Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,404
1 members and 1,403 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Compulsory Military Service: Yes? No? Maybe So?

What do you all think of the concept of implementing compulsory military service in the United States?

On one hand, people shouldn't be told they have to give up a few years of their lives to do something potentially dangerous.

On the other hand, the military exists to protect our country and its interests and by requiring people to serve it lets us all share equally in that responsibility.

I'm out of hands and I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure that all people are cut out for military service, personally. What I support is a two year community service OR military service requirement. Individuals could choose which one works for them. Also, people with medical issues could still do some sort of community service even if they didn't qualify for the military.

Knowing what I was like at 18, I think something like boot camp would have torn me down beyond repair. At that point in my life I had no self esteem and I think a drill sergeant would have sent me into a suicidal depression. I also have a deep seated ..not sure what to call it, I guess it's a fear.. of guns. If I had to hold and shoot a gun, I think I would lose it. I really don't think you'd want someone as thin-skinned as I am serving in the military! I don't think my comrades would feel I would have their back.

However, I would have done great in something like the Peace Corps or building Habitat for Humanity homes, doing City Year, volunteering for the Red Cross, etc.

I think most 18 year olds (of course there are exceptions, myself included) who really don't know what they want to do with their lives and spend the first couple years of college meandering from major to major trying to find their niche. This would both serve our country (in a variety of ways) and give them some time to figure things out before they get to a college atmosphere.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Used to be Selective Service and all Males, not including Females had to register for it.

I think We are one of the few Countrys who do not require this anymore.

I would agree with it once again with certain restrictions.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

I would support a draft. I'd also enroll in a PhD program in another country coincidentally at the same time that there was a draft.

-Rudey
Old 05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Used to be Selective Service and all Males, not including Females had to register for it.
There's no draft, but 18 year old young men have to register with Selective Service.

Being a person who could easily have been drafted (thank you ROTC in my case), I would rather not see it reinstated -- at least as it was, which is to say pretty unfair in terms of who was most affected.

I might be able to support mandatory government service of some king -- depending on how it would work and how it was administered.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

I've always been an admirer of Israel's military system. Both men and women serve 2-3 years compulsory service to the country in some manner. At first, everyone needed to know basic military training, and I'm sure that went a long way towards their country being so strong now. There's more about it here.

I agree with AGDee that the military isn't for everyone, but there are so many other options available to provide service to your country.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be a pain in the ass to have to work with people who don't want to do their job.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
It would be a pain in the ass to have to work with people who don't want to do their job.
Which, of course, is exactly what working in almost any company or job is like. There's always someone who doesn't want to be there.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I've always been an admirer of Israel's military system. Both men and women serve 2-3 years compulsory service to the country in some manner. At first, everyone needed to know basic military training, and I'm sure that went a long way towards their country being so strong now. There's more about it here.

I agree with AGDee that the military isn't for everyone, but there are so many other options available to provide service to your country.
Their country being strong has nothing to do with the billions of dollars worth of foriegn aid sent in by the U.S., does it?

I know the Israeli military can kick some ass, but give some credit to the American taxpayer!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that conscription might not work out so well. Wouldn't there be isues with desertment, fragging, etc?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 AM

No. I don't agree with making high school students do community service to graduate either, not that anyone asked.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Compulsory Military Service: Yes? No? Maybe So?

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
What do you all think of the concept of implementing compulsory military service in the United States?

On one hand, people shouldn't be told they have to give up a few years of their lives to do something potentially dangerous.

On the other hand, the military exists to protect our country and its interests and by requiring people to serve it lets us all share equally in that responsibility.

I'm out of hands and I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it...
I don't think its a good idea. Primarily because I would never do it. Those who want to serve should.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Which, of course, is exactly what working in almost any company or job is like. There's always someone who doesn't want to be there.
There's a bit of difference between someone not wanting to turn in a report, and someone not covering your back when you're being shot at by the enemy. I'm not sure the two situations are comparable.

My dad was drafted and served, my grandfathers both served, so on one hand, I don't see why I should be spared from serving. On the other hand, I think a committed force is much better than one that has been drafted, and may not even want to serve.

Of course it may be a moot point for me, as I'm not sure if I could serve with my heart condition.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Their country being strong has nothing to do with the billions of dollars worth of foriegn aid sent in by the U.S., does it?

I know the Israeli military can kick some ass, but give some credit to the American taxpayer!
I wouldn't dream of it. But if everyone in a country is prepared to defend it in some way (in the military, childcare, eldercare, food banks, etc), it only strengthens the nation.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I wouldn't dream of it. But if everyone in a country is prepared to defend it in some way (in the military, childcare, eldercare, food banks, etc), it only strengthens the nation.
This didn't address the question at all.

-RC
--Food banks?? WTF?