GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,140
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,029
2 members and 1,027 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 04-06-2002, 12:32 PM

3rd party vendors/insurance/liability

Instead of moving your social activites to neutral sites, has anyone tried changing the "official" address of their house? Wouldn't that be easier?

Ex.. Your GLO is located at #1 Fraternity/Sorority Row, aka (1st Street). The school/nationals pass a new rule that states you can no longer have alcohol at your house. The GLOs then bypass the rule by moving their activites to out of house locations, like a house down the street that is rented by your members, FOP hall, fire hall, bar, restaurant, or where ever.
You are still conducting all the same activites but you are doing it at different locations.
Now instead of moving all the activities, what would be the downside of telling the IFC/nationals that your new address is a location where only one brother lives and their is never any alcohol or rules violations?
Old 04-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Does your HQ smile upon being lied to in order for your chapter to circumvent the alcohol policy? I'd imagine they'd come down pretty hard if they found out what was going on. A good rule of thumb: If you can't call your national office and ask the question then your best bet is not to do it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-06-2002, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Actually . .. what you said is pretty common MadMax . ..
Old 04-07-2002, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

James is right -- although, in my experience, the guys just choose the apartment of a member and turn it into an unofficial "annex."

Many Nationals still think they are liable if it is an official chapter function. The definition of "function" can be almost as goofy at some of the more picky hazing rules. Some say that if more than one member is present, it is a chapter function -- and it doesn't matter where it is held.

Even on my worst day I can't buy into that one.

Carried to that extreme, two brothers or sisters couldn't even have a beer together anywhere but in a bar (third party vendor).

In reality, though, I think the third party vendor is the best of all possible evils.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.