm stuck at airports and have to use a pay phone which jacks up the price of my calling card. I will definetly be getting a cell when I move to NYC!!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
i feel so lost without my cell phone..i almost never forget it when i leave the house, but the one time i did i freaked out that something terrible was going to happen to me when i was driving home and i would be stuck and stranded without a phone or a phone number to call because i don't know anybody's phone numbers(since they're all programmed into my phone book)

i actually just read an article in this month's cosmo about this..specifically how women are so easily targeted in their cars and how you should always have a cell phone with you in case someone tries something..
Old 05-10-2003, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Right now I'm student teaching and driving an hour each way every day. I can't afford a cell phone so my dad insists that I carry his at all times. He says that not only can I use it to call AAA if I need to but I can also dial 911 if needed. Also, I can call school or my family if I'm going to be late so that they don't worry. I see his point, I would not want to be a female driving by myself with no way of calling for help. I would definitely recomend having one (maybe an old phone), even if you don't get a plan. You can have a phone with no plan and if you turn it on and dial 911 whichever carrier picks it up HAS to put the call through, this would be some use in an emergency.

This summer we were right behind a police car when another car collided with it. The driver of the other car was thrown out and BOUNCED off the road. The officer was in no state to radio in. We were able to use cell phones to call 911, it would have take much longer and would not have been nearly as useful to run to a nearby house to make the call. I feel that every vehicle should at least have an old phone to use in case of emergency. Just my 2 cents . . .

~Emily
Old 05-11-2003, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
okay, this is probably going to come out bitchy, but its really not meant to..so bare with me people...i really don't understand how in this day and age people say they can't afford a cell phone..there are so many providers out there that now have plans for as low as $20 a month, plus there are so many deals out there for free phones..i mean if its just for emergency purposes..believe me..i MORE then understand being broke and not being able to afford a lot of things...but i would imagine that $20 a month is worth it for the peace of mind it provides..

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I think cell phones are great, especially if you are a woman alone driving over long distances.

However, I do not recommend that people start text messaging while they are driving. It drives me nuts when I see people, staring at their phones, tapping away on the buttons and not watching the road. This is so incredibly dangerous and it takes away from your attention, which is to the road. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
okay, this is probably going to come out bitchy, but its really not meant to..so bare with me people...i really don't understand how in this day and age people say they can't afford a cell phone..there are so many providers out there that now have plans for as low as $20 a month, plus there are so many deals out there for free phones
xok85xo, it's not bitchy at all but aren't the 'contract' (monthly plan or 'free') phones usually credit checked so some people might have trouble getting them? At the least though they should definitely get a pre-paid for safety reasons. I used to (before I got one) hate the idea of one on the basis 'tch, I don't wanna be available all the time wherever I am, to anyone'. Now, I've worked out I can be selective who gets my digits, divert to voicemail, switch it off, turn the ringer down, choose not to answer it etc! I'm free and equipped!

P.S I know nobody likes a smartass, but I thought I should just point out that the spelling 'bare' with me means get birthday-suity with you.. just wanted to say I'll be right over

Last edited by decadence; 05-11-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes most contract phones do require a credit check, but there are some that don't. And Sprint PCS (even though I am not crazy about their overall service) has a very lenient credit check. Trust me, I know, I used to sell their service... and people who were unable to get a little regional provider because of bad credit were able to get Sprint. Then there's also pre-paid plans which don't require any credit check. And then at the very least, like someone mentioned, there's always just having a phone with no service connected to it because you can at least dial 911.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Many companies also have prepaid service.If you put up $30 for two months and just use it in an emergency,it isn't as bad.I work part time for Radio Shack,so I know that Sprint and Verizon both do.I am sure that most other companies have a prepaid plan too.There is no credit check and you can usually get a good deal on the phone .Right now ,we have a prepaid bundle pack with Verizon where you can get the phone, 3 accesorries and a $15 starter card for $49.One of the accessories is a car charger which I would recommend everyone get.That itself is usually $30.You never know when that will come in handy and it certainly does.
You were right about Sprint having a more lenient credit check.The basic deposit for them is $125 and goes up.Verizon is considerably more and they are much pickier.It is uncommon for them to have a $400 or 500 deposit demands.
Wherever you go though,you should be able to find a good deal if you are a new customer.It is the existing customers who have the problems.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
My cell was a present from my dad when i graduated from high school and his idea was that i could use it to call home without worry about calling cards and that if he ever worried about me driving at night he would be able to get ahold of me to find out where i was and whether or not i had left yet. There are so many different plans you can get with cell phones that even my grandmother, who is the most technologically unadvanced person ever has one.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Safety first...

I don't like the whole concept of being available to other people wherever I go, and I really despise people being rude in public with them. However I value SAFETY, so I purchased a phone and got prepaid for those lovely Alaskan winters. I would rather not lose limbs to frostbite, be eaten by a bear, or heaven forbid die. I spend less than 5 dollars a month, and the phone I got practically for free because of all the rebates. It has also been handy when trying to find addresses, they can be hard to see. Most of the time I will use a payphone because they are only a quarter here, and I have one of those calling cards from Price/Costco. I cannot justify paying 20 or so dollars a month for something I will not use, I can use that money to get my nails done or go to a movie. Which reminds me, I need to change to a national calling program for when I drive through Canda next month on my way home.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Cell Phones & Safety

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00

Now picture yourself, stranded on an almost deserted road. You slid off the road because of all the snow. You don't have a cell phone.

I don't think a lot of phones would help in this instance....one of the main reasons i got rid of my cell was cuz there was no coverage in the town i moved to...

Although, i am moving back to a reasonably populated area i probably won't reactivate the phone.

But i'm the kind of person that doesn't worry bout that kind of thing....and besides, most ppl i travel with have thier own cells, so i don't need one....
Old 05-11-2003, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Believe me, in Michigan this can happen ANYWHERE. Plus, even if you get bad signal from your company in an un-populated area, a 911 call will still pick up a signal from anywhere.

KLTC
Old 05-11-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE my cell phone, I'd die w/o it! Mine was a present from my dad when I started college. At the beginning it was more trouble than it was worth due to the fact that my mom is VERY worrisome. If left the campus 5 min's late, she'd call freaking out making me have to answer the phone while trying to merge in traffic. She has learned however.
There's been many times when I need my cell phone also. Once was whenme and TKE209 was leaving athens when we hit hgh water making his car useless and stranded in very deserted part of town. i called my dad and he was there w/in 45 min's. Another was when me and my girl was friving in town and we witnessed a hit-and-run. We tailed the guy while talking on the phone w/911 getting his information.

I highly value my phone