Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,291
1 members and 1,290 guests
Titchou

Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Hello, from MuMu alum in NoVa

Hey y'all,
My name is Elyssa Brecher and I'm a Fall '95 initiate of Oglethorpe Univeristy. I was recently asked to be, and accepted the position of, Chapter Advisor to Alpha Delta Delta at George Mason University.

As it's been 12 years since I was initiated, I am having a terrible time remembering some very important details of being a brother.
If there is anyone out there who can help me out, I'd be very appreciative. If anyone needs onfirmation of my membership, I'm happy to provide it through email at gmuaphioadvisor@yahoo.com.

Thanks to all,
In LFS,
Elyssa
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

www.apo.org
Old 08-29-2007, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah, I know the national website addy, but there is no information on there about the things we keep private (believe me, I've looked at everything).
I'm really in need of a brother in the DC area who would be willing to give me a refresher on the basics.
Anyone out there?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The national website has a link to the Section, which has the Section Chair's email address. I am in the DC area, but I do not feel comfortable refreshing someone on esoteric information that I personally haven't forgotten in the past 8.5 years. The section chair should be willing and able, though.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

One would think, wouldn't they? I actually emailed the Section Chair and the Region Chair when I was first asked to become an advisor and never received a reply from either of them.
I've only recently signed on with APONCA (DC area alumni group) but the only thing that seems to happen with them is a monthly happy hour, which I can't attend.
I'm hoping the Ritual Manual has some information in it....National is sending me on this week, so we'll see.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Are the other chapter advisors unable to assist you with this?

As you have been 'out of the loop' for awhile, it might be good to attend some of the chapter's upcoming pledge program sessions, to get back up to date (and a great way to get acquanted with the pledges).
Section 71 Chair
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
Are the other chapter advisors unable to assist you with this?

As you have been 'out of the loop' for awhile, it might be good to attend some of the chapter's upcoming pledge program sessions, to get back up to date (and a great way to get acquanted with the pledges).
That's the plan. I have emailed one of the current advisors, and I'm afraid she thinks I'm trying to "take over", since she's been emailing the president, saying how much more she wants to be involved with the chapter (apprently, she hasn't been up to now). I've just contacted National, asking for the names/addys of the other advisors.
Right now, I'm scheduled to be "initiated" as an advisor this Sunday night. (I had no idea there was an actual ritual for this, but apparently, there is) At that time, I'll talk to the Exec Board about what I need help with. I just don't want to embarass myself in front of the actives by not knowing what I'm doing.

One good thing is that National is sending me a copy of the Ritual Manual, so I can refresh my memory. I just hope it has all the information I need in it. If not, I'm up a creek...
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just out of curiosity, can an alumni brother "re-pledge" for reasons like this? Or at all?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAPhiOAdvisor View Post
That's the plan. I have emailed one of the current advisors, and I'm afraid she thinks I'm trying to "take over", since she's been emailing the president, saying how much more she wants to be involved with the chapter (apprently, she hasn't been up to now).
Well, this advisor needs to understand that chapters are required to have a minimum of *4* advisors, so its silly to speak of another advisor 'trying to take over'. ALL advisors should be involved, and ideally the chapter should have made it clear what their needs/expectations with regards to the advisors. (which you seem to be looking for)

Quote:
I'm scheduled to be "initiated" as an advisor this Sunday night. (I had no idea there was an actual ritual for this, but apparently, there is) At that time, I'll talk to the Exec Board about what I need help with. I just don't want to embarass myself in front of the actives by not knowing what I'm doing.
There is no specific ritual to initiate advisors. Advisors who were not previously Brothers DO go thru the regular Initiation Ritual that all the pledges go thru to become Brothers, but advisors who are already Brothers do not need to do so. You would just fill in the paperwork, and ideally indicate your already assigned National number on the applications (you will be assigned a Chapter number in this chapter).

Quote:
can an alumni brother "re-pledge" for reasons like this? Or at all?
It is rare to 're-pledge'. Its been done. Jack McKenzie did this. What is better is to sit in on the pledge program to get updated on APO, as well as learn the history and such about the chapter. Similiar to what chapters would require of transfer Brothers.
Section 71 Chair
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, silly or not, since the advisor has been emailing the president of the chapter, the "tone" of the president's emails to me have changed a great deal. This advisor is a faculty advisor, as well as the advisory chair, so when the chair position was mentioned to me, I thought it was because there wasn't one. Now, I find out there is, and I'm sure it's been mentioned between the president and current advisory chair. This advisor also told me herself that she hadn't been regularly involved with the chapter, so maybe she feels like I'm trying to push her out. Not the case, of course, but sometimes people read into things. I just want to be an active advisor and do what is best for the chapter.

Other than that, I plan to sit in on the pledge program to "relearn" what it means to be a brother. I've been in touch with the section chair as well as the section rep for the chapter. Both will be at CPPC this Sunday, so I'll get to make contact with them in person. The section rep is going to help me out with a "refresher course" as well as some insight to the chapter. I'm hoping this happens before the meeting.

As for the "ritual" there is an oath that's taken by the advisor, similar to the initiation oath....my application is on file with National, along with my membership number, so that's taken care of.
I guess we'll see what happens after this Sunday.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, silly or not, since the advisor has been emailing the president of the chapter, the "tone" of the president's emails to me have changed a great deal. This advisor is a faculty advisor, as well as the advisory chair, so when the chair position was mentioned to me, I thought it was because there wasn't one. Now, I find out there is, and I'm sure it's been mentioned between the president and current advisory chair. This advisor also told me herself that she hadn't been regularly involved with the chapter, so maybe she feels like I'm trying to push her out. Not the case, of course, but sometimes people read into things. I just want to be an active advisor and do what is best for the chapter.
The chapter determines who is to be their advisors and who is to be their advisory chair. Its usually a good idea for chapters to 're-elect' their advisors each year. This would also be the appropriate time to determine who will be thier advisory chair.

And as I said, its also a good idea for chapters to make it clear what their needs and expectations are from their advisors (want advisors to attend events, want atleast one advisor at each event, etc) as a group and individually (make use of specific skills, want advisor X to advise the Treasurer, advisor Y to advise pledge master, etc)

Sounds like prehaps your Section Chair may want to look into this and help clear things up.

Quote:
As for the "ritual" there is an oath that's taken by the advisor, similar to the initiation oath....my application is on file with National, along with my membership number, so that's taken care of.
I guess we'll see what happens after this Sunday.
There is no oath taken by advisors, other then what may be given by the officers when they are sworn in. This is separate from and totally apart from the Initiation Ceremony. If this chapter wants to swear you in as an advisor, that's fine, but they should not refer to this as an initation.

Such a swearing in is separate from the pledge & initiation rituals. It can be done as part of these, thus ensuring that most of the chapter is present, etc. It can be done at a chapter meeting (useful if you aren't going to do a ritual any time soon).
Section 71 Chair
Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
There is no oath taken by advisors, other then what may be given by the officers when they are sworn in. This is separate from and totally apart from the Initiation Ceremony. If this chapter wants to swear you in as an advisor, that's fine, but they should not refer to this as an initation.
I know you are an advisor, but I beg to differ. On the application to become an advisor, in the box that is to be filled out by the chapter, it clearly says "The official ritual (will be) (has been) administered on _______ day of __________, 20____." With a place for the signature of either the Chapter President or Vice President.

Perhaps things have changed since you became an advisor? I know when I spoke with Julie Regos, Chapter Services Asst, she indicated that there was a "new" form with a check box for advisory chair. Maybe this is even newer than the one you filled out when you became advisor? She also indicated it was a simple ceremony, not as in depth as an initiation ceremony. I'm happy to forward the form she emailed me.

I've taken the oath as a brother, but I am preparing myself to take another when I become advisor.

Luckily, the Section Chair will be there, as will the Chapter's Section Rep, so I'm looking forward to getting some guidance from them.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know you are an advisor, but I beg to differ. On the application to become an advisor, in the box that is to be filled out by the chapter, it clearly says "The official ritual (will be) (has been) administered on _______ day of __________, 20____." With a place for the signature of either the Chapter President or Vice President.

That space on the form is for people who have not already been initiated.

emb201 is correct: there is no other ritual or ceremony for advisors outside of the officer installation.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Then I stand humbly corrected. *bowing head*
I wonder why I was told to expect a ceremony, when I told Julie my national member number when I talked to her.

Oh well....less pressure on me.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As noted, that is refering to the Initiation ceremony, and would be applicable ONLY to advisors who were not previously a Brothers, and thus would go thru the full Initiation Ceremony.

Quote:
Perhaps things have changed since you became an advisor? I know when I spoke with Julie Regos, Chapter Services Asst, she indicated that there was a "new" form with a check box for advisory chair. Maybe this is even newer than the one you filled out when you became advisor? She also indicated it was a simple ceremony, not as in depth as an initiation ceremony. I'm happy to forward the form she emailed me.
Uh, I recommend you re-check my sig. Am a very active alumni volunteer, including a chapter advisor. Am fairly well versed in what's going on.

The advisor form indicated what advisory position(s) you will fill. Always has. The only 'ceremony' would be the quickie officer swearing in ceremony that is included in the ritual manual, as I previously indiciated.
Section 71 Chair