GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,709
2 members and 1,707 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 12-19-2000, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell

I was just wondering what you all thought about Bush's apparent reaching out to minorities and the message he's trying to send by appointing Rice and Powell to (very) key positions. Do you guys buy it? And what do you think about Rice and Powell, and the accusation that I'm sure will come sooner or later (sell outs, or not?)
Old 12-19-2000, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

The question is will he limit the selection of "minorities" to Powell, Rice, and the Latino gentleman (I can't remember his name) from Texas? Will he think by announcing these nominees first, that is suppose to satisfy his promise of an "inclusive" administration?
Old 12-19-2000, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The question is will he limit the selection of "minorities" to Powell, Rice, and the Latino gentleman (I can't remember his name) from Texas? Will he think by announcing these nominees first, that is suppose to satisfy his promise of an "inclusive" administration?
I think this is a VERY good point. He could very easily be thinking "Okay, here you go, I picked three (which he may believe to be more than enough) now let me get on with what I need to do..."

------------------
The truly educated never graduate!

[This message has been edited by meeks (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old 12-19-2000, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meeks:
He could very easily be thinking "Okay, here you go, I picked three (which he may believe to be more than enough) now let me get on with what I need to do..."
EXACTLY!!!! He appointed a "few" and he appointed them first to make a show about it. But what ELSE is he going to do for "us". Programs, bills etc...

Old 12-19-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Sorry to burst your bubbles but he is not doing anything for 'US', by appointing these few ... these three Black Republicans have been with he and his father over the years!! Colin Powell held an office with his father and the Latino gentlemen worked with Debuya in Texas under a title similar to his current appointment. These token Blacks/Latinos are not new faces, and these 3 will do nothing for you ...they are already part of the republican administration don't let the color of their faces fool you into thinking 'oh my this is a good thing, what is next'. NEXT IS THE LET DOWN.
Being blunt - NOT RUDE!!
Old 12-19-2000, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
he is not doing anything for 'US'
You got that right!
Old 12-19-2000, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Colin Powell IS actually very concerned about the African-American population. He strongly encourages Republicans repeatedly to support Affirmative Action and Anti-Hate Legislation. During the Republican Convention in 1996-he was "booed and hissed" because he stated that minorities were not represented fairly in the U.S., the American Dream is farther from our grasp, and he stated that the goverment should not get rid of Affirmative Action. I believe that he commented on it at the Convention at Philly, but everyone just got a little quiet.

However, we all know that he cannot change the mind set of the Republican party-and that is the bottom line.

As for Ms. Rice, I am not sure. She is fuzzy math. But one thing I do know is that she needs to make herself more aware of what is going on in the Middle East and Asia, not just Russia.

The funny thing about this situation- Colin and Rice, is that people think that the African-American population should just be happy and forget about the injustices done in Florida. Be that good house negroe...don't cause trouble for the master...
Old 12-20-2000, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I can agree with Ania about CP up to a point. But if he's so concerned about African-Americans, why is he so tight with the party that has HISTORICALLY been against giving us our due? I'm not trying to toot the Democrats horn, but in a country with only two viable parties, and only one that's shown any willingness to meet your people halfway, why would you choose the other one? CP is an accomplished person and seems very dignified, so I can respect that, but his choices confuse me. As for CR, the jury's still out on her. BTW, did anyone read the love note (sorry, article) the NY Times just published about her?

------------------
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.--Aristotle
Old 12-20-2000, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

All I have to say in regards to ALL these folks is that...

...THE BLIND LEADING....

INSTEAD OF THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND...

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old 12-20-2000, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Epitome,
I have no disagreement about the fact that he is with a party that historically suppress African-American's interest. For some odd reason, Colin believes that he can make a difference in that party. Why someone who is an African-American would join the Republican Party is beyond me. Besides, everyone knows that you are a WINDOW DISPLAY! But like I stated before, he cannot and will not change the mind set of that party.

Now what love letter is this in the N.Y. Times? I know that she is single and has no children.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Soror AKA2D has provided my morning dose of laughter!
Old 12-20-2000, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Ania,

On Monday (I think), the NY Times published an article about CR. For the most part, it was glowing (in other words, a love letter). On the other hand, as a Salon (www.salon.com) article pointed out, it was superficial in a way that an article about a man wouldn't be, talking about her hair, clothes, "girlish laugh," etc. Don't want to sound like I'm griping, though because I'd rather see them present her in a good light since she hasn't even started this job yet.

------------------
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.--Aristotle
Old 12-20-2000, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Epitome,
Your last statement was very true. I'm actually wondering how they(senators, congressmen, critics, media, etc.) are going to treat both of these people because this is the first time that African-Americans have held such high titles.
Old 12-20-2000, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

CP and the other two must feel very comfortable with the republican agenda to be with the party soooooo long. obviously they feel it is the best party for them. i've worked with republicans in the political arena and and though i have some conservatives tendencies it became very clear that the only thing they will do for blacks is NOTHING i'm sorry but they don't like us just keeke
Old 12-20-2000, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not for Republicans or Democrats but everyone is saying what have Republicans done for us. Well what the heck have democrats done for us. Democrats have all these wonderful slogans and promises and then they don't come through. I'll give everyone one example Somalia. It was President Bush who sent in troops to feed the people of Somalia during the famine there, and it was President Clinton who took the troops out. Somalia is still in shambles.