GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,537
1 members and 1,536 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A "Jersey Shore" Recruitment Story 2012

Hey everyone! So, starting tomorrow, I will be going through Sorority Recruitment and a western school. I'm a Junior transfer student so I don't really know what to expect.
I've been to information sessions and have met some of the sisters in the different houses and I'm so excited to start this process.
My school has 5 NPC Sororities. Since I am a "Jersey Shore" fan (it's a guilty pleasure, okay?) I will be naming the houses after some of the people in the shore house.
1. Snookie
2. Jwoww
3. Pauly D
4. Ronnie
5. Sammi Sweetheart

I don't think this will be a live story, just in case someone from my school figures it out. But I will post as soon as Bid Day gets here!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Probably a smart decision to wait. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1- House Tours

Jwoww- I was so so so nervous going into this house. It was the first and I didn’t know what to expect. But I got an amazing girl who showed me around the house. We never had a moment of silence; we were constantly talking about anything and everything. As she showed me to the door I knew I could see myself in this house with all of these girls.

Sammi Sweetheart- This house was gorgeous! But that was kind of where the enthusiasm ended for me. The girl who I had show me around never told me her name and just kept talking about the girl she was going to bump me to. I got a feeling that she didn’t want to be there. She also asked if I had any questions over and over and I just ran out of things to ask, so we just sat in silence until it was time to bump. The girl she bumped me to was very quiet and the house was so loud. She also seemed like she didn’t want to be there or talking to me at all. I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I was so relieved when I saw the door. Did not click there at all.

Snookie- When I looked at all of the houses on the Panhellenic website, this is the house I died over. They’re considered the top house and have the highest GPA. Now my GPA was crap but I really want to turn everything around and this seemed like the perfect place to do it. The girl I got was so much fun! I love love loved her to death. The only problem? She wouldn’t stop talking! I couldn’t ask any questions and we only got as deep as my year in school and where I transferred from, which really doesn’t describe me at all. I wanted to come back to this house so badly, though!

Ronnie- These girls have kind of a reputation on campus and being a little bit larger, which I honestly didn’t see at all. But whatever, I went in with an open mind. My girl was really upbeat and fun. We literally had a 10 minute conversation on the weather but it got a little deeper as the tour went on. I left actually liking this house and hoped to be invited back.

Pauly D- The last house of the round was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen, it meant the night was almost over! It had been such a long process and I was ready to start ranking! The first girl I had was a little bit awkward at first and there was a lot of silence and grasping at straws. But it did get better when we talked about travelling. I was then bumped to another girl and she was fantastic. I had the most real conversations with her. It was awesome! She was actually the only one I gave a hug on the way out. I felt like I had known her my whole life! I definitely wanted to come back.

My rankings (in no particular order)

1. Jwoww
1. Snookie
1. Ronnie
1. Pauly D
2. Sammi Sweetheart
Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2- Philanthropy Night

We got to our Rho Gamma meeting area and the handed out our schedules. I was so nervous. We were allowed to got back to four. I opened my schedule and…my heart dropped. One house. Only one. I seriously wanted to cry but I held myself together and sucked it up. The house that wanted me was Pauly D. I wanted them to so I was going to make the best out of it. It was hard not to think about what went wrong at the other houses. I’m pretty sure it was my GPA and the fact I am a junior. But I was glad not to be dropped from Recruitment altogether. So I got myself psyched up and headed to my one and only party of the day.

Pauly D- I didn’t know too much about their Philanthropy so I was a little nervous. But the first girl I got, who was awesome and was kind of in the same predicament I was when she rushed, explained the whole Philanthropy to me and it’s great. I then got bumped to another girl who I felt I clicked more with than the first and we just talked and talked. I was sad when she bumped me to another girl, but she was even better! We talked like we were best friends and making faces at gross things we talked about (I interned with a surgeon so I talked about that). We were supposed to be doing a craft during this time but I never actually started, I was just talking the whole time! We then went to their living room and saw a presentation on their calendar and then on their Philanthropy. The third girl was there the whole time and as we walked to the door we talked about both loving kids and wanting to work with them. I actually gave her a hug as I walked out. I was dying to come back another day! If not, then I’d be dropped from Recruitment altogether.

I still went to rankings and ranked like this, obviously:

1. Pauly D
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 3- Skit Night

I was so nervous all morning sitting by the phone waiting for a call. I don’t know why but I had a bad feeling. Then my phone starts ringing and my heart is racing. I look at the caller ID…it’s my Rho Gamma. And I know. I answer and she tells me I don’t have any more parties and that I will not continue with Recruitment. I immediately burst into tears. I felt really bad but I just couldn’t stop. She was talking about joining other clubs and possibly Spring Recruitment. I called my mom sobbing and she told me to come home (which is 10 minutes away from school). So I’m going to spend the day with my family. Right now I just don’t know what to do. It’s hurtful to feel that no one wants you. But I guess it’s all for the best. I just don’t know…
Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

((A thousand hugs))
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

And more {{{hugs}}}. Maybe in the "everything happens for a reason" mindset, this will give you more time to focus on bringing that gpa up? Even so, I'm really sorry you're hurting right now.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

So I slept on it and have decided to go through COB in the spring. For now I'll be joining a club for my major and focus on getting my grades to where I want them.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in your shoes almost 8 years ago and I know how you feel. Tons of hugs your way. I lived 4 hours from home with no car so my mom ended up driving back up. She and my 4 roommates were actually the ones who looked up other ways to get involved on campus.

I woke up the next morning and told myself that while I was upset that this was not the worst thing that would happen to be me in life (it seemed like it the night before though). Within three weeks I had rushed and joined a co-ed honors fraternity (Phi Sigma Pi). They had a philanthropy that I loved, promoted leadership, and had a social aspect that I was also looking for. My second semester with them I became the service chair and was on the e-committee for my 2 remaining years with them. It was something that I was wary about at first, but it really turned into a blessing. I even ended up with a career in education after volunteering with the philanthropy (Teach for America).

My neighbor growing up was in a similar situation and she ended up joining Alpha Phi Omega (a co-ed service fraternity). She had a blast. She met women who were in sororities and ended up doing formal the next year after she knew some of the sorority members and ended up getting a bid.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you PackPride. I'm also planning to do the same thing, if the possibility arises.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Venusloves, I'm hoping to meet some sorority girls in the club I'm joining since it's a popular major and I actually met girls going through Recruitment that had my same major. Se here's to hoping!

misscherrypie, good for you girl! It'll all work out in the end!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone! I've just been through COB/Spring Recruitment and will update soon!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like there was a happy ending to your story... can't wait to hear from you!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, I'm excited to hear how it went!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I am excited to hear more, too! Good for you for giving it another try!