Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,493
1 members and 1,492 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

08-09 recruitment

Hi! I just talked to one of the actives at UGA and they are so excited about their new baby angels! And I talked to a friend who is an alum and current parent at Bama. She said they had great return rates this year and picked up great girls.

Yeah Pi Phi!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Woo!

I'm so excited for our recruitment to start. I'm deathly afraid, having never gone through formal, but I'm excited to meet all our new baby angels!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Also -- any clue on how many baby angels we got at UGA and Bama?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA was 62 with quota being 58.

I forget what my friend at bama said, but i think by now we can look it up

I wrote a rec for someone going through at UT-Austin. So now i'm looking forward to seeing how that one plays out.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Any word on how it's going at Arkansas?????
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Florida State

All the sororities made quota (48), but I don't know if Florida Beta took any additions. Great job, ladies!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The Tennessee Gamma chapter at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville made quota plus eight, for a total of 56 new members!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Results for Pi Beta Phi (taken from our members only section, so I'm assuming they are accurate)

Univ of Arizona 67
University of Florida 48
Univ of Idaho 29
Univ of New Mexico 32
Univ of Oklahoma 74
Oklahoma State 51
Univ of Louisville 26
Iowa State 29
University of Iowa 28
Kansas State 47
LSU 77
Univ of Missouri 29
Univ of Nebraska 44
Texas A&M 57

Congrats to all!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ASU recruitment

This is one of those posts where the mom is sad that her daughter didn't get into the house she had always aspired to belong to. We had an exhausting weekend! Although we had done lots of research over the past year, I didn't realize that I could have solicited recommendation letters from alumni we are acquainted with. My daughter had hoped that the fact that she was a Brownlee would have helped, and we thought it was really cool that they had our family crest as their own. In fact we took it as sign that that's where she belonged.
She was picked to continue with them until when she arrived Sunday. She called me devastated that she wasn't invited back, but went ahead with an open mind to visit the two houses that had invited her back. She politely declined an offer from one house, but went back last night and received a bid from the other. She really has been trying to have an open mind, but she says she has little in common with this group of young ladies, and her heart is just not into it. She hasn't met anyone there she can relate to, and is wondering why they even would pick her.
My question is this: Should she keep trying to find some common ground with this group, or should she wait until next year and re-bid? And if you were rejected once, are the odds against you for a successful bid the second time? She is feeling so discouraged with the whole process.
My daughter is extremely social, was a cheerleader for four years in high school, also played in the marching band for two years, & had a 3.8 gpa in high school. She's very cute and gets along well with almost anyone.
Anyone have any ideas what she can do to help her chances next time? Or would she always feel that since they didn't choose her the first time, she didn't really belong? She has dealt with rejection before, so this is not the big issue. It's more a matter of she really liked these girls and felt like she fit in, what went wrong? Thanks for any advice, mom
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvgoldens24 View Post
This is one of those posts where the mom is sad that her daughter didn't get into the house she had always aspired to belong to. We had an exhausting weekend! Although we had done lots of research over the past year, I didn't realize that I could have solicited recommendation letters from alumni we are acquainted with. My daughter had hoped that the fact that she was a Brownlee would have helped, and we thought it was really cool that they had our family crest as their own. In fact we took it as sign that that's where she belonged.
She was picked to continue with them until when she arrived Sunday. She called me devastated that she wasn't invited back, but went ahead with an open mind to visit the two houses that had invited her back. She politely declined an offer from one house, but went back last night and received a bid from the other. She really has been trying to have an open mind, but she says she has little in common with this group of young ladies, and her heart is just not into it. She hasn't met anyone there she can relate to, and is wondering why they even would pick her.
My question is this: Should she keep trying to find some common ground with this group, or should she wait until next year and re-bid? And if you were rejected once, are the odds against you for a successful bid the second time? She is feeling so discouraged with the whole process.
My daughter is extremely social, was a cheerleader for four years in high school, also played in the marching band for two years, & had a 3.8 gpa in high school. She's very cute and gets along well with almost anyone.
Anyone have any ideas what she can do to help her chances next time? Or would she always feel that since they didn't choose her the first time, she didn't really belong? She has dealt with rejection before, so this is not the big issue. It's more a matter of she really liked these girls and felt like she fit in, what went wrong? Thanks for any advice, mom
Hi there. Sorry you daughter did not get the bid to her ideal sorority.

I would strongly recommend that she stick with the house she pledged. Many girls feel so-so about the houses they pledge for a few days or even weeks. But often by initiation they are feeling great about the chapter and couldn't see themselves anywhere else!

I don't know the specifics of ASU, but oftentimes it is difficult to get a bid as a sophomore. It's also nice to have impressive statistics like your daughter does, but that doesn't mean much in formal recruitment. Many of the girls will have the same or similar lines on their resumes.

The one thing that might have been a problem is the recommendations. At some schools those are very, very important to have. However I do NOT recommend thinking that going through next year with recommendations will solve the situation to your satisfaction. There are many other reasons why a PNM can be released. None of us can really answer why your daughter was released. To respond to your question of "It's more a matter of she really liked these girls and felt like she fit in, what went wrong?," the most likely reason is that Pi Phi did not feel a similar fit.

I'm sorry for your daughter's hurt and I truly hope that she grows to love the chapter she has pledged. I think that is way more likely to happen than you realize.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvgoldens24 View Post
She hasn't met anyone there she can relate to, and is wondering why they even would pick her.
The fact of the matter is....they DID pick her. They saw something in her that they liked and thought would be good for their sorority...and they thought their sorority would be good for her.

She won't have better chances next time around unless she has some kind of superstar stellar campus involvement or becomes Miss America or something.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

If she becomes Miss America she won't have time for a sorority! Her best friend is Miss Teen Arizona, does that help? I talked to her last night and she saw the new pledges, she didn't think they weren't picked for their beauty. And being a Brownlee didn't get her a spot either. She just thought the girls were really fun and nice, plus as she put it, "They all had hair like mine!" As only an 18 year old would see it!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:28 PM

I was just using Miss America as an example of a very large accolade that would draw attention to her - not as a comment on looks (hers or anyone's).

I don't know what a "Brownlee" is, unless it's your last name and you like own lots of things and stuff.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what a "Brownlee" is, unless it's your last name and you like own lots of things and stuff.[/quote]

Emma Brownlee Kilgore
1848-1925
A true leader and Pi Beta Phi's first president. The coat of arms of Pi Beta Phi is derived from those of the Brownlee family.

Also her little sister Clara was one of the first members. I do have too much stuff, at least that's what my grouchy old husband says.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM

O I C. I didn't realize this was the Pi Phi forum, LOL.