Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,464
3 members and 1,461 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 10-28-2002, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation philantriphy ideas

Hey Ladies,

I have a huge favor to ask all you sisters. I just took over as our formal recruitment chair and I have soo many ideas that I want to incorporate into our formal rush nights. I dont know how your schools do formal recruitment but we have 4 different nights. Our second night is philathropy night so normally we sit and make crafts with the pnms for the ronald mcdonald house. The past 2 yrs we've made wish bracelets with beads but I want to do something different. I know someone has told me they made quilting squares when they went through which I think is cute but I'm looking for new ideas. So any ideas you guys could give me would be great. I'll even take any recruitment ideas/tips, what worked for you what didnt work for you etc etc. I could use all the help i can get.

Loyally,
HBADPi
Old 10-28-2002, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Some of the things my chapter has done are:

make braclets with insperational quotes or what not to cover up hospital braclets

stuff teddy bears that an alumnae association had made

make an insperational book wear each person creates a page with a quote and it ends up being a coffee table type book to sit at the Ronald McDonald House

Those are all the things I can think of right now, but also I know some chapters watch videos of philanthropy activities they have done, or ADPi has done nationally. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

What we did this year for Philanthropy day for formal recuitment was Courage Bands. Courage bans was bands that cover the IV injection site. U make them out of the foam sheets. We had a black band, then had a lion's head cut out glued on the outside. It was cute. If u wanna know more detail. I think I can find it out. Hope that helps. Take care

Pi love,
Ally
Old 10-29-2002, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BetaSigBabe
What we do for our philanthropy night is make Lion Badges of Courage. They're for the children in the hosptial. It's just a sign for them to see how brave we think they are during their time in the hospital. Basically, it's a cartoonish lion head, with the bottom looking like a blue ribbon (you know...the //\\ at the bottom). We make 'em out of felt. Lots of fun for both the sisters and the PMs If you wanna know more about 'em...lemme know
Old 10-29-2002, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I've heard of houses getting fairly small pillows, about 6"x6" or so and then using puff paints and ribbon and iron-on decals to make pillows for the kids, they write inspirational messages or quotes and draw violets or have a lion decal. They're cute, they're easy to make, but they are a little pricey material-wise.

Other than that, I've seen houses decorate cookies, stuff teddy bears, and decorate picture frames.

The picture frame idea is actually a pretty cute one. You can get unfinished wooden 3x5 picture frames in bulk from any store for pretty cheap and then have paint pens and glitter and stuff. On the frame you can write stuff like "On this day I was brave" And then inside the frame, leave a piece of paper that says something nice and that its from ADPi.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I know this night can be a difficult one, I know also that sometimes the local Ronald McDonald chapter ends up with 150 "Courage bands" that they couldn't possibly use within a year. If you are going to make those it's best to ask your local RMH how many they would like to have on hand for the upcoming year and the rest you can donate to the local children's hospital.
When I was rush advising the first thing I had my Rush Chair do was write a letter along with our philanthropy chair asking what our local RMH really NEEDED. We made no mention of recruitment as such, as no RMH should not be asked to come up with ideas that fit into our recruitment, we should simply offer services to them, but we asked them generally if they needed welcome baskets for parents, toys for siblings, courage badges, etc. What types of donations would be welcome? From their response we gathered that parents spent a lot of time waiting around nervously in the hospital so we put together bags with stuff they could use to distract themselves during the many hours of waiting. They consisted of:
Puzzle Magazines:
we found these at Wal Mart. They cost as little as .99 a magazine. Publishers Penny Press and Dell Magazines make good Crosswords puzzle magazines that suit many levels.
Short Stories:
we printed some good, short stories (THAT WERE IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN), and put together booklets.
Stickers:
we put stickers they could give their children as well as siblings that were along with them.
Pens and Pencils:
so they could finish their crosswords.
Note pads.
Maps
of the areas around the local Hospial and around the RMH.
Lists of Restaurants
around the local hospital and around the RMH.
A Card
that had some simple yoga moves that would stretch your back and neck.
Hard Candy.
Mints.

Hope this is helpful.
violets