Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,181
1 members and 1,180 guests
scrapinfificat

Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Mu Alpha Brothers Win Prominent Service Award

i-Newswire, 2005-05-01 - Created in honor of the late Lena Landegger by the Landegger Charitable Foundation, this year's awards mark the 10th anniversary of the program and provide an opportunity for Georgetown to celebrate its deep tradition of community service. Students receiving the award will also be recognized at Senior Convocation on May 19, 2005.

“The students receiving the Landegger Awards this year have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to serving their communities,” said Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs. “They are truly men and women for others, and Georgetown is proud to honor them with these awards.”

The following students are this year’s winners: (More won, but these are the Brothers. --RD)

John Goodman, Philadelphia, Pa. — International Politics ( SFS ’06 )

Currently studying abroad in Niamey, Niger, John has deepened his commitment to service through volunteer work at an African children’s orphanage and a global health non-profit. At Georgetown, he has held leadership positions in the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and has been involved in fundraising activities for D.C.’s Children’s Hospital. “[Service] taught me that … life would not take me where I wanted to go but it would always send me where I need to be,” he said.

Charles Harris, Great Barrington, Mass. — French and Government ( C ’05 )

At Georgetown, Charles has been involved significantly in the D.C. Schools Project and the Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity. He has also worked as an English teacher in Eastern Europe and volunteered at a non-profit organization in Senegal. “These experiences gave me the idea that what I was learning during the day had real effects outside of my classroom,” he said.

N. Rashad Jones, Atlanta, Ga. — International Politics ( SFS ’06 )

Rashad is a co-founder of an all-male campus sexual assault prevention group, Georgetown University Men Advocating Relationship Responsibility ( GUMARR. ) As the ambassador for GUMARR, he organizes service opportunities for the group at Washington locations such as the Calvary Women’s Shelter. Rashad has also been involved in Georgetown’s Partnership in Athletics, Community Service and Tutoring ( PACT ) and is a board member for the Student Safety Advisory Board. “Since I was young, I have always been taught that doing service is one of the greatest ways I could ever succeed in life,” he said of his volunteer work.

Elizabeth Walley, Glenshaw, Pa. — Nursing ( NHS ’06 )

As a leader of Georgetown’s service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega, Elizabeth has been involved in dozens of service projects around the Washington area. She has also helped to organize Hoyathon, an annual fundraiser for the Children’s National Medical Center. “Service is not to take care of the helpless but to empower the hopeless,” Elizabeth said of her experiences.

Erica Weisgerber, Amityville, N.Y. — Government and Russian ( C ’05 )

Erica had been involved with Alpha Phi Omega as a volunteer and student leader since 2002. As a dancer in the annual student fundraiser Hoyathon, she has also helped to raise thousands of dollars for the Children’s National Medical Center. Additionally, Erica has served as an intern on Capitol Hill and on Georgetown’s Student Activity Commission. Erica says of her volunteer work, “I have developed a commitment to service that has transformed me.”

About Georgetown University

Georgetown University is the oldest Catholic and Jesuit university in America, founded in 1789 by Archbishop John Carroll. Georgetown today is a major student-centered, international, research university offering respected undergraduate, graduate and professional programs on its three campuses. For more information about Georgetown University, visit www.georgetown.edu.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Wow! Congrats to all of them. That is impressive.