GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,301
2 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2002, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
3 Sigma Pi's charged in assault

They were arrested for beating a guy very badly because they thought he stole a fraternity paddle. The paddle was actually stolen by some girls ....

http://keystoneonline.com/story.asp?Art_id=462
Old 12-09-2002, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Something is wrong when anyone resorts to violence to solve a minute problem such as this. Something is fundamentally wrong with a chapter that would promote behavior like that. In all likelihood this type of behavior is probably normal in this chapter. A group that would have done such a thing was just suspended by their HQ on my campus. They only brought back 7 of their old members and have actually turned around for the better.

Very disappointing to hear fraternity men acting like common thugs though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-09-2002, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
In all likelihood this type of behavior is probably normal in this chapter

Just a reminder, 3 Sigma Pi's committed this act, not the chapter.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

In my experience when you see a smaller group as part of a larger group act like this they are just following the larger group's norms. It's doubtful they were in the same pledge class, ages 19, 22 and 25.

Sure I'm jumping to a hell of a conclusion here but it's not all too far fetched. I know of plenty of chapters (several on my own campus) where acting like thugs is just the order of business. The fact that this goes on in ANY chapter and with even one member is BS.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-09-2002, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
It's horrible for this guy to get beaten that bad! Unfortunately the same happened to one of my good friends. Some guys from one fraternity busted into the house of another and beat the crap out of him, sending him to the hospital. But no one pressed charges.

Just because a couple of the guys from one fraternity went to another fraternity and did this, doesn't mean the WHOLE fraternity is like that. And that one chapter has turned itself around and actually doesn't like a few of the alumni that much (who would consist of the guys who beat up the other).

KLTC
Old 12-09-2002, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree 100%
Old 12-09-2002, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessPhiSig
Thanks Sigma Sage for sticking up for them. Because you know what? I go to that school, and the President of Sig Pi had no idea this was going to happen. This is the first I have known of this happening. By no means is the chapter of Sig Pi here vicious, in fact they are a good group of guys. Just because 3 brothers did something wrong, doesn't mean it is a reflection on the entire chapter.

So ktsnake, don't generalize just because three of their brothers did something. Don't make assumptions on an otherwise respectable group of men. You think the brothers that assaulted someone are going to be let off for this? Of course not, they are in lots of trouble, in both the chapter and with the law.

I am infuriated that those brothers did this. No one needs to be assaulted over something as silly as a paddle. Not when someone could have asked people and found out where it actually was.

And also, the unfortunate thing about this article in our shoddy school newspaper, is that our Lambda Chi has been feverishly trying to make the front page for good Greek happenings. They have tried to do this 4 times, but when bad things occur, it makes the front page. No wonder Greek Life, for a lack of better word, sucks here. It doesn't help that people posted this article on here, no offense and all, but this is just part of a huge problem at my campus that won't help the situation in the least.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessPhiSig
And also, the unfortunate thing about this article in our shoddy school newspaper, is that our Lambda Chi has been feverishly trying to make the front page for good Greek happenings. They have tried to do this 4 times, but when bad things occur, it makes the front page. No wonder Greek Life, for a lack of better word, sucks here. It doesn't help that people posted this article on here, no offense and all, but this is just part of a huge problem at my campus that won't help the situation in the least.
Please pardon the unsubstantiated generalization. I have never seen your school newspaper, but the linked article was one of the worst, most amateurish pieces I've ever seen in a college publication.

We will have to take your word for whether the paper has an anti-Greek slant, but this thing sounded more like a junior high journalsim assignment than anything else.

As regards the posting of the article, I would argue that it is important that we all know and understand both the good and bad things that happen, and defend zntke's action. Had the article been a positive one, I'm sure nobody would complain.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 12-09-2002 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessPhiSig
Your generalization was correct on this newspaper. Try reading the rest of the articles...if you can get through them.

About posting this article, I do understand people post these types of articles, but it just seems like every article posted here is negative. My school or not, I would like to see positive things posted as an exchange for negative ones. I don't understand how to be so positive about Greeks if I am surrounded by negativity.

I have absolutely nothing against the original poster of the article at all. Please don't get me wrong. It is just that the state of Greeks at my school is more frustrating than you could imagine.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
This is the risk management forum. The forum to talk about bad things to prevent them. Thats risk management. For possitve articles try the greek life forum, thats where I post mine at least.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

THat article was the worst piece of writing I've ever seen.

I had to laugh at how badly it was written