GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,457
2 members and 1,455 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Violet's Big Ten Fall 2009 Recruitment Story

Hi all!! I've been lurking for some time, and i thought what better way to start my Greek Chat posting history than with the start of my Fall 2009 recruitment story, 4 months early!! I am very excited, have done my homework, have talked to my greek friends to find out as much as i can about sororities. I know now that being in a sorority will become a huge part of who i am, and i am looking forward to this.

I will be rushing as a sophomore. When i started my freshman year, i was in the middle of a really bad year for me personally (2008 was full of disappointment). High school had made me slightly reserved and nervous. I was in a lot of extracurriculars and held several leadership positions, but for some reason i became very introverted (which is odd for me.) The first month of school was really hard for me because only my boyfriend came with me from my small town and our campus is soooo big. I don't think i would have been ready to join a sorority last year. i think i would have been overwhelmed.

But, i will be rushing this fall, with my boyfriend at my side, one year of college under my belt, a pretty spectacular high school and college resume, and the knowledge of who i am. I am slightly scared that being a sophomore will affect the houses’ decisions, but I know that i will find where I am meant to be. I am going to keep more obvious details about myself a secret so that my rush will not be in danger. But as there will be close to 1500 girls rushing, i know that small details won’t hurt. If you want to guess which school i go to, feel free. It should be pretty easy once i have told you the sororities on campus.

There are 25 PHC sororities on campus, but only 19 of them participate in rush. Those sororities are:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa

Here are the code names in no particular order, named after prominent Disney ladies:

Alice

Anastasia
Ariel
Aurora
Belle
Cinderella
Dory
Duchess
Eve
Flower
Jane
Jasmine
Megara
Mulan
Nala
Perdita
Pocahontas
Snow White
Wendy

Sorry if the some of the colors are too light or too similar. Also, I will appreciate all advice, suggestions, etc. that any of you may have. I am very glad to be posting, and I can't wait for Fall Rush!.... and summer of course! Finals week is next week. UGH

Last edited by violetsway; 05-04-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: identity disguise
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Note: If you have not gone through recruitment yet, you are not pledging. Pledging means that you have received and accepted a bid.

I think the word you're looking for is "rushing" or "going through recruitment."

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

oops, thanks! i didn't mean to put that. its fixed now.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Okay, I just have to say I am SUPER excited to read your story!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy...crap.

That is alooooooot of chapters!

I used the same code names when I posted my rush story, although I only had 8, not 19!

I'm gonna cheer for Snow White, Ariel and Belle...for now
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you in recruitment! Like Twinkle, I'm boggled at the number of chapters, but it looks like you are in for a lot of fun. Just remember that discretion is your friend.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

oh, sorry twinkle!!! i was just in a disney mood earlier.

i'm really excited to rush this fall! i'm going to be honest with how i feel about the houses, but at this point i don't have any negative impressions. i am going to leave out as many details about myself as i can so it doesn't hurt my recruitment.

thanks for your interest! i'm sorry to loop you guys in so early. i'm just really excited
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Cinderella!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, 25 are members of Panhellenic Council, 20 are NPC's. Only one NPC does not participate fully in the formal recruitment process.
With over 1,200 PNM's participating annually, Myopicsunflower is correct----discretion is still the key Violetsway.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as advice, read the "What NOT to do or say" thread.

Also, although there are alot of PNMs going through, I'd still be a tad careful with the details. Example: Don't go bashing a chapter, describing their skit to a tee, and then describing your outfit. Not saying you'd do that, but it's not the smartest thing, especially when there are sorority members from your school who post here.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
As far as advice, read the "What NOT to do or say" thread.

Also, although there are alot of PNMs going through, I'd still be a tad careful with the details. Example: Don't go bashing a chapter, describing their skit to a tee, and then describing your outfit. Not saying you's do that, but it's not the smartest thing, especially when there are sorority members from your school who post here.

Excellent advice! There may also be advisors from chapters at this school around these parts, please do be careful.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah for Big 10! Good luck!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

OK so your campus has 25 of the 26 organizations in the NPC? But only 19 do recruitment? How come? I don't get that lol.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
OK so your campus has 25 of the 26 organizations in the NPC? But only 19 do recruitment? How come? I don't get that lol.
I read it as 25 groups are in the College Panhellenic. The rest could be locals or non-NPC groups that participate in Panhellenic but not recruitment.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
I read it as 25 groups are in the College Panhellenic. The rest could be locals or non-NPC groups that participate in Panhellenic but not recruitment.
Yes, this is correct. 20 groups are part of NPC and 5 participate in the school's Panhellenic but are NOT part of NPC.