GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,525
1 members and 1,524 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I survived Bama Rush 2012

Hello and Roll Tide! I’m the user known here as BamaGirlPNM and welcome to my recruitment thread! Before I get started a little background on me: I am not particularly connected into the Greek world at Bama, but I feel as if I have done my research and I know what to expect! I have a good GPA coming out of high school and did all of my recs so I should have my foundation covered. Other than that I don’t have much else to share, so without further adieu I give you my recruitment thread! The sororities all have randomly selected holiday pseudonyms (because who doesn't love holidays?!)

My first impressions going into recruitment are from Panhellenic Preview Weekend are as follows: (Note: Since at preview weekend we only had 9 minutes in each house I don’t remember some of them very well, it’s true when they say it all blends together! )

Christmas: Have a great national organization; I have a non legacy family member who was Christmas; have heard that the chapter is big on high GPA’s and is an all around strong chapter.

Easter: I don’t know much about this chapter or remember anything specific from preview day, but this chapter is strong nationally

Valentine's Day: I have a non legacy family member in this sorority at a different university; their house is very nice. I’ve heard that the girls in this house are nice and known as good girls (which is a good thing to me at least) this house seems well rounded.

Labor Day: I don’t know a lot about this chapter or remember anything specific from preview day

Memorial Day: I really liked this chapter when I visited on Preview Weekend; I talked to a girl from my home state. I hear this chapter is highly competitive to get into (then again aren’t they all??)

New Years: I once again have a non legacy family member who was a member of this sorority. I went to one of their events during preview weekend and I really liked the girl I talked to, the girls seem genuine and nice.

4th of July: I don’t know much about this chapter or remember anything specific from preview day

Halloween: I really liked this chapter when I visited on preview weekend; all of the girls were so put together and beautiful (and mostly blonde, which I am not)

Thanksgiving: When I visited during preview weekend I didn’t get the best impression from the girl I was talking to (she didn’t seem genuine, but maybe she was nervous) but I refuse to judge the whole chapter on just one girl I talked to for nine minutes! A few friends of mine really like this chapter so I think I may have just talked to the wrong girl.

St. Patrick’s Day: I have a non legacy family member who was one of these and I received many facebook friend requests after preview weekend (don’t worry my facebook is clean.) They seem preppy, fun, and enthusiastic.

MLK Day: I don’t know much about this chapter, but I think they’re well known on campus. I remember liking them on preview weekend.

Groundhog Dayy: I really like this sorority’s philanthropy and the whole chapter seemed so put together on preview day. I have heard some not great things about this chapter from friends, but I will be making my own decision.

Earth Day: I don’t remember anything specific from preview day, but I have heard not so great things about this chapter (again I will be making my own judgments)

April Fool’s Day: I really liked this chapter during preview weekend; the girls seemed down to earth and funny. I don’t know much about them other than that.

Arbor Day: The few girls from my hometown (I don’t know them personally) who go to Bama are mostly in this sorority; I liked them at preview weekend but I want my college experience to be different than what I get at home.

Fat Tuesday: I know a girl from my high school in this chapter and although I don’t know her super well I like her and I think she likes me too. This chapter isn’t a “top tier” but it seemed chill and laid back to me, which is a good thing. I think I might fit in good here.

Many girls I know going through rush have a “top 5” sororities in mind and although I don’t know much about each sorority (so these are definitely not the only sororities I’m interested in) I think it might be fun to list out my preconceived “top 5” and see how they compare at the end of each round. Off of my little bit of knowledge and visit from March I rank my top five as :

1. Memorial Day
2. Christmas
3. Halloween
4. Fat Tuesday
5. New Year’s

The first round (two days) will be Open House/ Ice Water Teas! I am a little nervous but mostly excited!

Last edited by BamaGirlPNM; 05-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Well today was the first round of Ice Water Teas and it was absolutely exhausting. Luckily it wasn’t too hot outside, but I still feel dead after just the first day of an 8 day long process! My Rho Chi group met in front of April Fool’s Day as that was the first house we were to attend. My impressions of the first eight houses were as follows:

April Fool’s Day: I was super nervous since this was the first house my group visited, and I think the girl I was talking to was too. Actually, she flat out told me she was. The conversation was jumpy and a little awkward and the party seemed to go on forever! I was glad to be out of there and hoped the rest of the day would be better!

Fat Tuesday: This house was second and I was absolutely relieved when the girl I knew from my high school picked me up at the door. Our conversation was great and totally relaxed; completely different from the first house. I met a few more of the actives who were all really sweet also. I really liked this house.

Valentine’s Day: The girls in this house were stunning! I got picked up by a girl from my home town that I didn’t previously know. She was really sweet but the conversation felt forced and a little fake. She introduced me to the president, recruitment chair, and exec board which was intimidating but made me feel confident that perhaps they liked me. I left this house feeling good.

MLK Day: This house was great! The girl I talked to was really laid back and although it was hard to hear I think she liked me because she asked for my name again before I left the party.

Memorial Day: After all of the hype and thinking I was going to love this house I HATED it! The girl I talked to was so fake and kept looking around like she wasn’t really listening to what I was saying. The conversation was so forced and awkward and the girl practically pushed me out of the door, not to say I wasn’t eager to leave!

Halloween: I would say there was nothing that stuck out (good or bad) for this house. The girl I talked to was nice and she asked my name again (just like at MLK) before I left so I took that as a good sign.

Earth Day: The first girl I talked to at this house was great; but the second girl seemed bored with me, and the third almost refused to contribute more than a few words to the conversation. I felt uncomfortable here and did not want to return.

Groundhog Day: Well I expected to hate this house… and I loved it. The girls I talked to were super bubbly and nice! I felt like this was my best conversation of the day (save the best for last right)

Last edited by BamaGirlPNM; 05-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Day Two:
This day dragged on even more that the last! Here is my first impression of the second eight houses!

New Years: This was the first house I attended on day two of ice water teas. I talked to a girl I had met over preview weekend who I really loved! The second girl I talked to wasn’t quite as enthusiastic but overall I liked this house!

Christmas: I talked to two girls in this house, but neither of them left a real impression other than one of them who kept touching my knee which made me a little uncomfortable. There was nothing overtly bad about this house but it definitely didn’t stand out as one of my favorites.

Thanksgiving: I only talked to one girl in this house but I LOVED it! I felt like I had known the girl my whole life! We had such an easy conversation that it felt like I was talking to my best friend. This was my favorite house so far.

St. Patrick’s Day: The girl I talked to at this house was involved in the same high school activity as I was (which I tried to pretended was a complete coincidence) but we had a pretty good conversation!

4th of July: Okay this is going to sound horrible but I couldn’t focus on ANYTHING because the girl I was talking to was blocking the fan and it was extremely hot in this house! I can’t even tell you what we talked about because I was too concerned that I was starting to visibly sweat. I hope I get a second chance at this house but I don’t really expect one.

Easter: I only talked to one girl at this house and she was pretty sweet and fun to talk to, and their house is absolutely beautiful!

Labor Day: This house was SO loud I couldn't hear anything the active was saying so I feel like that put a really big strain on the conversation. Because of this I don’t expect to be invited back since I don’t think I was able to make an impression.

Arbor Day: This was the last house of the day! I talked to some actives from my hometown and they were nice but nothing really stuck out about this house for me.
At the end of the day it was hard for me to come up with four sororities I would not like to return to, because I mostly liked them all. But I decided my bottom four were (with four being the one I’d least like to return to):

1. Labor Day
2. April Fool’s Day
3. Earth Day
4. Memorial Day

We didn’t rank the other twelve but at this point in my head my top five were:

1. Thanksgiving
2. Groundhog Day
3. Fat Tuesday
4. New Years
5. MLK Day

Last edited by BamaGirlPNM; 05-10-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like the name of the thread should be made into a bid day shirt.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I feel like the name of the thread should be made into a bid day shirt.
Me, too.

Or Panhel could sell them for a fundraiser and each chapter could get them with their Greeks on the back.

MS&T does that with St. Pat's sweatshirts. There is one design for the front and every chapter creates their own design for the back.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Love it!

Yay for a rush thread! I love that you listed your favorites after preview day, and again after ice water teas (and how your favorites had changed). Can't wait to read more.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

We needed a recruitment story! Thank you! Please keep up the fast paced story telling!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Very intriguing! Could I ask you to leave a space between each house, so we don't confuse your experiences? Thank you!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Three:
Well after hours and hours of delays (which no one would really tell us anything about) we began our first day of philanthropy. I was absolutely shocked and elated to find out I was invited back to twelve houses (the maximum permitted for this round) and I had been invited back to my top 5. I was invited back to:
Halloween, Easter, Valentine’s Day, Earth Day, Labor Day, April Fool’s Day, Thanksgiving, New Years, MLK Day, Groundhog Day, Fat Tuesday, and St. Patrick’s Day!

Since the first day was cut short due to delays I visited five houses this day. My impressions were as follows:

Halloween: I really liked their philanthropy but it seemed as if they were trying to pull on everyone’s heart strings a little too much. This house again gave me a neither good nor bad impression.

Easter: Awkward, awkward, AWKWARD! The girl I talked to was really strangely hyper and acted almost like a hyperactive child rather than a composed sorority member. Their philanthropy presentation was cheesy as could be, I could not wait to get out of there.

Valentine’s Day: This house was great! Their philanthropy is one close to my heart and their presentation was so much fun! The girls I talked to were really genuine and down to earth. This house really jumped up to be one of my favorites.

Earth Day: The girl was nice enough but she spit… on my face… not once but twice! As if that wasn’t bad enough I was seated in the back of the room and their video was hard for me to read from the back of the room so I kept squinting; when the girl asked me what I thought of the video I had to admit I couldn’t really see. Things just didn’t mesh well here.

Labor Day: Honestly, I was surprised I was invited back since I couldn't really hear too well on Ice Water Tea day but I’m so glad I was! Their philanthropy presentation was really fun and the girl I talked to was hilarious! I really like this house now!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Very intriguing! Could I ask you to leave a space between each house, so we don't confuse your experiences? Thank you!
Yeah sorry! I hope my last post was better and easier to read!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Four:
After really enjoying the first round of philanthropy day I was excited to see what today would have in store. I visited my remaining seven houses today:

April Fool’s Day: I was excited to give this house another chance sans first party nerves, but I wasn’t too enthralled when I left. Their philanthropy was cool, but the presentation of it was a little cheesy. I didn’t hate it, but I was far from love.

Thanksgiving: I am in love. I love this house so much. Their philanthropy presentation was great and I met the recruitment chair. I was also the last one out of the house which I take as a good sign. I really hope to be invited back, this house is my favorite for the second round in a row!

New Years: After a great first day at this house the second round fell a little flat. They had a “pull your heart strings” type of video which really didn’t get through to me and the girl I talked to seemed kind of bored talking to me. I still like this house, but less so after this round.

MLK Day: I was so excited to be invited back to this round but my time here was kind of awkward. It was really loud in the room and I was sitting on a stool so I tried to lean in closer to the active who was talking and almost fell over. My bad. I don’t think I’ll be invited back.

Groundhog Day: This was one of my favorite houses after the first round but I have to say I wasn’t so captivated after this round. The girls were nice enough and their philanthropy was a good one, but the conversation wasn’t as great as it had been in the previous round. All of the girls in this sorority are also very made up all the time; they kind of remind me of perfect Barbie dolls and that is SO not me, so now I’m questioning if I would fit in here.

Fat Tuesday: The girl I talked to here today was great and really laid back. Their philanthropy is close to my heart, but we really didn’t talk about it that much. Overall I really like this house.

St. Patrick’s Day: I tend to forget about this house a lot, I guess it didn’t really make an impression because I honestly don’t really remember a lot about it. Their video was okay, and the conversation was a little lack luster.

With Philanthropy round over I had to make the “cut” (although I know it’s not really cutting) down to eight houses I’d like to return to for skit. My bottom four houses were:
1. St. Patrick’s Day
2. April Fool’s Day
3. Easter
4. Earth Day

And just for fun my top four houses after this day were:
1. Thanksgiving
2. Fat Tuesday
3. Valentine’s Day
4. Labor Day
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

It is easier to read. Thanks! Please don't make us wait too long!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Thanksgiving!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Day five: Wow it’s Skit day already. I’m excited because I hear that this is everyone’s favorite round. I was ecstatic and again shocked when I opened my schedule to receive eight invitations (the max for that day) and seven of them had been ones I wanted to return to! On the first day of skit I visited these houses:

Fat Tuesday: This house was one of my favorites from the previous days. Their skit was pretty good, but looking back it wasn’t one of my favorite skits. Their snacks were awesome and the conversations I had were great. I could really see myself here.

Groundhog Day: I am kind of sad because this house was one of my favorites on Ice Water Tea but I really don’t feel comfortable here anymore. Their skit was cute, kind of cheesy but entertaining, but I talked to the same girl from philanthropy round and the conversation fell flat. I also just couldn’t see myself as a groundhog. This sorority is great but not for me.

Thanksgiving: This house was great again. Although my time here wasn’t as great as it had been in the previous round I enjoyed the skit. This house remains one of my favorites.

Labor Day: I enjoyed myself here and I got to meet the president! The skit was pretty good and I could see myself fitting in at this house!

St. Patrick’s Day: This was the one house I didn’t want to return to for this round but I tried to keep an open mind. This was my last party of the day and I was exhausted and the girl I was talking to clearly was too. Worst of all, their skit was NOT funny in the least and I had to force some laughter to appear like I was interested. This house is not for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Day Six: Last day before pref! Today I went to:

Halloween: I don’t even remember this skit. So… I guess that’s all I have to say about this house.

Valentine’s Day: Absolutely amazing skit! It was hilarious and I genuinely laughed several times! I talked to probably twenty girls and was seated in the front! I felt really special at this house.

New Years: They also had a hilarious skit! It was so funny and creative. The girl I talked to seemed nice but our conversation was nothing special and pretty average.

For tomorrow I needed to select three sororities I wanted to return to for pref. Narrowing this down from eight to three was difficult for me, but after a lot of thinking I selected (in no particular order): Valentine’s Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.