GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,297
1 members and 1,296 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Psi Upsilon Closes Cornell Chapter

Psi Upsilon has closed its chapter at Cornell. It appears from the article on the campus paper's site (July 6, 2008) that the chapter [B]may[//B] recolonize, (or re-activate, or whatever the correct terminology may be in this particular case) fairly soon.

Psi Upsilon continues to be recognized by the university, according to the report.

http://cornellsun.com/section/news/c...lon-fraternity

Brief excerpt from longer article:

In an attempt to protect the prosperity of the fraternity and the safety of its members, the alumni board of Psi Upsilon decided to shut down the fraternity until the board deems it fit. Though the members of the campus fraternity have been deactivated, the chapter maintains its official recognition in the eyes of the University.

“While Cornell University still recognizes Psi Upsilon as an active fraternity on campus, the alumni have de-activated all of its members,” said Travis Apgar, associate dean of students for fraternity and sorority affairs, in light of the recent events.

Mike Bergelson ’95, alumni president of the chapter, explained the alumni’s decision to temporarily suspend the fraternity.

“The principles of the fraternity are to foster intellectual and social environment,” Bergelson said. “While we don’t want to be too prescriptive, the alumni saw that a far too great emphasis was being placed on the social aspects and not the fraternity values of brotherhood, responsibility and democracy.” . . .
Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW, this is amazing! The School still recognizes them but the GLO doesn't?

When does this happen in a Normal state of mind?

Trying to figure this one out?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. This is really something. It sounds like the Alumni did the right thing though. But I do find it weird that the school recognizes them while the alumni don't. I don't know, maybe the school doesn't accept the alumni corporation's authority in this manner.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

As I understand it - the University did not pull recognition. However, whatever the chapter is now, it is no longer Psi Upsilon because nationals has pulled the charter.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting that the alums have the power to make membership decisions for the active chapter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2008, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I read in the article it sounded like it wasn't a decision made by national. In Psi Upsilon the Alumni Corporation has almost as much power as the undergraduate chapter. It sounds like they suspended the membership of all undergrads, which is within their power.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the information - that is interesting. If a membership is suspended, does that mean they are, for lack of a better word, kicked out, or is there an appeal process?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alumni Corporation has pretty wide sweeping judicial powers. Suspension is just what it sounds like. You can be returned to the brother hood. Though it does look like the Alumni are willing to completely expel members if they don't straighten out.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
The Alumni Corporation has pretty wide sweeping judicial powers. Suspension is just what it sounds like. You can be returned to the brother hood. Though it does look like the Alumni are willing to completely expel members if they don't straighten out.
So, your HQ has no control at all?

Maybe I am missing the point if You are a National or a Local?

In checking, you seem to be a Local or a small GLO/Local!

Consider yourself to be damn lucky. Get the Chapter ship shape or be gone is the only thing I can think of!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Maybe I am missing the point if You are a National or a Local?

In checking, you seem to be a Local or a small GLO/Local!
Psi Upsilon is the fifth oldest fraternity in the country, founded at Union College in 1833 (but not one of the Union Triad). It was the first fraternity to have a national convention (1841) and to publish a fraternity magazine (1850).

Maybe they do things a little differently from many other GLOs, but apparently whatever they've been doing for the last 175 years is working for them.

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-08-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Psi Upsilon is the fifth oldest fraternity in the country, founded at Union College in 1833 (but not one of the Union Triad). It was the first fraternity to have a national convention (1841) and to publish a fraternity magazine (1850).

Maybe they do things a little differently from many other GLOs, but apparently whatever they've been doing for the last 175 years is working for them.

Excellent response, MysticCat!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I would also like to mention that we were the first to have a alumni directory, first to print a fraternity song book and first to print a fraternity history. But to answer your question Tom, national does have the ability to yank the charter, though they only do that if things are realllly bad or the majority of the brotherhood asks for it. I personally am not from the Cornell chapter nor have I met anybody from Cornell. One thing I love about Psi U is the fact that we are national and have the support structure that suggest, yet we have alot of autonomy for individual chapters.

Oh and Thank you for saving me some effort Mystic Cat.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 07-08-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thank you and I stand corrected and should have checked further like I normally do when it comes to GLOs.

It still is a strange situation for me to understand their problen as Cornell is not the easiest to stay on campus and the HQ denounces them?

I am sure not every GLO works the same.

It just seems a back ward way of doing it as it is usually the other way around. School dictates and the IHQ gets involved.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah but it looked like the alumni recognized the problem before the university did.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

If the alumni own the chapter house they have a lot of control. They also have a lot of liability that can roll up to them. My strong assumption is that the alumni knew what was really happening behind closed doors in the house they own and manage. They made the decision to reduce their risk and start over with a fresh group of men who are more likely to be a fraternity and not a "frat".

We did the same thing at our chapter and it was a great decision. Our national fraternity and the University were scratching their heads wondering why Sigma Nu was on campus at the end of spring 1997 and did not return in the fall 1997.

We alumni (who were paying the bills, signed the lease with the landlord etc.) knew things were going to hell. Quality members were leaving - knuckleheads were staying. You can't recruit quality when you don't have quality. It would have been nearly impossible to turn the culture of that organization. We started fresh several years later and now have a quality organization.

Good luck to Psi U in restoring their organization to their core values.