GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,087
1 members and 1,086 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

rushing again

I was pressured (dirty rush) into joining a house. I did not want to appear rude or ungrateful and i wanted it to work out, however, now i am an initiated member of a house where i do not like the people in it. I want to disaffiliate, however, if i do is there any way whatsoever that i can rush again? Greek life is big on campus and I would like to find a sorority where i belong, this house is not a match for me, the girls are weird and kinda mean. any advice would be great. thnks!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Assuming you're in an NPC sorority and you want to rush other NPC sororities, the answer is no. Once initiated you can never go back.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancergrl View Post
I was pressured (dirty rush) into joining a house. I did not want to appear rude or ungrateful and i wanted it to work out, however, now i am an initiated member of a house where i do not like the people in it. I want to disaffiliate, however, if i do is there any way whatsoever that i can rush again? Greek life is big on campus and I would like to find a sorority where i belong, this house is not a match for me, the girls are weird and kinda mean. any advice would be great. thnks!
Being "dirty rushed" does happen. However, if the manner in which you were rushed upset you, why on earth did you stay the whole way through pledging and initiation?

Try talking to your pledgemistress or big sister about your concerns and see if it can be worked out.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Echoing what others have said, why on earth would you go through a new member process and initiate into a sorority where the girls are weird and mean?

Your choices are: disaffiliate and join a local sorority that will take former NPC members, disaffiliate and remain independent, or try to make the best of things right where you are. It is not possible to join another NPC organization once you've been initiated into one.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea which NPC group you joined but just remember that the makeup of a chapter can change with a pledge class or 2. Those who were once mean and at the bottom can change and be extremely close and number one.

Talk to your pledge class members and see if they feel the same...and do something about it!!

If you truly don't think it is for you, then perhaps disaffliation may be better...but remember the NPC org is made up of more than just those members. While I may not have instantly loved some of my collegiate chapter sisters, I haven't found an alumne athat I didn't like/love.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

well i just kept trying to give it more of a chance until it was too late. i feel trapped now! i really do regret not dropping when i had the chance.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

i wanted it to work and it ddnt, does this mean i can never join a house where i would better fit in?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i wanted it to work and it ddnt, does this mean i can never join a house where i would better fit in?
If you joined an NPC sorority...then no.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you in a chapter affiliated with NPC?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

yes its npc
Old 10-19-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yes its npc
no, you can't join another NPC group--no matter how comfortable you feel with them.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what it means.
Either make the best of it or drop out.

Make change or drop out.

That is your options.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yes its npc
Sorry, you're stuck where you are then, unless there's a local that wouldn't have any policies precluding them from accepting you.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 PM

It's not even November yet.

If you went through rush in - the earliest I can think of - mid August, that means you've been in the sorority for only 2 months.

As I said in my pm to you, to go through feelings of "what did I do" after the busy time of pledging is perfectly normal. Especially if you're in a larger chapter, to not feel like you've found your place right away is more common than you'd think. Give the girls and the sorority a chance.

If you still detest it next semester or at the end of next year - then disaffiliate. But you're not in a situation where if you move quickly, you'll be able to be in another sorority. You can't, unless it's a local or a non-NPC national group. So you might as well try to make it work, at least until the end of this semester.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

it seems unfair that i am now stuck