GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,434
1 members and 1,433 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM
PoohsHoneyBee

plane tickets!

ok, an emergency three day weekend trip came up and i need to fly out there! problem is, everywhere i look is about $250 and i'm only going to houston.... (there is no way i can drive even though it is only about five hours)

does anyone have any suggestions... or promotion codes (hint, hint) i just thought i'd ask, i'm very desperate at this point.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Unregistered-

Re: plane tickets!

Quote:
Originally posted by PoohsHoneyBee
ok, an emergency three day weekend trip came up and i need to fly out there! problem is, everywhere i look is about $250 and i'm only going to houston.... (there is no way i can drive even though it is only about five hours)

does anyone have any suggestions... or promotion codes (hint, hint) i just thought i'd ask, i'm very desperate at this point.
Is it a medical or bereavement emergency? If so, many major carriers offer a compassionate fare. These special fares usually give you the option of making changes without penalty should you need to.

I know that Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, and Orbitz all have last minute weekend deals, but it would all depend on the market, when you're traveling, and their inventory.

Also, keep in mind that SOME promotion codes floating around out there may already be issued to other customers, and like tickets, they may not be transferable. I know that's how it was when I worked for United.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Re: Re: plane tickets!

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Is it a medical or bereavement emergency? If so, many major carriers offer a compassionate fare. These special fares usually give you the option of making changes without penalty should you need to.

I know that Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, and Orbitz all have last minute weekend deals, but it would all depend on the market, when you're traveling, and their inventory.

Also, keep in mind that SOME promotion codes floating around out there may already be issued to other customers, and like tickets, they may not be transferable. I know that's how it was when I worked for United.
My friend had to change her flights to a few days earlier because her mom became very sick. Her mom ended up passing away and she had to change her flight back to S.C. to the day after the originally date and she ended up paying some couple hundreds to change the ticket. I told her that if you have a death certificate or something they'll make it cheaper and apparently they told her that they only save a certain amount of seats for things like that and they were all taken. I thought that was ridiculous!

Bravo to those companies who have compassionate deals and don't wallet rape those who have just gone through a really bad situation.

KLTC
Old 10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Re: Re: plane tickets!

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
My friend had to change her flights to a few days earlier because her mom became very sick. Her mom ended up passing away and she had to change her flight back to S.C. to the day after the originally date and she ended up paying some couple hundreds to change the ticket. I told her that if you have a death certificate or something they'll make it cheaper and apparently they told her that they only save a certain amount of seats for things like that and they were all taken. I thought that was ridiculous!

Bravo to those companies who have compassionate deals and don't wallet rape those who have just gone through a really bad situation.
At United, there are two types of economy -- full fare and discounted. Obviously the full fare tickets, you can do whatever change you want because you paid so much. The discounted seats have a $100 service fee plus any fare difference (which is usually a lot). There are different types of booking codes for discounted seats, but as long as there is a seat left in Q class, they'll give it to you on a compassionate fare. So really it's not a matter of "saving seats", it's just a matter of inventory.

But emergency fares are great considering it saves people from paying last-minute prices!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Any Local Carriers or SWest? Try their Web Site.

Tx, is to big to drive at times!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you get a death certificate on the black market for such a purpose? Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about this?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Can you get a death certificate on the black market for such a purpose? Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about this?
It was George!

When someone calls the reservations center, all they need to do is provide the following info:

Deceased's name
Relationship to Deceased
Name of Funeral Home
Funeral Home Director's Name
Their phone number

in order to purchase it at the emergency fare and get it ticketed.

I'm wondering how they would need to show proof of death, though. Death certificates take a long time to get processed in some places, and I'm sure it wouldn't be ready before time of travel, especially if it's last minute.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Couldn't you totally have someone pose as a funeral director? I wonder how hard core they are about verifying that stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Couldn't you totally have someone pose as a funeral director? I wonder how hard core they are about verifying that stuff.
Or I'm sure you could get a name out of the yellow pages.

Same with medical emergencies -- all you have to do is provide the airline with the name, relationship, hospital, and doctor's name. That info is easy to fake!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Or I'm sure you could get a name out of the yellow pages.

Same with medical emergencies -- all you have to do is provide the airline with the name, relationship, hospital, and doctor's name. That info is easy to fake!
So the airlines dont follow up or check?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
I never really knew what happened after they call in and make their reservations.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 AM
PoohsHoneyBee

thanks guys, i'm going to try and risk it and do the emergency thing... it's not a death in the family, but an old friend of mine's birthday. her fiance is asking all her high school friends to secretly come in and do one of those "remember when" parties...he found everyone on myspace... i really want to go, because it will be a mini reunion!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How many people do you know who own a twenty-year old black suit?

Actually, when my mom died, the funeral director gave us about twenty form letters on their stationary to use for just such situations, and to handle Social Security, banks, credit, etc.

Fortunately, in that case all five of us flew using frequent flyer miles I had accrued. (United wouldn't buy into letting us fly for 12,500 miles each though.)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
With USAirways, you pay the full flight rate, then when you produce a certified death certificate or hospitalization form, you get your money back.

Try www.travelzoo.com - they've had INCREDIBLE sales lately!! Yesterday, they had a 3 day in London, WITH transportation & hotel, for $299 + tax!!!!

Last edited by honeychile; 10-07-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PoohsHoneyBee
thanks guys, i'm going to try and risk it and do the emergency thing...
Oy, watch out for karma...

My friend told her job she had to take some days off for a small "female" medical procedure. She really just came to NY for a wedding. Sure enough, she got home and had a letter form her gyno that her pap was abnormal and had to come in for a real procedure! Luckily she is fine, but...