Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,626
1 members and 1,625 guests
naraht

Old 04-13-2004, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Seniors

So just a question kids: What did your chapters require tour seniors to go to? Everything? Chapter? Mandatory events (programs) or philanthropy? Nothing? Just wanted to see how other chapters worked this. There's a follup up Q as well, but I want to see some responses first.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Everything. Everyone had to attend chapter/mandatory events and earn enough points to go to social functions (formal/date party/etc.). There was no "special senior status", seniors were expected to set an example for the younger members by remaining active in the chapter.
Other sorority chapters on our campus had special lowered requirements for seniors, but I guess my opinion is if you are going to pay your dues why not get your money's worth out of it. My last semester was so much fun because I didn't hold a position. I got to have all the fun without all the responsibility of planning and carrying out events or going to extra meetings (exec board, panhellenic).
Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Unless you were alum or there were some extenuating circumstances, seniors were expected to be at all of the events just like everyone else.

Ditto on Colleenie in that it was so much more fun to be a Sr because you didn't have to worry about having a position. This, coming rom the person who held positions from Fr year to my first semester of Sr year (finishing up being Pres)! Talk about being burned out.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

due to the stresses of wanting to graduate and actually be in the "real world" my chapter has special senior status. The seniors are only required to go to formal/informal meetings and ritual events. this is only in your last semester of college. they choose what other events they want to go to. this does not mean we love them any less, but we actually give them presents as if they were a new member again and to remind them that sigma kappa is their sorority. after order of the triagle we have senior day and they get to will down all of their stuff they have accumulated as a collegiate member. i am dreading the semester when that comes cuz i love being a (collegiate) sigma kappa!!!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
Quote:
Originally posted by Colleenie
Everything. Everyone had to attend chapter/mandatory events and earn enough points to go to social functions (formal/date party/etc.). There was no "special senior status", seniors were expected to set an example for the younger members by remaining active in the chapter
same here
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UFSigKap
Quote:
Everything. Everyone had to attend chapter/mandatory events and earn enough points to go to social functions (formal/date party/etc.). There was no "special senior status", seniors were expected to set an example for the younger members by remaining active in the chapter.
same for us as well

Sigma Kappa Alumna

University of Florida
Old 04-29-2004, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
we're required to be at everything except socials. most seniors send in excuses for anything that they don't want to do though. after being an active member for four years you just get worn out! plus there's that whole getting a job thing. . .

One Heart One Way. . .