GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,236
0 members and 1,236 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2006, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Sororities at Columbia

Hi,
I have lurked at this site for a couple weeks and have gotten great information on sorority recruitment and Greek life. I'm an incoming first-year at Columbia in New York, and, though I've looked that the university's panhellenic website, I'll like some more information on the sororities before setting my heart on rushing.

1. One major issue is time. I'll be going to the engineering school and may be pre-med (so the GPA must stay relatively high), so I'll have to take five, and maybe six, tough classes (chemistry, calculus, that sort). I know it's hard to say exactly, but how time consuming is pledging and being a member?

2. I'm also wondering how seriously do sorority members take Greek life--like, are most of the sisters close? I found it odd that there are only four Panhellenic sororities at Columbia. Is being Greek looked down upon or is it that most people aren't that aware?

3. I've heard that sorority fees can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. On average how much are sorority dues per semester at Columbia?

Thanks, and I'll greatly appreciate any other insights on sorority life.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by squack

1. One major issue is time. I'll be going to the engineering school and may be pre-med (so the GPA must stay relatively high), so I'll have to take five, and maybe six, tough classes (chemistry, calculus, that sort). I know it's hard to say exactly, but how time consuming is pledging and being a member?
The new member period lasts 6-8 weeks for the NPC groups. There are usually weekly new member meetings that you must attend. Chapter meetings may or may not be optional. They are often held at the same time. In addition, there will be other activities that may be required or optional. It is best to discuss your intense class load with the members of each chapter to get a feel for the time commitment required. You will probably find most of them are in the same boat, and make it work.
Quote:
2. I'm also wondering how seriously do sorority members take Greek life--like, are most of the sisters close? I found it odd that there are only four Panhellenic sororities at Columbia. Is being Greek looked down upon or is it that most people aren't that aware?
No, not all the sisters are close but they are almost always supportive of each other. You won't be friends with every single girl, but you will have many close friends that you may not have met otherwise. It's like any large group. I don't know how GLOs are viewed on Columbia's campus, so I can't answer that one. I don't find it odd at all that there are only 4 NPCs there - it is a competive NE school and Greek Life is much smaller, overall, in the NE.
Quote:
3. I've heard that sorority fees can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. On average how much are sorority dues per semester at Columbia?
The Student Life office should have those figures and the chapters are required to tell you that information during recruitment. Unless there is a house on campus and you are living-in, the cost should not range into the thousands. Keep in mind, however, that the dues costs may not include all social events and do not include extras like shirts, party favors, etc.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

SQuack, (LOVE the name by the way), I had a lot of friends who went to Columbia, as well as one friend who was an SDT there. (And I say was not is, because she seemed to forget about the sorority the second that she left college.) From what I understand, Greek Life is not looked down upon it there, one of the biggest party/campus-wide events is thrown by one of the fraternities there. The reason that there are only four NPC sororities is that because the school is in NYC and it's so big, girls who come there see sorority life as a social life thing and feel that they can get the same without being in one. There are girls from all over who join sororities at Columbia, it gives you a sense of a family away from home. If you look at the Delta Gamma website, it lists where all of their sisters are from. There were several sisters from various countries. Best of luck to you. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
squack,
First, congrats on starting at Columbia, it was one of my top choices, so I'm excited for you to just get to go to school there!
I'm also especially happy that you're interested in checking out greek life; yea for northern greeks.
I also find it kind of sad that Columbia only has 4 NPC groups, especially considering that two NPC groups were started at Barnard/Columbia. I'm sure part of the reason is that way, way back (early 1900's) all sororities were closed at Barnard. And with that interesting relationship between Barnard and Columbia, some later recolonized at Barnard, some opened chapters at Columbia, etc.
But enjoy checking out the NPC groups that are there, and keep us updated!

TEII
Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib
squack,
First, congrats on starting at Columbia, it was one of my top choices, so I'm excited for you to just get to go to school there!
I'm also especially happy that you're interested in checking out greek life; yea for northern greeks.
I also find it kind of sad that Columbia only has 4 NPC groups, especially considering that two NPC groups were started at Barnard/Columbia. I'm sure part of the reason is that way, way back (early 1900's) all sororities were closed at Barnard. And with that interesting relationship between Barnard and Columbia, some later recolonized at Barnard, some opened chapters at Columbia, etc.
But enjoy checking out the NPC groups that are there, and keep us updated!
kchaptergphib, Barnard does not allow sororities at all. No sororities recolonized there after they closed. However, because Barnard and Columbia are affiliated and are located across the street from each other, Barnard women are allowed to join the sororities (and any other student organizations) at Columbia.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is being Greek looked down upon or is it that most people aren't that aware?
I'm no expert on sorority life in general, but I do know about Columbia.

The truth is that YES, some non-affiliated people will look down on you for being in a sorority at Barnard/Columbia. It doesn't mean that they are right to do it, or that you should care. But in contrast to some campuses, especially in other parts of the country, going Greek at Columbia is not especially associated with leadership, prominence on campus, or popularity one way or the other. It's just one more thing that some kids do. It doesn't sound like you're interested in a sorority for image-related reasons, anyway, but that's the answer to your question.

Regarding time management, virtually everyone at Columbia will be deeply involved in at least one activity outside of school, and often more. You would not have gotten in if they didn't expect you to do the same and handle the pressure well. You might think about this not in terms of whether you'll be able to handle school plus sorority, but about which activities you want to prioritize in your limited time. So school plus sorority plus intramural basketball is probably doable; school plus sorority plus an a cappella group plus writing for the Spectator plus running a peer health education program might not be (at least not freshman year). When you get to campus in the fall, there will be opportunities for you to learn more about all different kinds of involvement, so just go and check everything out and see what speaks to you the most.