Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,476
4 members and 1,472 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 09-22-2006, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Appointed to Recruitment Chair

Hey guys,
A good friend and I have just been appointed Recruitment Chairs of the Alpha Omega chapter of Pike. As of right know we are talking with about 8 potential Spring recruits. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on what, and what not to say when talking to potential recruits. We are looking forward to have a record setting Spring pledge class if things go in the righ direction. We appreciate any feeback that we can get.

In the Bonds,

Ben Bower
Alpha Omega PIKE
Recruitment Chair

Last edited by KSUPIKE; 09-22-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Ben,

Congratulations on your appointment as rush chairman of Alpha Omega Chapter. I wonder if you have any idea of just how historic and influential the post that you now hold has been for Pi Kappa Alpha? If you don't know of him already, it wouldn't hurt to research the name Wilson Heller.

Regarding your post, my primary reaction is... Why is Alpha Omega waiting until the spring? It's still September - and it's not like fraternities are subject to National Signing Day restrictions. Even if there are ridiculous IFC "formal rush" rules, there are ways to lock-in these prospects.

If you are unsure of the quality of these prospects, that's one thing. It would then make sense to invite them to select chapter events and evaluate their candidacy. You evaluate candidacy based on PiKA's traditionally accepted standards: scholarship, finance, athletics, conduct and leadership. (In other words, don't fall into the "we think he's a good guy" trap - be thoughtful and deliberate in your evaluations.)

If there is no doubt that a prospect would score high in those areas, there is no reason to delay.

I am going to bet that two of the greatest perceived barriers to acting now are: 1) pledge program length/schedule, and 2) what other fraternities are doing. In regard to the first, know that in PiKA's early days there wasn't pledge education. Also, in most of the world's organizations, orientation takes place after someone is accepted to membership. As wonderful as they are, fraternities "ain't rocket science" and there is no reason why a pledge program couldn't be effectively administered in four weeks. In regard to the latter, by and large the most successful fraternity chapters are contrarians. They don't do what everyone else is doing - the same thing holds true in business. Use this as an opportunity.

Best wishes for a successful year.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay... the moment I hit "submit" I realized a grave error - Heller was initiated at Alpha Nu, not Alpha Omega.

My apologizies!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Something that I'm very proud to announce, is that fact that we are currently recruiting two certified Fireman. They have just completed their training in near buy county, and are dedicated to joining PIKE. I love recuiting the best and the brightest for our house, it's a great feeling.