GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,479
2 members and 1,477 guests
abradatxaxd3465, LaneSig

Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone out there know about background checks?

Ok I interviewed for a company that I really want to be a part of.

They had me fill out a lot of information, normal stuff, but told me they do a extensive background check and drug test. I am totally fine with both, but wonder what are they looking for in the background check? To see if you are a convicted felon? They told me it could take up to 2 weeks to do these checks then decide who passed them.

Anyone had one of these done before? Anyone know what all they look for in one of these?

Most places Ive applied to before say they background check, but let you know in a day if you passed or not, or they dont even do the check. My last job when I hired people we said it, but never did it.

Any info on this, Id appreciate it. I hate to wait 2 weeks for some extensive check and really dont know what they are looking for.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the job. Mostly it's done to check for felonies or other offenses that could prevent you from working in the environment. For example, in Ohio, teacher's backgrounds are checked for offenses involving minors.

Sometimes if a job requires driving, they check your driving record for an excessive amount of tickets or accidents.

I've also heard of "integrity checks". My stepdad works in corrrections and has used them in the hiring process. It involves checking a person's credit for debt/ late payments/past bankruptcy. The theory behind this is if someone is in excessive debt, they are predisposed to becoming corrupt or taking bribes, which compromises safety when you're dealing with a prison. It's a little odd.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Having to wait two weeks for a background check is nothing, I know people who's background check took up to a year to go through. Mainly they check your criminal history, driving history, and credit report. I had to be interviewed by an FBI Investigator as well. Don't worry about it, it's not that bad.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Be careful about those, and don't agree to let too many companies do these at once (it could negatively affect your credit score)
but I think it sounds worth it.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
Be careful about those, and don't agree to let too many companies do these at once (it could negatively affect your credit score)
Employment checks do not adversely impact your credit score.

Criminal background checks can take a bit longer (although 2 weeks is a long time), especially if it is a multi-state check.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
When you request a copy of your own credit report or if a copy is requested for an investigation, it does not affect your credit score at all.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
Employment checks do not adversely impact your credit score.

Criminal background checks can take a bit longer (although 2 weeks is a long time), especially if it is a multi-state check.
Some can. It happened where I used to work. Granted, that org. did not really what it was doing, but it was a nightmare for the person who had to go trhough it. I agree that they shouldn't, but because of my experience, I can't say they never do.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
When you request a copy of your own credit report or if a copy is requested for an investigation, it does not affect your credit score at all.
Right....unless the person doing the check doesn't know what he/she is doing and some one else's car gets repoed b/c of it.

it made the whole store all and wtf
Old 05-01-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The most "insulting" thing that ever happened to me was the job where I had to go to Police Headquarters and pay for a criminal background check myself in order to be considered for a job.

I've always passed -- so you shouldn't have a problem...
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know how to get a background check done in Texas? I'm working at a summer camp up north this year, and they've pretty much left it up to me to get the forms they need. I've got to get them for every state I've lived in; I figured out how to do one in Louisiana, but for Texas I've contacted like 20 people, called the police dept. (which is where I was referred to), who couldn't tell me anything; I even asked a few of the cops I worked with, just in case the person at the P.D. was clueless, and they couldn't tell me. Then I checked the DPS's website, and the only thing I saw that would work was a name based background check for someone else, so i guess that's the form I'm sending them, lol.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated though!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

There are several types of background checks.. but most employers use a combination. They will be doing a criminal background check, verifying your social security number and most likely a credit check. Depending on the job, they may go deeper.

Here is a website that goes into depth:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 08:56 PM

In addition to criminal background checks and credit checks, some companies will also verify your education and employment history.

As long as you didn't blatantly lie on your application (e.g. say you had a 3.9 GPA when you really had a 2.4, or say you worked for a company for 2 years when you were really only there for 2 months) you will be ok.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

This is the website to get a FBI/NCIC background check on yourself. 2 inked fingerprint cards and a certified check for $18 is required.

Pinkiebell, I am sending you a pm

I work for the State law enforcement that has the actual criminal history reports. Everyday, we get phone calls about someone having a background check on them that has erroneous informaition.

On the news, I have heard that some companies are getting sued because they are giving out out-dated information.

Here's a bit of information. Some states, like Ga, have "first offender" type programs that, if sucessfully completed will seal the info only on the state and FBI/III files. HOWEVER, keep in mind that it may still be considered public record down at the court house and thereby can be given to 3rd party companies like Choicepont, Maximus, CriminalHistoriesRUS (just kidding).

In Georgia, the local p.d.'s and sheriff's departments most likely have the authority do to applicant criminal history searches but they are almost always namesearches only.

Fingrprint searches are the way to go but like the FBI, we have a huge applicant fpcard backlog. Some local agencies can submit prints electronically.

Here's my suggestion to whose of you who have been arrested. I know that each state is different but in GA. you can't have a STATE criminal history unless you've been fingerprinted and the prints sent to the GBI. (Minor traffic offenses don't count.).

So...get a copy of your criminal history. If there is not a "final dispositon" (what happened to your case, were you quilty/nolo contendre, dismissed/nolle prossed, conditional discharge, etc.). Your employment could be delayed if the criminal history does not have the final disposition. If the court is automated, they might be able to update the info quickly...or attach a copy to the criminal history or be prepared to give it to the company.

Just because it is "sealed" doesn't automatically mean that NO ONE can see it. It depends on the actual state law and the type of record (adult, juvenile, criminal, civil, etc.).

Last edited by AGDLynn; 05-01-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

replied, AGD!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I've only been in Ohio all of my teenage years and till now so there is no multi-state search they will need to do. As far as criminal, Ive never even got a parking ticket or speeding ticket. I have 0 for a criminal record. My resume was accurate. My only thing they could see was back when I first started college I ran a CC up really high and never paid it, I paid the price with a low credit score, and paid it off. Stupid freshman year being away from home..... Anyways thats about it.

The owner of the insurance co told me their corporate office runs these, so maybe thats why it takes so long. Tough when we needed a check done on people, we called State Fram Insurance to run our checks lol... You'd think they could run them fast enough....

She told me yesterday hopefully she will have my results by friday, but she had to submit my paperwork and they had to do it, I guess its also about how slow people are at processing things. I just hate waiting....... They say fri at the earliest and next fri by the latest they hope....