GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,216
1 members and 1,215 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Atkins Diet

Okay GCers,

This past Monday I started the Atkins Diet and let's just say that today I almost went crazy! No fruit/fruit juice, no sugar, no bread, no potatoes, no rice, etc. I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!

Have any of you all tried Atkins? If so, how did it work for you? I've met people who have lost a lot of weight by doing this, but I think this might not be the route for me. Your thoughts?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMusiq4U Send a message via Yahoo to RedMusiq4U
My friend was on the Atkins Diet last semester and she lost ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL kinds of weight. I mean homegirl looked good her body was bangin', I thought she looked good before she lost the weight. She also exercised too so it goes hand in hand, she also said that she found sugar free food that taste just the same as if it had sugar. If you want to lose weight you have to be motivated, just give it a try and see how it turns out. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-16-2003, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My husband is on Atkins and has lost 27 lbs. in 3 mos.
I tried but it drove me nuts! I NEEDS my carbs
Old 07-16-2003, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

stick with it

I have been on the diet for 4 wks and 3 days (still in induction). I have lost 18 lbs and some inches. If you are really craving sugar try the Atkins shakes, they are good and only 2 carbs. By the way they are on sale at Wal-Mart this week. For desert have a Jolly Rancher jello cup it's 3 carbs and made with Splenda. Watch out for asparteme. The Atkins bars which you can find at some grocery storeS, GNC and Vitaminworld are good as well. Oh yeah make sure you take a supplament. I take a multivitamin now. Come tomorrow I'm gonna start One a Day Weight Watch ( I think that's what it's called) it's in a green box. Make sure you get a check up and blood work done to see if you can do the diet. Ask for blood test on you colesterol (sp?) so you can see how far you came. Don't weigh yourself everyday!!! You are not gonna lose weight everyday, sometimes it can go up and down. Read all lables and remember all carbs are not the same. Subtract your fiber from your carbs and that's the total. Spike from GNC is a good seasoning and chicken seasoning don't have sugar. Stay motivated, cause girl after the first two days you are gonna get an energy boost. After your induction you are gonna see results. If you don't see them you'll feel them. Keep me informed on ya progress. Keep ya head up!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of the support! I think I just wasn't prepared for this. You know sometimes you have to mentally prepare yourself for a diet such as this, and I wasn't mentally prepared AT ALL! However, after hearing these great results, I'm going to stick with it. I do work out, so that's not a problem. I have three weddings to look good for in the next year, and I want to lose a LOT of weight. I will keep you all posted.

Any more advice? results? sucess stories?

Last edited by delph998; 07-16-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Atkins can be a good way to lose weight but from what I have read you have to be prepared to make this a permanent lifestyle change.

Induction (extreme carb reduction) only lasts for two weeks, and after that you can have a small amount of carbs and make healthy veg/fruit choices, but it is still rough.

Just make sure you are getting enough fiber! One supplement that is used regularly by Atkins folk is Benefiber. You can get it at any drugstore, it's not gritty and you can mix it with anything (except juice).
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to snuggles12
I've been doing low carbing for 3 years now and have kept off the weight. Someone said it is a lifestyle change and they are completely correct. If you go back to eating foods in high carbs on a daily basis, you will regain the weight you lost.

Please read the Atkins book (it's probably available at the library)to get information about the diet. Alot of people don't understand the induction period and the diet.

I use my own version of Atkins. For instance, I would eat unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables and the reason is that I will not gain weight just by eating fruits and vegetables. Now my big thing was bread. I love bread and chocolate. I only eat bread and chocolate on special occasions and do not make it an everyday thing. I also exercise 5 times a week.

Also, when I slip up, I just go back to the induction phase to lose the weight I gained.

Remember to eat a variety of foods and drink plenty of water.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:24 PM

<forum_crash>

I've done the Atkins diet and lost a good amount of weight. I got my wedding dress pre-Atkins, and by the time I went for my alterations I was swimming in it

It is normal around day 3-4 of induction to start really craving the carbs. Your body keeps 2 days' worth of glucose around, and you've burned through that. Just stick to your guns, and you'll end up in ketosis and burning fat.

During induction, stay away from anything processed (this includes Atkins shakes, bars, etc). Stick to meats, eggs, cheese, and salad veggies. Save the treats for after induction.

The Atkins plan has the effect of suppressing hunger. It's important that you eat at mealtimes even if you're not hungry - even if it's just a small amount.

Also during induction, drink only water if you can; if you can't, then at least stay away from caffeine, alcohol, and anything with sugar or aspartame. After induction, you may find that you can drink caffeine and/or alcohol without affecting your weight loss, but if you stop losing - stop drinking. Whatever phase of Atkins you're in, though, try to drink at least 64oz of water per day.

EXERCISE - or your body will burn muscle along with the fat.

Good luck!

</forum_crash>
Old 07-16-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I did Atkins a while back and it was hard as helllll. I would eat about six or seven times a day because meat and vegetables never made me feel full. I also really enjoy fruit and fruit juices, so that was very hard for me.

Atkins really is a lifestyle change and it is one that I am not prepared to make right now. As soon as I ate carbs agains, the few little pounds I lost came right back. I am contemplating trying it again though. We'll see . . . .
Old 07-16-2003, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Fashionista diet

I'm also not prepared to make that drastic a lifestyle change. I've heard that the Atkins diet is something that's favored among the fashionista set, who actually sort of cheat because they still drink alcoholic beverages.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

3rd Day Update...

Again, thanks for all of the information, support, etc. regarding the Atkins Diet.

Today was the best day for me. I scrambled FOUR eggs and had two slices bacon.

Later I had some turnip/mustard greens! They were the BOMB!

Then I had some tuna.

I've dranked nothing but water! I feel better about it...after MUCH PERSUASION!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: 3rd Day Update...

Quote:
Originally posted by delph998
Again, thanks for all of the information, support, etc. regarding the Atkins Diet.

Then I had some tuna.

Is this all you ate? You might think about supplementing your diet with protein shakes. Not eating enough calories can stall weight loss.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: 3rd Day Update...

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
Is this all you ate? You might think about supplementing your diet with protein shakes. Not eating enough calories can stall weight loss.

Okay, I'm not eating enough? At times, I feel like I have a bottomless stomach, but after eating those greens and tuna, I was totally full! What should I do? Help a sista out!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to snuggles12
Re: 3rd Day Update...

You should try adding a salad with chicken. Also, I use spinach leaves instead of lettuce. Lettuce has little nutritional value. Spinach is full of vitamins.

Also, make sure that you are eating enough calories. Eating too few calories will make your body assume that it is starving itself and will conserve fat.

Quote:

Then I had some tuna.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: 3rd Day Update...

Quote:
Okay, I'm not eating enough? At times, I feel like I have a bottomless stomach, but after eating those greens and tuna, I was totally full! What should I do? Help a sista out!
The first and best thing you can do is keep a food diary. Keep track of what you eat on a daily basis for a few days (and I mean EVERYTHING- not an approximation, but a precise record of everything you put in your mouth and what time you put it there). AT the end of the day try to tally your calories.

There are a number of web sites that list your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) which is the number of calories your body needs at minimum to perform basic functions (breathing, temperature control). Go to one and have it calculated. Set your minimum number of cals per day a bit above that number and make sure you stick to it (many dieters find that number higher than what they were initially eating, but if you are exercising it's really important to eat enough).