GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 869
1 members and 868 guests
indygphib

Old 12-25-2000, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Help Identifying Coat of Arms

I have recentely been given my grandfathers Fraternity ring (he passed away last spring), and I am trying to identify the Fraternity he belonged to. The text at the bottom of the coat of arms is not legible, but the coat itself has a plumed helm over a shield bearing a sort of lamp in the upper right hand corner, a stripe from the upper left to lower right with 3 stars and a crescent moon in it, and a tree in the lower left corner.

If you know the Fraternity this coat of arms belongs to I would greatly appreciate you e-mailing me at nick@aesention.com.
Old 01-15-2001, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like Lambda Chi Alpha's sheild. Take a look at a lambda chi crest, but im pretty sure thats what it is.
Old 01-15-2001, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Nope, we don't have a tree on our crest. Here is a link to a pic of our crest though. Go to http://www.greenpride.com and click on mission. That's about the best example on our site. We do have a lamp, 3 stars and a crescent on our crest, but it doesn't sound like in the same places Good luck.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Correct, not LXA's crest...it sounds like it might be a fraternity that may no longer exist, or may have merged with another at some point. Can't remember any that have trees on them...except IOOF (International Order of Foresters (similar to Moose and Elks)), and that's not a college fraternity.

Are there any markings on the inside of the ring, i.e. manufacturer, etc? Do you know what college your grandfather attended at during what years? You might try getting a copy of a yearbook from that time. Do you know if he had a fraternity pin with his belongings? If it went to another family member, can you get a description of it?
Old 01-24-2001, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi kirn_malinus,
I don't know if your grandfather was american-born, but if he was not and of European origin then you might want to look at student organizations in the respective country. "www.studiant.com" has a great variety of fraternity listings in Europe including, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Poland and the baltic republics that also have a rich fraternity life (there, however, each chapter has it's own coat of arms). Maybe that's where this ring/coat of arms originates.
Good luck, matthewg
http://www.kdstv-bodensee.de
Old 02-01-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by kirn_malinus:
I have recentely been given my grandfathers Fraternity ring (he passed away last spring), and I am trying to identify the Fraternity he belonged to. The text at the bottom of the coat of arms is not legible, but the coat itself has a plumed helm over a shield bearing a sort of lamp in the upper right hand corner, a stripe from the upper left to lower right with 3 stars and a crescent moon in it, and a tree in the lower left corner.

If you know the Fraternity this coat of arms belongs to I would greatly appreciate you e-mailing me at nick@aesention.com.
It sounds like alpha gamma rho to me
go to http://www.agrs.org for more info
or http://www.uark.edu/studorg/alphagam/agr/
to check out a crest I couldn't figure out how to put the crest here for you to see I will try to email you and include the crest.