Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,106
0 members and 1,106 guests
No Members online

Old 06-14-2003, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Phi Mu Pride

Ok I know that I am guilty of this too at times, but this is something I've been noticing lately.

Yes we all value our freedom of speech... but let's face it-- with Nationals around we must be careful when we are sportin our letters. Out in public or on Greekchat.

Other nationals have done it and tried to make their members not be allowed to post on GC. Fortunately that hasn't happened with us. So all I'm asking is PLEASE be careful of what you say in your posts, especially if you have our letters in your username or signature. Like if you're gona post in the drunk thread, hit the lil box that says "show signature" so it doesn't show. It's not that hard.

KLTC
Old 06-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Unregistered-

Re: Phi Mu Pride

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Ok I know that I am guilty of this too at times, but this is something I've been noticing lately.

Yes we all value our freedom of speech... but let's face it-- with Nationals around we must be careful when we are sportin our letters. Out in public or on Greekchat.

Other nationals have done it and tried to make their members not be allowed to post on GC. Fortunately that hasn't happened with us. So all I'm asking is PLEASE be careful of what you say in your posts, especially if you have our letters in your username or signature. Like if you're gona post in the drunk thread, hit the lil box that says "show signature" so it doesn't show. It's not that hard.
P, my biaaaa...and other Phi Mus, I hate to crash your board, but I wanted to say that I totally agree.

We're not perfect, but the least we could do is try to be awesome representatives of our respective GLOs, even if it means hitting that small button at the end of the page.

One of the things that I really hate to do the most is PM or email a fellow sister to ask her to edit her post or ask her to take out her letters. I really love how my sisters contribute to the boards, and I totally understand and respect each opinion, but sometimes some lines are crossed, and it blows because that line is so thin and oftentimes we're unaware of what we say on these boards. I know because I'm guilty of it too!

Thanks for pointing this out, and I hope that everyone can keep this in mind!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I've noticed it too. I wonder though if everyone realizes it -- I like to think that if I made an inappropriate post, I'd be making it because I didn't realize it was inappropriate!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Got names PM Mama?

Just be upfront with her.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
Got names PM Mama?

Just be upfront with her.
OOOH, OOOH, I got to do something as a mod!
Old 06-14-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I sent someone a PM today (before I read this thread)...but not even as a mod...as a sister. I hope this will clear things up.

Thank you for starting this thread PM_Mama00
Old 06-14-2003, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, i may be shot for this, but keep in mind, this is my opinion. i think we take things wayyyyyy to seriously. i really don't know if this started from a post that was made recently or if this was a notice in general. in either case, i feel like we (as members of the greek community) perpetuate the stereotype that greek orgs "rule" the lives of their members. people don't want to join groups if they feel that in order to be a part, they will have to give up the right to make their own decisions. i have had people say to me that they would never be greek bc they like to think for themselves. we (as members of greek orgs) are running around saying that you can be an individual and have your own thoughts, feelings, etc., but then we say that someone shouldn't post a story if it might make the group look bad. i see a clear distinction between someone posting ritual related things and hey i got drunk the other night or i got a tattoo on my boob, etc. yes, it is important to be respectful of other people, so i don't think it is ok for someone to berate someone else. if a member of any group was posting something degoratory based on race, religion, etc., then i would be the first to be upset. there are differences tho. when people are posting, i don't read their posts and think...wow every (insert greek org) must be (insert adjective) because susyposter said she got drunk (or whatever). i think it is extremely naive to think that one person on a message board could make or break a group's reputation. oh, yeah, especially since there is no way to verify that someone is really a member of a group they claim to be....
Old 06-14-2003, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Pinky,

While I agree with you on some of your points, I also must say that it is totally inappropriate for any person, whether a Phi Mu or not, to make comments concerning an entire ethnicity or nationality. When a person choses to do so, they should not put the signature containing their organization's letters at the bottom of the post.

It's the same as a person who exhibits poor judgement at work being fired...they represent their business organization. When you include your letters at the bottom of your post, you represent your sorority. Just as you would act appropriately in a jersey or pin, you should do the same on a message board.

I, too, do not associate everything someone posts with their fraternity or sorority, and I totally support the right of people to express their feelings, but they should do so independently of their organization. People against GLOs are looking for any reason they can to not support us, so why give them a reason?
Old 06-14-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I agree with VSUPhiMu....I am totally in support of free speech but when you blatantly insult a nationality...especially with your letters plastered everywhere I feel like I can't ignore that. Not that it's OK to insult a nationality at *any* time, but it's easier for me to just brush it off as ignorance b/c I understand that there will always be ignorant people and I can't be a "crusader" at all times.

Anyway....from a purely "sorority" standpoint....rush is 365 days a year. If you're going to be outwardly representing Phi Mu...and in GC world that means having your letters in your username and/or signature...you need to represent us to the best of your ability. By no means I am saying that anyone of us is "perfect" but making racist remarks is certainly not the best that we can do. You never know who is reading the boards....and when PNMs see racist remarks being made by members of certain GLOs that could turn them off forever. Could be a totally different chapter that they would be rushing but nevertheless that is the image that they have in their minds. Just my .02
Old 06-15-2003, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I agree with ladybug1116, and I've PMed the poster in question, too, and got an incredibly nasty message in response.

No, greek orgs. don't "control the lives" of their members. But when you joined Phi Mu, you made certain pledges and promises. These are vows you promised to keep for life. I feel like that's the end of the story.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
And yeah, Nationals may piss us off from time to time, but no matter what I LOVE NATIONALS! It's what keeps Phi Mu the same as what our founders wanted Phi Mu to be. And I LOVE Kathy Williams and if she had seen some of the stuff written against nationals, she definately would NOT be a happy person.

Nationals is not only the people that are on the boards. Nationals is what we are... Phi Mu.

KLTC
Old 06-15-2003, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

i have not seen the post in question, so i am taking this from a completely objective standpoint....

if a person makes derogatory remarks...whether or not their glo name is on their post...they are being completely inappropriate!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i haven't seen the post in question either, although i have seen a few posts i have questioned lately. PLEASE don't post disparaging remarks about an organization, ethnicity, country, group of people, whatever...on GC some people WILL take it out on Phi Mu or whatever organization the poster is a member of as a whole. do we really want to hurt our sisters and others on this board?