GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,572
3 members and 1,569 guests
amIblue?, John

Old 08-02-2000, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry gasoline prices

What does everyone think of the gas prices lately? Instead of putting in $5 and getting my tank half full, it costs me $10 to get it 'almost' half full! It really pisses me off. Do they think that everyone is made of money around here? We supply Iran with food and weapons. All Clinton has to do is raise the prices for the food and weapons. It doesn't take a genius to figure all this out.

Tell me what you think.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

it has actually went down here in Indiana. Of course those days of 99 cent gas are far gone, but it's better than that 2 dollar stuff we had a while ago.
Old 08-03-2000, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I've heard gas prices are skyrocketing back in the states. But as I've heard it, gas prices are cheaper in the states than most other countries, so count yourselves lucky.
Old 08-03-2000, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi everybody,
just a little example - in Germany we currently pay little less than a US-Dollar for a liter, that is approximately a quarter gallon! Count yourself lucky!
I think it has nothing to do with Iran - Venezuela, Mexico, Saudi-Arabia and lots of other countries are members of the OPEC and thus control crude oil prices.
Old 08-04-2000, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Cool

matt you said it before I could! Germany has the highest prices, so Im not about to complain. I remember paying about four dollars a gallon when I was there. When I was in Australia, it was high there too. I dont mind though about todays prices. I dont really care that gas is 1.50 here. I just grin and bear it, worrying about something so trivial as a gallon of gas will give you a heart attack.

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 08-05-2000, 04:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Red face

Here's your reply from up north. Lately in BC it has been about 72.9 cents/litre (CAD). So it is better than it has been, but I long for the days of 50 something cents per litre
Old 08-05-2000, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not even that gas prices are that high in the U.S... it's that they are heavily taxexd. (Around $.40/gallon). So if you're paying $1.50, the cost is only about $1.10, you just have to give all that extra cash to Uncle Sam.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-05-2000, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm the tree-hugger type, so I'm thinking, maybe this will help us cut back on driving so much and it will be better for our environment as a whole
Old 08-05-2000, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

just to add some info - in Germany half of the gas price is tax! That makes things a little funny because our current government wants us to drive less for environmental reasons (that what they say...) and is, on the other hand, the one that profits most from those who drive most. Pretty paradox......
Old 08-05-2000, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to be able to utilize public transportation more. Unfortunately, where I live it's terrible, and you can't rely on it to get you to and from work on time every day.

I did recently move to an area where I can walk or bike to most of the places I need to go, which is really nice.

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-07-2000, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Blu-Theatrics, where you at in Indiana? I go to school in Terre Haute, and live near Bloomington.

The reason gas is cheaper in Indiana is because the Governor suspended the gas tax for a month. However, it's 15 cents cheaper in Indianapolis than it is where I live! That's rediculous!

It's not the fact that we have to pay $1.40 per gallon for gas. Like it was said, that's cheap compared to other countries. What sucks is that gas prices doubled in a year! At the end of my freshman year, I paid $0.70 per gallon, and early this summer, it was actually tripled in some places. THAT, is what gets me!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-07-2000, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Angry

Katelyn,

We don't supply Iran with food OR weapons. And most oil comes from a consortium of oil providers called OPEC, which is comprised of many different countries.

ZetaAce

Quote:
Originally posted by Katelyn:
What does everyone think of the gas prices lately? Instead of putting in $5 and getting my tank half full, it costs me $10 to get it 'almost' half full! It really pisses me off. Do they think that everyone is made of money around here? We supply Iran with food and weapons. All Clinton has to do is raise the prices for the food and weapons. It doesn't take a genius to figure all this out.

Tell me what you think.
Old 08-07-2000, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes the gas prices do suck. Is anyone in Michigan? I just went to Indiana last week and I didn't know it was cheaper there! It made me wanna fill up some gas cans and take'em back w/ me LOL! But I wish Michigan would lower their prices like some of the other surrounding states have. My parents just helped me buy a Jeep and boy does that thing guzzle some gas! I want my little Shadow back...well not really. But I would enjoy it right now as far as buying gas goes

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi
Old 08-07-2000, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Talking

Ya know,

John Denver has his own gasoline reserves (he bought thousands of gallons a long time ago, when it was thought the supply would run out). Lets go raid his supplies!

Easy E
Old 08-08-2000, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

ZChi-

I'm in Ohio, so I'm feelin' ya on the supa high gas prices. I heard (as in, I have no information to actually back this up) that the midwest was being used as a test market to see how people react to prices being increased so much and so fast. (Which explains why it's $.30/gallon cheaper in Georgia, but I don't know about Indiana). Anyways, the midwest is the general test market for lots of national things, so it would make sense, if it is true. Sucks to be average midwesterners, eh?

matthewg-
you're right, gas is cheap in the U.S. compared to other (European) countries. But Americans are used to getting a great abundance for a little cost (have you seen the portions restaurants hand out over here?!)

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter