Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,482
0 members and 1,482 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2004, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kallima
Unhappy Very worried

I helped out at my old chapter's recruitment the past 2 nights and I'm worried...
Last fall we didn't meet quota. I think it was 31 and we took 12 girls. We got about 4 more through COB, but we are basically on probabtion or something. National Headquarters sent us a letter stating that we had to get enough girls to meet quota by last May. We didn't.
This semester one of the higher up recruitment people came to help the chapter prepare.
After the first night we lost about 1/3 of the PM's. there were 195 total and I think about 60 girls came back to the second party. The third party there were about 38 girls. Tonight was pref night and we had 22 girls come. Quota is 36 this year. So obviously we aren't going to meet quota. My guess is that we will get about half of the girls that came tonight... which is 1/3 of quota.
Is my chapter going to lose its charter? Has this ever happened to any of your chapters? If it has, how do you get girls to come out to COB/Informal events?

I know I'm an alum now, but without the chapter I think I would feel like an orphan. Those girls need each other, and I am afraid with out a charter they are going to lose something...
Old 09-12-2004, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

National is not going to act quickly to pull a charter. They'll want to do everything reasonably possible to bring the chapter up to a more competitive level with the other chapters on campus.

I'm not sure how recently you graduated, but if you've been out of the chapter for a few years you may want to inquire about becoming an advisor. Strong advisory boards can make a big difference. If you don't become an advisor there's still plenty you can do. Whenever you can, attend their events. Show them what it means to be a sister for life! Send them notes/letters of encouragement. Share with them your special memories of being a sister during your collegiate days.

What's important for everyone to keep in mind when a chapter is struggling with quota/total is that SISTERHOOD is the most important thing. They'll get burned out from constantly having COB/COR events. They'll get frustrated and they'll wonder if it's all worth it. The stronger their sisterhood is, the more easily see that yes it is worth it. Strong sisterhood will also be what draws new members to the chapter!

I say all this from experience. My own chapter went from the dreaded letter of challenge to a strong two star chapter in four years. They have their minds set on three stars and I really think they're going to get it!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
my chapter went dormant my junior year. we received a letter of challenge in feb. just after our recruitment and voted to close the chapter in may. we had until after the next formal recruitment to make chapter quota. we decided to cut our losses seeing as how we were graduating 20 seniors and only had 35 sisters in the chapter at that point. quota was 75. during our last recruitment we had ALL of the consultants and two people from nationals helping as well as nearby chapters.

pm me if you have any other questions.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
i should probably mention we did constant COB stuff year round. and we had very little alumnae support. deadly combo.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-13-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kallima
Quote:
Originally posted by SigK_Bama
If this is the first year you haven't made quota, I would sweat it.
This is the 3rd year I think that we haven't made quota. Last year we brought in 12 and quota was 31. The year I came in I think there were about 30 of us and we just missed making quota.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

We were issued a letter of challenge as well. The post a few up said something about having a strong AB. That couldn't be more true! We got a new ABC and then we really started cooking. However, during our summer retreat, the stuff hit the fan and I thought we were done for. Our attitudes sucked, we were all mad at each other, and the term sisterhood seemed to be a foriegn concept. Then, we all pulled together and gave it 110% and we were only 5 away from getting quota. Up until this year's recruitment, we were considered the underdogs of campus. Then our stats came back and we got 20 NM's when quota was 25! We beat out one of the bigger chapters on campus...they only got 13! It's all about attitude. If your sisterhood is lacking, have more sisterhood events and maybe try a gavel passing to get everything out in the open. The best thing to do is to keep a positive attitude. NHQ does not like to close chapters. They will do everything humanly possible to keep you guys open, but it's up to you to turn that emotion into actions. You can do it....good luck!
Quote:
One heart, one way. For that is the way of Sigma K.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bsuSK1299
We were issued a letter of challenge as well. The post a few up said something about having a strong AB. That couldn't be more true! We got a new ABC and then we really started cooking. However, during our summer retreat, the stuff hit the fan and I thought we were done for. Our attitudes sucked, we were all mad at each other, and the term sisterhood seemed to be a foriegn concept. Then, we all pulled together and gave it 110% and we were only 5 away from getting quota. Up until this year's recruitment, we were considered the underdogs of campus. Then our stats came back and we got 20 NM's when quota was 25! We beat out one of the bigger chapters on campus...they only got 13! It's all about attitude. If your sisterhood is lacking, have more sisterhood events and maybe try a gavel passing to get everything out in the open. The best thing to do is to keep a positive attitude. NHQ does not like to close chapters. They will do everything humanly possible to keep you guys open, but it's up to you to turn that emotion into actions. You can do it....good luck!
This chapter has gotten a letter of challenge every year for the past few years. Case in point, Kallima, you're not going to get shut down right away. Just bust your butt and things will get better. (I know that sucks, but eventually things have to turn around!!)