GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,196
0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledging with criminal record

Hello All,

I come to you because I need some advice.

I am currently attempting to become a member of a graduate chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha. I am almost certain that they will do a background check during the application process.

About 2 and a half years ago (April 2009) I got into a fight and was charged with 2nd degree assault, a misdemeanor in my state. The case was dismissed and I have since learned my lesson. I was 20 and in college at the time and realize that it was a stupid thing to do, but it was also a learning experience.

My record is not expunged so I am worried that they will see this and will hold it against me. Aside from this, I believe I have wonderful credentials and would make a great member, but I'm just worried whoever reviews applications wont look past this.

Can anyone shed some insight.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksentra View Post
Hello All,

I come to you because I need some advice.

I am currently attempting to become a member of a graduate chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha. I am almost certain that they will do a background check during the application process.

About 2 and a half years ago (April 2009) I got into a fight and was charged with 2nd degree assault, a misdemeanor in my state. The case was dismissed and I have since learned my lesson. I was 20 and in college at the time and realize that it was a stupid thing to do, but it was also a learning experience.

My record is not expunged so I am worried that they will see this and will hold it against me. Aside from this, I believe I have wonderful credentials and would make a great member, but I'm just worried whoever reviews applications wont look past this.

Can anyone shed some insight.

Thanks.
If a case is dismissed, it still shows up on your record?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the record of my arrest and going to trial will still show up. However, it will also say the case was dismissed.

In order for nothing to show up my record has to be expunged. I recently began the process of getting my record expunged (after learning that a friend of mine who is pledging into a black sorority had to do a background check) but I'm certain that everything wont be cleared until AFTER they request a background check.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm way out of my lane here, so I won't even begin to comment on how an organization might view this.

I will just point out that there is nothing you can do about it, so sweating it isn't going to help you in any way.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
If a case is dismissed, it still shows up on your record?
In Oklahoma, which is all I can really speak for, all of our records are online for the major counties. Everything in one central database so everyone knows everyone's business.

What he's describing is what we'd call here a suspended or deferred sentence. In other words, they set out an amount of time, then the case is dismissed, but it still comes up under your name until you have it expunged. Since it's a violent offense, different rules may apply.

No idea how that affects your recruitment prospects or if that's even how it works in your state, best of luck.

I can say that as chapter adviser, I do run our new members' names through the system as I once did that AFTER pledging someone with a felony arson conviction. I doubt many groups do it though as a matter of practice.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What he's describing is what we'd call here a suspended or deferred sentence. In other words, they set out an amount of time, then the case is dismissed, but it still comes up under your name until you have it expunged. Since it's a violent offense, different rules may apply.
I haven't had to deal with this *knocks on wood* but I was always under the impression that dismissals didn't show up on your record. Interesting. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I haven't had to deal with this *knocks on wood* but I was always under the impression that dismissals didn't show up on your record. Interesting. Thanks.
Probably depends on the way your state handles its public records. If you're in Texas, you're in luck. They're a hot mess which varies greatly from county to county. In Oklahoma, on the other hand, all of our major counties are on a free public records database, everything from case information to images of all of the pleadings filed in a given case to Dept. of Corrections profiles for every inmate available to anyone anytime without a login/password or paying any kind of fee.

For our smaller counties, we have a public records system which you have to pay about $500/year for full access and have docket review access for free. We're moving over to a system for all 77 counties though, which will maybe even be more accessible.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned

As with most aspirant questions, contact Alpha Phi Alpha NHQ.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
As with most aspirant questions, contact Alpha Phi Alpha NHQ.
Thanks, I guess I'll try this.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll lane swerve too. I wouldn't. Don't bring it up. It was a mistake of your youth and it may or may not be a hindrance to your membership, but you don't have to tell them your life story. If they ask you for clarification, be completely honest - DON'T LIE - but this is not something that needs to be addressed preemptively.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Lane swerving here, but on crimes in general: if it was dismissed, then it doesn't count. Yes, your arrest is on your records, but it shouldn't show up in criminal background checks. It's really up to you whether or not you disclose it, hence the whole point of dismissal.

On a similar vein: suppose you were arrested for a crime you did not commit. You go to court, and the prosecutor couldn't prove the case (since you didn't commit the crime). The case gets dismissed. Yeah, the arrest record is still there, because you were arrested, but it shouldn't be held against you (nor are you a criminal) since it was just an arrest.

Yeah, people can still judge you based on arrests, but unless you're actually found/pled guilty, there's no need to bring it up.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

It all depends on how much the rush chair cares. If the group is a top house, then perhaps they'll look more into it and deny you a bid. But moderate houses shouldn't hold it against you. Neither should anyone else, but life is life.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
It all depends on how much the rush chair cares. If the group is a top house, then perhaps they'll look more into it and deny you a bid. But moderate houses shouldn't hold it against you. Neither should anyone else, but life is life.
You are taking about apples, he is talking about oranges. Actually, it's more like apples and chocolate cake...it's just that different.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

And that's why NPHC aspirant questions do not belong on Greekchat (or at least not outside of the respective NPHC organizations' forums). The OP and the Alphas will figure this out from start to finish.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-01-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Your ignorance of how NPHC fraternities differ from your fraternity is showing.