GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 823
1 members and 822 guests
Low D Flat

Old 04-12-2001, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Breast Cancer

I recently lost someone due to breast cancer I was wondering if any of you have experienced this or may be living with it. What is your situation?
Old 04-18-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

CodeBlue_R3 and to all that will read,

I saw this post/thread and had to reply. First and foremost let me say that I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I'll pray about it. This past December I went to the doctor for my annual physical. Everything seemed to be going well throughout the exam so I wasn't worried. The doctor started doing my breast exam and I saw the expression on her face completely change to one that seemed quite concerned...then she said, "Uh-oh." I was thinking to myself, "Uh-oh???? WTF do you mean 'Uh-oh'??? " She told me that she'd found a lump in my left breast that she thought could be cancerous and I literally felt my heart stop. I had to hold back my tears as she explained more in depth. As she spoke, I was thinking..."I'm only 20! Barely 20! How could this happen to me? WTF???" I was so scared that I told no one but my mom and I told her not to tell anyone as if it were a terrible secret. The only other person I've told is my boyfriend & my cousin.....and now all that will read this. Having the chance to get this off my chest (no pun intended) feels good...but now I have to face the music and go see the doctor again to see if my lump is cancerous. I'm scared as hell. Wish me luck, and whoever reads this can feel free to email me.

SF,
CinnamonInsight
Old 04-18-2001, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CinnamonInsight:
CodeBlue_R3 and to all that will read,

I saw this post/thread and had to reply. First and foremost let me say that I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I'll pray about it. This past December I went to the doctor for my annual physical. Everything seemed to be going well throughout the exam so I wasn't worried. The doctor started doing my breast exam and I saw the expression on her face completely change to one that seemed quite concerned...then she said, "Uh-oh." I was thinking to myself, "Uh-oh???? WTF do you mean 'Uh-oh'??? " She told me that she'd found a lump in my left breast that she thought could be cancerous and I literally felt my heart stop. I had to hold back my tears as she explained more in depth. As she spoke, I was thinking..."I'm only 20! Barely 20! How could this happen to me? WTF???" I was so scared that I told no one but my mom and I told her not to tell anyone as if it were a terrible secret. The only other person I've told is my boyfriend & my cousin.....and now all that will read this. Having the chance to get this off my chest (no pun intended) feels good...but now I have to face the music and go see the doctor again to see if my lump is cancerous. I'm scared as hell. Wish me luck, and whoever reads this can feel free to email me.

SF,
CinnamonInsight
While I am truly sorry to learn of your misfortune. I am DUMBFOUNDED as to why either you or your doctor would allow 4 months to go by without getting a possibly cancerous lump tested?? My father was diagnosed with stomach cancer in December and was dead in January.

I say this out of human concern and compassion. PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR!! It is your life that is at stake.

TO ALL PEOPLE: CANCER IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4:
While I am truly sorry to learn of your misfortune. I am DUMBFOUNDED as to why either you or your doctor would allow 4 months to go by without getting a possibly cancerous lump tested?? My father was diagnosed with stomach cancer in December and was dead in January.

I say this out of human concern and compassion. PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR!! It is your life that is at stake.

TO ALL PEOPLE: CANCER IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH!!!
AMEN!!! I heard on the news this morning that this week is African American Cancer Awareness Week (or something like that). The report said that A-A have higher incidences of death for cancer than our counterparts of other ethnicities. Cinnamon, I am not trying to scare you, I'm really not, but one of the prime reasons that was given was lack of early detection. I have a very good friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer when in her early 30s. She has been 100% o.k. because they caught it early and were able to treat it. As CrimsonTide said GO TO THE DOCTOR and know that we will be praying for you!!
Old 04-18-2001, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Zeta Tau Alpha's national philanthropy is the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. We raise money for the fund in addition to providing breast cancer information to 1000's of women (and men) annually. I would be glad to send anyone a shower card (detailing how to perform a self-exam) and pink-ribbon reminder stickers for your calendars. Alternately, I can put you in touch with the ZTA chapter in your area where you can get an unlimited supply of shower cards and sticker sheets for distribution.

One of my best friends lost a breast last year and this has affected me greatly. Young women, minorities and men are at the most risk for dying from this type of cancer because, unfortunately, they are the least-likely to perform monthly self exams.

For more information, please visit http://www.komen.org.

Fraternally,
Barbara Lyons
Rush Forum Moderator
Alumna, Zeta Tau Alpha
Old 04-18-2001, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Talking

I am going to volunteer for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure here in June. I am too out of shape, at this point, to run, but, Lord willing, I will run this race (not sure about timing) next year.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I thank you all for your concern, advice, and info. Tomorrow the new schedules are posted at my job, and I will know my days off...so...I'll take advantage of that time and I'll be at the doctor's office (if there are any open times available). Even if there are no times available, I will take the next available date. My doctor's office kept calling me to get me to come back in for a check-up, BUT it was my own fear that kept me away. I know what I have to do, and I must do that soon. My great grandmother died of liver cancer in '97, because it was diagnosed far too late...and that's more than enough motivation for me to go to the doc!