GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,584
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,526
3 members and 1,523 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 05-29-2001, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Post New Member NPC Education

Now, we all know that no school has every NPC sorority, but I knew the names and basic info about the other 25 NPC sororities. Today, I had an NPC sorority member ask me, "Sigma Sigma Sigma, what is that, a local?" WHAT??? So basically, my question is: Does your sorority give its new members any information about the other NPC sororities?
Old 05-29-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta gives our New Members all the names, founding date....of all NPC sororities. It is really interesting to see everyones info and badge all together.

I think there are always going to be members who are unaware of organizations that are not on their campus.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Cool

My New Member Education briefly touched on NPC orgs. I was the only one who knew it existed before then, but our school only has 4 NPCs, one just recently coming on campus after being a local. I knew most of the different names bc of being curious about GLOs when my boyfriend went away to a large school that had a lot of them so I frequented greekpages.com when I was a junior in hs. That's me always the self-educated one! I guess it all depends on what each chapter does, but I'm sure it would help greekrelations if it was highlighted.

Old 05-30-2001, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter really doesn't give info on other sororities. But 4 of the 9 NPC sororities here were founded here, and everyone knows that, so there's really no confusion on that. Also, all new members are required to attend at least one Panhellenic Council meeting, unless the meetings conflict with their schedules of course.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We don't have this in our new member program either. Of course, I knew Tri Sig because they were at my school. Had you asked me about Kappa or Theta or Pi Phi, I'd have thought you were a loon I think it's a good idea to add this to new member programs, as it gives people the impression of just how many national sororities there are, instead of just the ones on your campus.

And sig, I've had the same response when I said my sorority name once...don't worry girl
Old 05-30-2001, 01:41 PM

Wink

The membership manual I received from nationals had names, founding dates and schools, colors, flowers, magazine and a reproduction of the badge of all 26 NPC sororities. It is extremely useful let me tell you!!

IMO every national should include this in their pledge manual. We were never tested on it or anything, other than knowing that there are 26 member groups, but I think it is imperative that pledges be given the chance to somewhat familiarize themselves with all the groups. We also had a listing of all the NIC fraternities.

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited May 30, 2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Each of our new members receives "The Bonds of Sisterhood" which is used as a tool for new member education. In the New Member "Bonds" there is a spread that includes information about each of the other 25 NPC groups (founding date, colors, picture of badge, etc).

My New Member Educator came up with some creative games to help us get to know some of the other groups but we mainly focused on the other chapters that were at our school.

I was exposed to all of that information when I pledged but, like ZTAMich, I came from a smaller greek system and wasn't formally introduced to most of the other groups until after I graduated and started volunteering as an advisor at a larger university.

And hey, I still go to Panhellenic meetings at the school where I'm an advisor and they pronounce our name incorrectly (how frustrating)... I spent an entire semester with the secretary pronouncing Xi with a long "I"..... ughhhhhh.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
The membership manual I received from nationals had names, founding dates and schools, colors, flowers, magazine and a reproduction of the badge of all 26 NPC sororities. It is extremely useful let me tell you!!

IMO every national should include this in their pledge manual. We were never tested on it or anything, other than knowing that there are 26 member groups, but I think it is imperative that pledges be given the chance to somewhat familiarize themselves with all the groups. We also had a listing of all the NIC fraternities.

We have a list of all the NPC sororities in our manual as well, with their founding dates, places of founding, and a picture of their badges. We don't have a list of fraternities though. And we never had to learn the list of sororities either.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved the section in The Bonds about the other NPC sororities and actually wished there was more than just the standard list of founding date, site, colors, and a pic of the badge.

On another note, I totally understand the Xi thing. It gets even older when people ask if your an Alpha Zeta Delta.

------------------
Through bitter and sweet, through gain and defeat, cherish the thought that there grows. And the thought in the heart of the rose will gladden your lives hour by hour and dear love's beauty will glorify duty with the blooms of our bright Alpha rose.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I know that our pledge manual includes information about all the NPC sororities (name, founding date/school, pictures of badges).