GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 1,020
2 members and 1,018 guests
John

Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Kudos to David Banner

I meant to post this the other day but forgot. . . .

Following the trend of Fifty Cent and the G Unit's idea of giving back to the customer, David Banner has raised the bar. In his second album, 6 lucky buyers will receive "golden tickets" in their CD cases. These tickets won't be cashed in for free merchandise, a platinum medallion or even concert tickets. David wants to encourage something else. He will be offering $10,000 scholarships for the recipient or to whoever that person wants to pass it on to. David, who earned a BSE in Education from Southern University and is only a thesis away from completing his Masters Degree says that he wants to encourage us to do better. He also stated that he knows that not everyone will need the money for an undergraduate degree so the Scholarship may be used for technical/trade school or for an advanced degree. As long as the money is used to better that person's life through education, David will be happy. I want to say that this is what we need, more people who are willing to step out of the stereotypical roles and do something positive.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Now, that is a QUALITY idea! It's about time. Kudos!
Old 12-07-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so impressed. Not really familiar with him...but fanastic!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonAngel2001 Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonAngel2001
I give him plenty of props, one he's giving away educations which is something that is definitely needed and secondly he has a bachelors and is almost done with a masters... this is a great example that people can be in the industry and be intelligent scholars as well that are about something
Old 12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.david-banner.com/
Old 12-07-2003, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
He was also the SGA president of Southern when I was there! I told my students that the other day that he went to school with me and had a degree and they were like what? You mean you can be educated and still rap?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Kudos to David Banner

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I meant to post this the other day but forgot. . . .

Following the trend of Fifty Cent and the G Unit's idea of giving back to the customer, David Banner has raised the bar. In his second album, 6 lucky buyers will receive "golden tickets" in their CD cases. These tickets won't be cashed in for free merchandise, a platinum medallion or even concert tickets. David wants to encourage something else. He will be offering $10,000 scholarships for the recipient or to whoever that person wants to pass it on to. David, who earned a BSE in Education from Southern University and is only a thesis away from completing his Masters Degree says that he wants to encourage us to do better. He also stated that he knows that not everyone will need the money for an undergraduate degree so the Scholarship may be used for technical/trade school or for an advanced degree. As long as the money is used to better that person's life through education, David will be happy. I want to say that this is what we need, more people who are willing to step out of the stereotypical roles and do something positive.

that is very philanthropic of him!!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
Expect nothing less from a Jag!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wonderful1908
He was also the SGA president of Southern when I was there! I told my students that the other day that he went to school with me and had a degree and they were like what? You mean you can be educated and still rap?
I'm so proud of him.

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 12-07-2003, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Now if he was doing something like hmm....finding the best "applebottom" this would have been all over television.

Anyway, I am proud to hear something like that. I applaud him!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

That's alright!! I might support his CD just because of that! (I have to admit that I'm not too into him, but "Like a Pimp" w/ Lil' Flip was my JAM!! )
Old 12-08-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by 1savvydiva
Now if he was doing something like hmm....finding the best "applebottom" this would have been all over television.

Anyway, I am proud to hear something like that. I applaud him!!!
Sad, but soo true. This is the type of information that should be blasted all over the media.

I'm happy to read about something like this. I will definitely support this educated rapper.

I hope he finishes his Masters thesis. Then he can be David Banner, MSEd.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

That is Mr. Banner, MEd. LOL

That's great!

Chile puhleeze, Edumacation is NOT a prioretee in dis countree! Therefore, you will continue to see applebottom, top, side and front.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
When I first saw the thread and it stated David Banner, I was like the rapper. I was going to skip it and not read it...but I am so glad that I did.

Big ups as I like to say to David Banner....these other knuckle heads need to take note of what he is doing, and trying to give back.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 12-08-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
That is so WONDERFUL!
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 12-08-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Big up[s to David Banner. I guess that goes to show that you can't judege a book by its cover (b/c I never would've guessed he was working on a Masters--I could've seen him having a B.A. or B.S., etc., but not obtaining a Masters), esp. w/ a song called "Like a Pimp" I really like the fact that he's not givng away some bling-bling, or cash, which we all know many Black folx would be inclined to on frivilous things...

You all are right--this is the type of stuff that should be showcased, but never is...Proof is Wonderful's students asking her "Can you be educated and rap?"...Sad...