GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 773
0 members and 773 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Too Much Research?

Hey guys, before I start with my question, I'd like to introduce myself first. I'm a longtime reader but first time poster. I'll be starting college in the fall at a large state school in the South that plays in the SEC. I'll be double majoring in pre law and sports and entertainment management, with hopes of becoming a sports agent. I'll be coming into school with 15 hours, due to my dual enrollment during senior year.

My question is more in regards to NPHC fraternity members. I've researched all 5 major orgs and I made up my mind on which one I want to join. My father, grandfather, and uncle are all members, but this didn't have that much of an impact. I've done my research on this org., and this is where I ran into problems. I have found out some things that I know should be kept discreet. That's why I ask is there a such thing as too much research? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Well too much of anything is bad for you.

Just don't act like a know-it-all during recruitment.. especially if you know things that should be kept discreet.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBA View Post
I have found out some things that I know should be kept discreet. That's why I ask is there a such thing as too much research? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
It's possible that the things you know aren't really secrets at all.... but regardless, as long as you don't tell anyone that you know these things, there's not a problem.

Too much research? Unless you're sneaking peeks at rituals, I don't think there is such a thing.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It's possible that the things you know aren't really secrets at all.... but regardless, as long as you don't tell anyone that you know these things, there's not a problem.

Too much research? Unless you're sneaking peeks at rituals, I don't think there is such a thing.
I'd liken it to a potential member of AKA knowing the meaning of the 20 pearls, or something of that nature
Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Pardon the lane swerve. This isn't a tough answer really. If you know something you're not supposed to know, keep it to yourself until you have a legitimate source of that information. If it's really something that's private, the expectation will be that you don't know it. It might not matter either way, but why would you want to disclose something which could get you shot down?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pardon the lane swerve. This isn't a tough answer really. If you know something you're not supposed to know, keep it to yourself until you have a legitimate source of that information. If it's really something that's private, the expectation will be that you don't know it. It might not matter either way, but why would you want to disclose something which could get you shot down?
Exactly. Keep it to yourself and don't go blabbing to others since it might come back to you. Also, as someone else stated, some things aren't secrets at all but rather just less known information or information that most members don't care to share with non-members.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

You can never research too much!!! Joining a GLO whether it be NPHC, NALFO, NMGC, or otherwise is a lifetime commitment.

In terms of finding out info that maybe you aren't supposed to know...like everyone else said: keep it to yourself. No need to go blabbing about it. And it may not even be true so why risk makin a "booty" out of yourself by talking about things that may or may not be true.