Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,305
1 members and 1,304 guests
AOIIalum

Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Beta Theta Pi Resignation advice

I got initiated into beta my freshman year and my colony got shut down, a semester later. I want to rush another fraternity at my school since beta did not really provide me with that fraternity experience. My colony was shut down prematurely. I want to resign and join another fraternity. My questions are, If i turn in my resignation letter will they approve it? Can they deny my resignation?. I have a friend who was from another fraternity and they denied his. I'm anxious about this, because some other fraternities at my school have shown interest in me joining them. Please, don't judge me.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta's national headquarters is where you should direct your questions. We have no idea.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

If you weren't initiated as a full member, you should be eligible to join any other fraternity without any further action on your part with regard to Beta.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If you weren't initiated as a full member, you should be eligible to join any other fraternity without any further action on your part with regard to Beta.
He said he was initiated in the first sentence.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
He said he was initiated in the first sentence.
Missed that.

He might contact Beta HQ to determine whether he really was initiated. I could see where a colony member might confuse a colony pledge ceremony with full initiation.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Missed that.

He might contact Beta HQ to determine whether he really was initiated. I could see where a colony member might confuse a colony pledge ceremony with full initiation.
Agree. In many colony instances (at least with sororities), initiation does not happen until the colony has fulfilled all the requirements to become a full fledged chapter. If the OP's colony was closed before it became a chapter, then this might also be the case, and he might be misconstruing the pledge ceremony for an initiation ceremony. If that is so, then the OP should be free to rush again.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NickoJCU
I understand that your Colony was shut down, but keep in mind that your membership in an organization like ours extends much further than your campus. You were initiated into an organization that spans the globe, and were entrusted with certain secrets that create a bond between you, me, and every other Brother, regardless of the chapter we were a part of. I'm genuinely sorry your undergraduate experience was a short-lived one, but the saying goes: "Once a Beta, Always a Beta, Everywhere a Beta."

When a Chapter (or Colony) is closed, all Active (initiated) members move to Alumni status in the eyes if the General Fraternity. You can try to resign your membership by contacting the Administrative Office in Oxford, but it isn't up to them to grant you permission to pledge another fraternity.
You're officially an Alumni member of your Colony's Roll, and the other fraternity you wish to pledge will have to be the one to grant you that right.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if there's anything else I can do for you.

Yours in __kai__

Nick

Last edited by NickoJCU; 04-08-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I know what it means to be initiated, I'm not stupid. I was initiated, and they were close down a less than a semester after. I contacted the HQ and they told me about the resignation process. I just want to know if joining another fraternity would be easy for me, and I would like to know if they could deny your request.
I was tricked into joining them as when I was pledging I didn't know they were a colony since they were off campus, and no one told me they were heading for doom,that is another thing that makes me angry with them. I told some of them I was resigning and they don't really care. I don't wanna whine but I wish I had joined another fraternity.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Contact the campus Greek Adviser to see if you are eligible to rerush if Beta HQ allows you to resign your membership. It's doubtful at best if you were fully initiated as a brother and not as a pledge, so expect a "no." It doesn't matter if you were "tricked;" it was your job to do all your research before initiating to make sure this was the right fraternity for you. What's done is done, and you don't need to be rude or belligerent with us about your bad decision.

We have no idea what they will say or what the outcome will be. Stop wasting time whining and pick up the telephone to call the Greek Adviser and Beta.

Last edited by adpiucf; 04-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjaeger3000 View Post
I know what it means to be initiated, I'm not stupid. I was initiated, and they were close down a less than a semester after. I contacted the HQ and they told me about the resignation process. I just want to know if joining another fraternity would be easy for me, and I would like to know if they could deny your request.
I was tricked into joining them as when I was pledging I didn't know they were a colony since they were off campus, and no one told me they were heading for doom,that is another thing that makes me angry with them. I told some of them I was resigning and they don't really care. I don't wanna whine but I wish I had joined another fraternity.
No need to be a jerk.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know what it means to be initiated, I'm not stupid.
What she said. Additionally, you very possibly could be confused there. A lot of groups don't initiate colonists, so if your group was operating and initiating without the sanction of HQ or if maybe you're mistaken, it's worth a call to HQ.

That said, I can't speak for anyone but Sigma Nu, so I'm not sure what that's worth, but we wouldn't care that you had resigned from another group. You'd out of consideration because you were initiated elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What she said. Additionally, you very possibly could be confused there. A lot of groups don't initiate colonists, so if your group was operating and initiating without the sanction of HQ or if maybe you're mistaken, it's worth a call to HQ.
Given what Nick, who is a Beta, said above, I take it that Beta does initiate colony members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoJCU View Post
When a Chapter (or Colony) is closed, all Active (initiated) members move to Alumni status in the eyes if the General Fraternity.
But yeah, ditto on the attitude.

Quote:
I just want to know if joining another fraternity would be easy for me, and I would like to know if they could deny your request.
Not knowing you, not knowing your campus, and not being part of Beta's HQ, we have no idea whether Beta could deny your request or whether joining another fraternity would be easy for you.

You said HQ told you about the resignation process -- did you ask them whether they could deny your request, and if so, what the grounds could be?

Based on previous GC discussions on the subject, the NIC rule is that you may not join another fraternity unless Beta states in writing to the HQ of the fraternity that you want to join that you are no longer a member of Beta. But that doesn't mean a chapter will offer you a bid. Some might, some might not because they choose not to, some might not on general principle (like Kevin says of Sigma Nu above).

We just have no way of knowing.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have an attitude, I explicitly stated that I was initiated. I find it insulting that some people would think I don't know what initiation means I have done my research and some fraternities have expressed interest in me once my resignation is complete.
The brother from beta had already answered my question. I will call Beta HQ and ask if a resignation request could be denied. I just can't find any reason why they would deny someone's resignation.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't have an attitude, I explicitly stated that I was initiated. I find it insulting that some people would think I don't know what initiation means I have done my research and some fraternities have expressed interest in me once my resignation is complete.
We have experience on our side. We've found a good deal of new Greeks that don't know the difference between pledging and initiation. You are paying for the sins of those who have come before you. But you still have an attitude.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't have an attitude, I explicitly stated that I was initiated. I find it insulting that some people would think I don't know what initiation means
Then apparently you are easily insulted. As others have noted, we have seen plenty of people over the years who think they have been initiated and say they have been initiated when they have only pledged or become new members. The people on the internet forum that you came to asking for advice were merely seeking clarification or confirmation of the relevant facts so that any advice offered would have a chance of being accurate.

Taking offense when none is intended pretty much guarantees being perceived as having an attitude.

Good luck to you.