GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,540
0 members and 1,540 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

What would the founders think?

Of you as a member?
Of your chapter?
Of the current state of the organization?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
The sorority was a whole heck of a lot different when it was founded. I have heard older alum say that the house looks a lot stronger than it did and they are proud.

Of course our founders had originally only founded 1 local chapter. Now we have a beta. And I think the founders of the beta are still around. But I haven't heard anyone saying we shouldn't have expanded and I have heard the beta founders saying they wish it had never started.

I think everyone is generally happy.

As for myself... I get compliments via the website. I am the webmistress so when alumnae email me saying the site looks good, I take it personally.

Alright now that I sound like a total ray of sunshine, ...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305
Re: What would the founders think?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Of you as a member?
Of your chapter?
1.) They would be proud of me upholding the principles the founders have set when they founded Sigma Tau Gamma. I tried to lead by example as much as I can with My Involvement with not only my chapter but other Student Organizations such as Black Student Union, NAACP, the Black Studies Student Ambassodores and Latinos Unidos.

2.) My chapter is experiencing some problems, but I'm hoping we have most of the problems solved by the start of Fall Semster.

3.) the organization as a whole is continuing to improve. there's always room for improvement.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!

Last edited by sigtau305; 04-07-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a great question!

I think our founders would be proud of the organization and its accomplishments as a whole, but horrified and bewildered to see young members displaying the Fraternity's letters dangling from piercings in their navels.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Re: What would the founders think?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Of you as a member?
Of your chapter?
I think my founders would be happy that their goals and aspirations for Sigma Gamma Rho are very much alive in me, and that I am doing my part to continue their legacy and represent them in a positive light.

I think my founders would be proud of my chapter, of the ladies that have come through my chapter, and of the legacy and leadership we have demonstrated on my campus.

Overall, I think my founders are happy to see that 81 years later, Sigma Gamma Rho has grown in leaps and bounds. We have continued to uphold the mission and values that my founders felt were necessary back in 1922, and that we have sisterhood of classy, intelligent women who are making a difference in our communities.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Don't forget the tongue rings and the lettered thongs (yes I saw some GLO tongue rings on ebay) I think that would have them rolling in their graves!

Quote:
Originally posted by EEKappa
This is a great question!

I think our founders would be proud of the organization and its accomplishments as a whole, but horrified and bewildered to see young members displaying the Fraternity's letters dangling from piercings in their navels.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
Don't forget the tongue rings and the lettered thongs (yes I saw some GLO tongue rings on ebay) I think that would have them rolling in their graves!
*clutching my pearls* NOT THONGS!!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You haven't seen the thongs?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Intense1920
You haven't seen the thongs?
I don't believe so. You'd here me scream in D.C.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Stay away from ebay then.

/hijack
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I think our founders would be really happy to see us be the national sorority they set out to make. I think they would love that so many women are in college. They would be proud that Chi Omega helps college women grow and become leaders. However, they would be worried about the modern plagues of women: alcohol, drugs, rape, hazing. But you know, we must deal with problems as they come, and I think they would be proud of our perseverence.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

While Time Grows on all of us, The Priciples still stay the same!

Actually, I am sure they would be appallled at what they see today in Clothing and Demenier

But, to see the Number of people and How Far They Have Spread, They Would Say WOW! Where are the Long Dresses and Hats!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-07-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope they would be proud of me as a member as I try very hard to uphold our values and principals and will for the rest of my life

They would be proud of my chapter that we really embody our value of inclusiveness in that we are a diverse group of ladies who are truly all friends and work hard at improving the chapter and fullfilling the goals Phi Sig.

I think they would be proud of the organization as a whole, we are expanding, we are getting a permanant headquarters, we have some great programming, we give ladies scholarships to continue with their education, we dontate our time and money to philanthropic endevors.... I think they would be sad about the alcohol and some other problems, but those really are with all college students... and I know that they didn't intend for us to be all business all the time... but they probably would be sad at some of the behavior of some sisters...
Old 04-08-2004, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
I think that yes they would be impressed with our growth and achievement.
But things have changed so much I don't think they'd be able to cope. Being the first sorority, at the first womens college at a time when only a priveleged few were educated, they lived sheltered lives and aside from the way young ladies deport themselves these days they'd also be hit with socioeconomic, religious, and racial ideas very contrary to their own. It would be a culture shock to say the very least.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Our founders recalled these things--granted, they did so many years ago, but I think they'd be pleased with the way we have managed the legacy.

Jennie Titus Smith Morris wrote a lovely message at the Golden Anniversary in 1954 ("When I recall how a band of merry girls...") and alas, I don't have the complete text right here....But:

Marguerite Shepherd:
“I shall remember as one of the great sensations of my life the beautiful Initiation at the Athens Convention. I kept saying as the inspiring service proceeded, ‘Yes, Jennie wrote that; that was Georgia’s work; why, I thought out that myself. And here are girls from all over the Union, one with us in aspiration and purpose, repeating our words!’ Would any group of college girls today think they could successfully launch a new fraternity without a single party dress or dance? I don’t believe we thought we could, either. That’s why this great sisterhood of ours is such a wonder to us still.”

Estelle Shepard Beswick
“As a founder, I am impressed with the steadfastness with which our early ideas of democracy, of scholarship and of friendliness have been preserved in our organization.”

Grace Mosher Harter:
“…I read with amazement that the circulation of the Quarterly has increased to the seemingly incredible number of 6,000. This amazing growth brings to me a most gratifying sense of satisfaction in having played my small part as a Founder.”

Emily Helen Butterfield:
“The growth and strength that our fraternity has attained is so immeasurably above the founder’s expectation that I hesitate to express any wishes for the future lest they be too paltry. Perhaps the best I could wish for Alpha Gamma Delta is that each member may have a vigorous body, a keen brain and a clear appreciation of all things pure and right, with the will power and genius to make her ideals become real.”

--N