GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,142
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,298
1 members and 1,297 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Is Anyone Else Sick of Lilly?

I have a daughter possibly going through rush this fall and I'm starting to think about her wardrobe. To tell you the truth, I think I'm going to steer her away from the Lily Pulitzer sundresses. For many years, I thought they were so cute and, admittedly own a few.

But it seems that every sorority related picture I see shows at least three or four girls in Lilly sundresses. I opened my latest issue of my alumnae magazine and what do I see? Lilly everywhere! (I mean, she does a lot of pink and green so I can see how it's a good choice for a DZ but still...enough is enough!).

Does anyone else agree with me? I think I'm going to look at Alice + Olivia or even some of the "calmer looking" Betsey Johnson for rush.

Maybe it's just me though? That's entirely possible!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with you. I have never been fond of Lily because it tends to stereotype sororities in a "uniform". Sort of like the preppy look of the 80s and the popped collars. I love a great shift for recruitment that is neither too short or too tight: understated and classy. Glad Lily isn't too popular in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't stand Lilly, but I love A+O--and you can find a lot of her dresses fairly cheaply on Ebay. Feel free to PM me for Ebay search tips if you're going that route; I do a lot of buying and resale through there and could potentially help you find nice deals on badly-listed items
Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

NEVER HOW DARE YOU SLANDER THE NAME OF LILLY YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT ACTUALLY A SORORITY WOMAN IF YOU DON'T WORSHIP AT THE ALTER OF SHIFT DRESSES-

Haha nah. I can't really wear bright colors, particularly pink, with my coloring so a lot of her things are out for me. I do think everyone's (parents'?) wallets would appreciate it if we scaled back the obsession, though. I saw pictures of a chapter in full Lilly uniform for a November open house and they all just looked cold.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you.
Thank you!
A lot of their dresses are cute, but a lot just look like overpriced sacks.
And they don't do plus sizes for some of us (grand)mamas!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 01-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have never found a Lily dress that had a hemline appropriate for a woman my height.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I have a daughter possibly going through rush this fall and I'm starting to think about her wardrobe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I think I'mgoing to look at Alice + Olivia or even some of the "calmer looking" Betsey Johnson for rush.
Does your daughter get to have input for her rush?

In all seriousness, I'm not sick of Lilly, but then again you don't see a lot of Lilly up north so that's why. Also, I think I generally go for the more understated Lilly stuff. For example, I really liked the stuff that came out for fall/winter because they used a lot of navys/deeper fuschias. Of the Lilly stuff I own, only 1 top and 1 dress have the super bright, colorful patterns that you think of when you think of Lilly. The rest are solids or a lot more understated patterns.

I'd never heard of Alice + Olivia, so I Googled it. I liked a handful of things, but generally not for me. I have friends that would be into it. I do have to say though, holy polar opposite of Lilly!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I have never found a Lily dress that had a hemline appropriate for a woman my height.
I remember you said this in the Lilly thread, but I swear it's just the models! How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'6'' and I bought a dress in their end of summer sale. I haven't worn it yet (because it's super summery) but I'm going to have it hemmed cause it's too long! Let me see if I can find a picture of it on the web somewhere...

ETA: Fooooound it! http://www.lillypulitzer.com/product...Dress/2895.uts

I wanted it to be the length like it is on the model, but it hits me at the knees, womp womp.

Last edited by lovespink88; 01-13-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally am not sick of Lilly because I've never lived in a location where it's super popular. Whenever I wear my Lilly items, I always get compliments on the pattern and colors! I wore Lilly to my undergrad graduation

I have found that Lilly requires a ton of alterations for me, so if I want a Lilly look without those, I head to JCrew in the spring.

ETA: not a fan of the Alice and Olivia line--they look like stuck up snobby sacks! Too much black and white, I like color
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I remember you said this in the Lilly thread, but I swear it's just the models! How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'6'' and I bought a dress in their end of summer sale. I haven't worn it yet (because it's super summery) but I'm going to have it hemmed cause it's too long! Let me see if I can find a picture of it on the web somewhere...

ETA: Fooooound it! http://www.lillypulitzer.com/product...Dress/2895.uts

I wanted it to be the length like it is on the model, but it hits me at the knees, womp womp.
I'm almost 5'11". There's stuff that's borderline, but I just try to buy longer hems than most of what they show.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 01-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
I personally am not sick of Lilly because I've never lived in a location where it's super popular. Whenever I wear my Lilly items, I always get compliments on the pattern and colors! I wore Lilly to my undergrad graduation

I have found that Lilly requires a ton of alterations for me, so if I want a Lilly look without those, I head to JCrew in the spring.

ETA: not a fan of the Alice and Olivia line--they look like stuck up snobby sacks! Too much black and white, I like color
^^Yup!
I've never been big on the floral patterns and have stayed more towards the one color with embroidery. It could also be that Lilly is almost non-existant around here. I also tend to go for J Crew or Aritizia if I want something. I hate to buy things online without trying them on first. I also don't like the A and O line. Perhaps it's the models, but it seems like the clothes would drape over the women without really complimenting them. Like she said, a sack. They also seem like a step down from Bebe. Too many sequins unless it's Vegas, but also snobby. At least the Lilly models look like they are enjoying the clothes they are wearing and that they have a personality.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm almost 5'11". There's stuff that's borderline, but I just try to buy longer hems than most of what they show.
Ah ha, well then I can see how that can be a problem!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not familiar with Betsey Johnson, so I googled it. I'd stick with LP.

This is a featured item on the website. My jaw dropped. The only thing I can say is that this would definitely work with those hooker-style sorority pumps we all heckled a couple months back.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 01-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Oh, and my signature should in no way be interpreted as a caption for that catalog photo!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It's so overrated.