Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,062
0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online

Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Any other substitutes/teachers out there?

I'm a licensed teacher in Ohio and I'm on my second year of subbing. I'm looking for a full-time position but the job market here stinks .

I'm trying to do things to get my name out in the system. Currently, I have business cards that I pass out at schools. I eat lunch in the teacher's lounge. I'm friendly to other teachers and try to join in on conversations, but it's hard to fit in when I'm in a different school every day.

Are there any other teachers/subs that can give me advice about how to get my name out?

Last edited by Phimuteach; 11-01-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in my 3rd year subbing in NE Ohio and all I can say is keep doing what you are doing. If you are looking for something long term (like a maternity leave, etc), make sure you talk to the building principal so he/she knows that you are interested. Get yourself out to as many districts as possible. I tried to do that my first year but one district kept me so busy that I only went to 3 other districts and not that often. My second year, not at all (I was in long terms with this particular district all last year) and this year I'm kind of stuck where I was last year. Not that I don't mind it....I love the district but with levy problems....it's been very difficult to be hired.

Keep plugging away at what you are doing and it'll take you a long way....you just have to be patient. (Wow...me using that word considering everyone else has told me that too and I do my best to refuse!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I subbed when I was in grad school, before I became a fulltime teacher.

Go meet the Principal's Secretary, or other designee who is assigned the job of contacting subs for emergencies... such as, when they call @ 6am for a sub THAT day.

In Miami, where I used to teach, these designees were easily "bribed." (and I mean that JOKINGLY.) If they were given a cutesy little gift, with the sub's card/resume (whatever you use) attached, they'd be called. Gift = something small like a first aid kit / bandages - "in case of emergency" - get it?

The beginning of the year, schools are flowing with subs. But if you can stand to wait till Feb-Mar, that's when lots of subs have been hired, and there needs to be a new flow of available subs.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM

This is surprising to me. In Texas, we are constantly needing teachers. Again, the best suggestion is to speak directly to the principals and vice-principals of the buildings that you are in and let them know - You are willing and able to teach anything that comes open. Also, check out the private and parochiol schools. Even though they may not pay as well, it's a way to get your foot in the door and get the steady experience.

Or, move to the Dallas area. All of the districts in this area need teachers! When I started in the Dallas district 11 years ago, on the first day of school they still had 200 positions unfilled. It's not that bad now, but they still constantly have positions open.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi PhiMuTeach!
I'm in the same boat. This is my second year of teaching in SW Ohio without a full-time job. I have 2 part time jobs with a school district that keep me there 7:30am-3:30pm every day of the week..but still no full time benefits or pay...just keep trying to find jobs anywhere is all I can say. I'm getting my Masters and another license in something other then Early Childhood Edu. so hopefuly things will change for me next year! Just keep your head up and keep searching!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

hmmm

What is it with Ohio? I've heard negative things about the market for teachers out there. I know a girl who chose to move from Ohio to another state so that she could find a teaching job!

I'm not from Ohio, but I'm interested in teaching, too... still looking at my options as I don't have a BA in edu
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Don't worry--I had the same problem! I graduated last August with a master's in education, and I was offered two jobs...only one of which was full-time, and it would've meant moving to another city so I said no thanks. It is kind of a bummer, since my advisor promised me before I entered the program that there would be tons of jobs out there due to the fact that many Home Ec teachers are retiring and they would supposedly need new ones, but you know how that goes.

I think you're doing pretty much all you can do as far as getting your name out. That's the secret right there. I don't know how Ohio does it, but here in Kentucky we have a state website that lists all open teaching positions and a lot of times you can find out about jobs before they're listed simply by contacting the schools. Make friends with the principals in the schools you'd like to work in and let them know you're looking for full-time employment because a lot of times, principals already have the position filled even before the job opening is listed!

Just hang in there--I definitely feel your pain! I really like my current job, which has nothing to do with teaching, but I still sort of feel like I should at least give teaching a shot since I took out all those loans to get certified.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the word of encouragement! I'm still hanging in there- subbing has taught me a lot. I just want my own classroom! The school district I sub for is building a new elementary school to open next school year, so I'm hopeful.

I've already decided that I'm either going to get a job here or relocate to NC next school year. I can't do another year w/o health insurance. I'll definitely keep everyone posted!

To answer your question Orchid:
There is a problem w/ teachers getting jobs in Ohio for 2 main reasons:

1. The population is shrinking, so there are less jobs and students.
2. The licensing for elementary educators is narrow. I'm licensed PK-3 , which is basically K-3 since preschool jobs pay close to minimum wage. I really wish that the certification was K-5 here, because I would teach fourth or fifth grade in a heartbeat!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Be wary a little bit

If you are looking for full time teaching employment, be aware that to some degree you are setting yourself up for the world's longest interview/tryout.

Sometimes, subbing lets you get your foot in the door, but other times, it can almost work against you because it changes the way they see you and lumps you in to a group of people who some places only have to have high school diplomas.

I've also seen long term subs get the shaft. Most of us aren't perfect from day to day, and when you fill the same job for six or twelve weeks as a sub, you get the pleasure of dealing with crazy kids and parents just like the rest of us. Instead of the completely clean slate that other candidates get in the interview, you will likely have some baggage that they don't.

(I report this not from personal experience as a sub, but as a witness to it happening to other people. Instead of being grateful that someone stepped up and took over, "they" hold the longterm sub responsible for every negative outcome. Did the classroom teacher leave bad plans? Are some of the parents clearly crazy? Were there some discipline issues? Irrationally, all that reflects on you.)
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard the same thing about Michigan (lots of teachers not many jobs).

While here in AZ, we are a lot like TX, tons of jobs open. At the beginning of the school year one district still had 80 spots open (but don't feel to bad for them, this district refused to put my application active because I was missing 1 letter of rec.). My school district had about 50 positions open.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's most of the Midwest where it is hard to get a teaching job. I live in the Chicagoland area and teaching jobs are few and far between.

I subbed for half a semester, then was an aide for a year, and just out of pure luck I got a job teaching Kindergarten at a private school and have been there for 3 years.

I have alot of friends from college (I went to a college where education was what most of the students were majoring in) that moved to FL, CA, AZ, and NV just to get a teaching job.

I wish you good luck, and as I always say, what comes up, must come down. They say there are going to be alot of baby boomers retiring soon!!

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Post Interesting Thread

I'm in Mississippi, where the demand for teachers seems insane, but I hear complaints from would-be teachers everyday claiming they can't get their foot in the door.

I did substitute teaching for a year, and I discovered how unenthused principals are when you approach them for employment as a sub. I don't know if they don't take us seriously or what.

It wasn't until I took both Praxis tests (I have several degrees already), and showed up for one of the job fairs given by a local school district here, that I suddenly got offers left and right. I ended up having to turn down two job offers and now I will be starting as the Choral Director at a local middle school here in the city. So, in my opinion, attending the job fairs are best, because you get interviewed right there on the spot. Most of the people I talked to who are having trouble getting call-backs are people who missed the job fairs. So, stay on the look-out for them if you want to get your foot in the door.
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

UPDATE!

I got a job teaching third grade. They start next week though (yeah, I'm going to be really stressed out preparing)!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Subbing was how my mom landed a full-time teaching job in CA. As other GC'ers advised, be willing to fill in for just about anything. Her emphasis was in U.S. history, but I remember her subbing in everything from art to jr high boys PE, told the kids she has 2 sons, so if they didn't behave, yes, she's come charging into the dressing room, to math, not her best subject. She filled in for one fourth grade teacher who was on medical leave, and another sub had been chased out by the students. When the main teacher couldn't come back, she was hired full time. She had credentials for elementary and jr. high.

My brother has taught in an inner city school, So Cal, 10 years. He also started off with subbing. Like my mom, he was on several district sub lists, and just kept working the districts, being pleasant, helpful, and landed a full time job teaching history.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimuteach View Post
UPDATE!

I got a job teaching third grade. They start next week though (yeah, I'm going to be really stressed out preparing)!
Where at (I'm assuming Ohio)? You can PM me if you want..I'm starting this year too!