Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 912
0 members and 912 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sig as Grad?

Hi!

I have applied to a grad school that has a chapter of Phi Sig. I've never been in a NPC sorority, and I thought it might be fun to COB if I get into this school! However, I am married and I don't think I could participate in many social activities. Does Phi Sig have a "in between" membership status? Not an active member, but not alum either? I would be more than happy to attend weekly chapter meetings and help with other things. Thank you for your help!

Aolani
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

HI Aolani,

I know there are other sisters here who could answer your questions better, but here are my thoughts...

Every chapter has its own standards - for some all socials are optional while others you have to attend a certain number. For instance, in my chapter all recruitment events and philanthropies and formal(regional conference, initiation, founder's day) activites are mandatory whereas all socials are optional. There are some minor fundraisers that are optional, but the big fundraisers are not. Every sister puts into what she can - some do not take on any positions as committee chairmen because they know they can't handle it all...

In general, school and family always comes first, but you should find that there is a variety of opportunities within the sorority that will fit your needs.

Simply put, if you were to join, you would be an active sister. A sister is initiated as an active (and on very rare occasions as Alum). However, if her circumstances change and she cannot participate as much as before, she can ask for chapter status - this is something that is decided at a chapter level and every chapter has their own rules about how and when a sister can recieve chapter status.

I think you should go ahead and COB and see what the sisters say about obligations and how you feel about it - there is a definite time committment but it varies for each sister.

Go ahead and have fun! It'll be worth it to find out!