GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,223
4 members and 1,219 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, John

Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

08-09 Recruitment Story!1

Im not new to GreekChat, but I made a new account because my old one gave away my school and location and all that!

If you know my school, PLEASE dont give it away!

Take note that I am a 1st Generation college student/and 1st generation greek!

since my love for jelly beans is great I decided to use them for my code.

Jelly Bean flavors in no particular order:

BubbleGum
Grape
Pink Lemonade
Orange
Sour Apple
Watermelon
Rasberry

Last edited by SouthernBelle08; 08-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear about your journey!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are concerned about revealing too much information then please edit your post and delete the actual sorority names and the date of your rush. I was able to figure out in less than 3 minutes where you went to school. If it doesn't bother you then leave it, but discretion is the key. You never know if you may say something that can be misconstrued....
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Day One

Sidenote: Thanks WarEagle07! I edited it

Day One. Parties Lasted for 45 minutes and conversations covered the basics (major, activities..)

I got up and had NO CLUE what to expect.
We actually had a girl faint before the first party out of nervousness.

Watermelon was my first party. This house had a good reputation of sweet girls that loved each other and their sorority. I spoke with three girls at this house and conversation flowed easily. I did have a rec for this house. Overall I enjoyed this party.

BubbleGum came next. This house was known as the cookie cutter rich girls. I didn't want to judge this house before I got to know any of them so I went in hoping for a great conversation. I had two recs for this house. I spoke with three girls and the conversation was almost TOO sweet. Topics ranged from shopping to designer purses to parties. This house was still in my top though because its girls had pretty good GPAs and a strong bond.

Rasberry was up next. This house was known for its girls being artsy/hippy/or free-spirited if you will. I had one rec for this house and a friend in the sorority. I talked to two girls here and conversation focused on me mostly. I did notice how much the girls loved each other, but I still wasnt sure about the house.

Orange was my next party. This house has a reputation of having ALOT of girls from the same geographical area, and though the girls didnt look alike, hair styles and makeup looked the same. I had a one rec for this house. Conversation was somewhat easy but I only met with one girl so it was hard to get a picture of the chapter as a whole.

Grape came next. This was the only house I had no recs for. I had a few friends in this chapter that I liked, so I went in hoping to meet new girls that I also clicked with. Conversation forcused on both me and how much the sister love each other. This house went on my good list.

Sour Apple was up next. This house had a reputation of being smaller but dedicated. I spoke with only one girl again for the whole party, and my conversation was somewhat forced. These girls seemed somewhat nervous and akward, but I could tell that they had a deep bond with one another.

Pink Lemonade came last. I had two recs for this house and a few friends here as well. This was my last party so I was a little tired. I spoke with three girls here and conversation went easy. Topics included me, the school itself, the Greek Life as a whole, and the bond between sisters. This house was upbeat and fun. It also went on my good list.

That night we chose our top 5 in random order, then our bottom two in ranking order.

Here is how it was broken down:
Top 5-Watermelon, Bubblegum, Pink Lemonade, Orange, and Grape
Bottom Two- Rasberry then Sour Apple

I went to bed that night with most of my nervousness gone and then excitment for Philanthropy Day which came next!!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
I'm excited to hear your story!!! love the jelly bean code names

Old 08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

yay! recruitment 08-09 story! can't wait to hear the rest!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Darn, I liked your description of Raspberry
Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!

I can't wait for the 08-09 stories! Best of luck- way to keep a positive attitude!

-Legally Blonde = Best movie ever
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck southernbelle from someone who is going to be in your shoes very soon! i hope everything goes the way you want!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Day Two

So after a somewhat good night's rest it was time for Philanthropy Day!!

This was one of my favorite days because I love community service and volunteering!

We got our schedules that morning and headed off to our first party.

I got invited to 5 parties.
Sororities that invited me and my reaction:
Watermelon-Yay!
Pink Lemonade-Yay!
Orange-...Okay
Rasberry-...Okay
Sour Apple-..Ugh..

Sororities that cut me and my reaction:
BubbleGum- Somewhat Sad
Grape-Shocked/confused/dumbfounded!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Day Two Breakdown

So my first party was..

Pink Lemonade
This party went good. Their philanthropy hit home with me because of its goals. We watched a short film about their philanthropy that made some actives and PNMs tear up. I spoke with two new girls on one from the first day. I learned about all the money raised locally in this chapter, and saw pictures of a child they helped. We made a cute craft that will be used for an event in the future. Again, this one went on the good list.

Next came..

Rasberry
This day went better than the first day because I met three new girls that were all sweet and conversation was easy. We made an adorable craft during this party. These girls loved telling all about the things they do for their philanthropy. Overall this chapter was moving up in my book.

Then it was..

Orange
This party was interesting because the craft we made was REALLY messy. Girls came out of this party with paint all over them (thankfully I was not too terribly covered.) The girls today were nice and I could tell they liked their philanthropy. The only downside to this chapter is that both girls I talked to had never been to the location of their philanthropy so they couldn't give me and first hand story about how it touched them.

Sour Apple
Well well well..back again to my least favorite. I met two girls on this day, and they were really nice. I made a craft that will be put to good use so I felt better about this chapter. Again, the girls I talked to seemed a little shy, but I just brushed it off because both were sophomores and could still be nervous.

Watermelon
This party was my last for the day. I enjoyed this party a lot because I had one girl come say hi that I had spoken with on the first day, and the two new ones I met were talkative and friendly. Genuine was the word that stayed in my mind whenever I spoke to these girls.

That night we picked our top 4 in random order, and our bottom one.
Here's mine:
Top 4-Watermelon, Pink Lemonade, Orange, and Rasberry.
Bottom: Sour Apple.

The next day was Skit Day!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I'm cheering on Pink Lemonade! Great to hear that things are going well for you!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Three: Skit Day

So I got up on Skit Day excited and nervous. I had heard from all the other girls that this day showed each chapters personality.

I got my party invites and was blessed to be invited to 4 parties.

Watermelon was up first.
This house had a really great skit. They gave out really nice refreshments and every girl in the chapter helped out in some way. I noticed how each girl performing in this skit danced only once, and I later learned that this is how each chapter showcases all of the girls' talents (which I love). Since this was my first party I can say that this house "set the bar" for my next three houses. This house again went up on my good list.

Rasberry was up next.
This skit was adorable. The girls had a game themed skit and it related to only to the sorority as a national organization, but also to the local chapter. The girls here didn't cheer on their sisters as much as the first house, but still, these girls could dance and perform.

Pink Lemonade was my 3rd party.
This house blew me away. The skits had dances that I would expect to see on one of those TV shows like "America's Next Best Dance Crew". The girls that were on the walls yelled and cheered and "got crunk" so to say. This house went on my good list too.

Sour Apple came last.
This house had nice decorations, but the actually skit didn't make much sense to me. The girls had fun performing the skit, and I enjoyed watching them cheer on each other. I actually spoke with the president of this house when the skit was over.

That night we picked our top 2 in random order, then ranked our bottom two.

Here's how mine looked:

Top 2- Watermelon, Pink Lemonade
Bottom 2 Ranked-Rasberry, Sour Apple

The next day was Pref Night!!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
So far I'm pulling for Watermelon they seem really great!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do I have this funny feeling you end up in Raspberry or Sour Apple?

More please!