Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,188
2 members and 1,186 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-06-2003, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

alum panhellenic

is anyone involved with their alum panhellenic? the delegate position is open in my chapter for next year and i am considering doing it. the only thing i know is that it involves 4-5 meetings per year. i checked out some of the websites on npcwomen.org, but most of them talked about rush. if anyone is involved and can shed some light on what it is all about, i would be really greatful!
thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Thumbs up

I’m a delegate and I really enjoy it. It is a great networking opportunity to meet woman from other organizations on the local and national levels. I work with two Alumnae Panhellenic groups. One is chartered by NPC and the other is an unchartered confederation. In the official group, we have business meetings every other month to discuss a variety of issues. Although, recruitment is a huge topic and we do plan/execute the HS information sessions. In the other months, we have fun nights. Last month we had a bunko (many versions of the spelling) party. (www.gamecabinet.com/rules/Bunko.html) Other fun events were pottery painting and jewelry making. We also host an annual meeting where all NPC women are invited to hear fabulous speakers and to raise money for philanthropy and scholarships. This year’s event will be at the Southern Yacht Club and the speaker is former Sigma Kappa National President Angie Guillory.

The unofficial group is only interested in recruitment. Each year there is one big info session and after that, each sorority gets a list of girls for recommendations. Every other year there is also a fall fashion show fundraiser.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 AM

pinky,

Here's Pittsburgh's APH link.

http://www.pghpanhelalum.org/

I am wagering it's a little more like what yours would be like than some of the APHs in the south. Our main thing is the fashion show for scholarships and assisting the nearby schools with rush. We really don't get involved as a whole with recs and things like that cause most schools around here don't use them.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I wholeheartedly....

....endorse being delgate to your APH! I was the Gamma Phi delegate when I was stationed in Northern VA and TOTALLY loved it -- I met so many great women and it was neat knowing we were like "cousins" in the Greek world plus we did a lot of good things and had fun events! When I retired from the AF and moved to Atlanta in late 1998, I was an alternate Panhel delegate...loved it loved it loved!!! Not quite two years ago, I started an APH in the area south of Atlanta called the Southern Crescent -- I had gotten tired of the grind of driving into Atlanta -- honestly I think some of the country's worst drivers drive in Atlanta and it seemed I knew so many other Greek women who also hated driving into Atlanta for their own sorority's alum events -- in fact they were not involved at all! so I decided to form an APH here -- at the first event I hosted at my house, there were about 40 women...now we are not even 2 yrs old and we have over 100 dues paid members and we are planning our 2nd High school info session, we actively support two local philanthropies and we are about to give out our first $500 scholarship to a local high school senior girl! For some of these women who are members, it is THE only link to their sorority! I can tell you without hesitation or any mental reservation that being involved in anything Panhel is THE BEST thing I have ever done...so go for it girl!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the help ladies! well, i am excited for this position now! i know we don't have anything to do with rush recommendations or having info nights for high school seniors, but we do have a fundraiser for breast cancer research and a scholarship. i am going to go to the silent auction (which is the big yearly fundraising event) at the end of the month. i am excited to be more involved with my chapter....and the greek life in the area. i will keep you posted as i find out more info.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a past president of the APH in Charlotte and have been recycled many years later as the Scholarship Chair. Our APH was defunct for several years due lack of participation but was reorganized about three years ago. We have one delegate from each NPC organization and can have two if one is on Exec (actually can have an alternate also attend but each group only has one vote). We have large endowments in place at both Queens University and UNC-Charlotte (My job as Scholarship Chair involves overseeing the application process and the fun job of presenting the scholarships at Awards Convocations at the respective schools.). We have a luncheon each spring to which members of all the 26 groups are invited. Our long range goal for the next couple of years is to work on positive PR for Greek organizations - too much of what you see in the news is very negative!! We meet in homes (after trying several alternatives) and enjoy each other immensely. We are not allowed to promote rush in the public high schools - could many years ago but not now. We also exchange ideas on activities, membership, etc. I would urge you to participate as you chapter's delegate. I've loved it!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping thread.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to my first meeting of the Nashville Area Alumnae Panhellenic last month and I REALLY hope my chapter chooses to get involved!! I think it will be a lot of fun.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
I've been involved in APH for ages. Served as delegate, VP for 2 years and just ended my second term as President. Staying on as delegate for another year and training my replacement ( need a break - new baby takes a lot out of you).

I love APH and the friends I've made there are as close to me as some of my ZTA sisters.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
[i]

I love APH and the friends I've made there are as close to me as some of my ZTA sisters. [/B]
I am also a ZTA and I agree! I've been involved for a long time and many of these women are good friends. It is amazing that collegiates have so much competition among the GLO's on their campus but once we become alumnae, we realize that even though we wear different pins, we all belong to together.

I think this little poem says it all.
It makes little difference
The size of your pin,
Whether it’s large or small,
And if its plain
Or brilliant with jewels
Is of no concern at all.
But the vows that you took
Along with your pin,
Have you worn them constantly,
Quietly, deep in the heart
Where no one looks to see?
Have you touched the stars
You reached for once
In your own small piece of sky?
Have you striven for the honorable,
The beautiful, and the high?
What difference then
The shape of the badge, be it
Diamond or quill or square?
The important thing is
How much do you love
The pin you chose to wear?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to the Ft. Lauderdale Alumnae Panhellenic meeting this Saturday. A KD sister is president this year!

Though I've offered to be the representative for our alumnae association, another lady just volunteered. (She's more in the "age range" - both Ft. Laud's & Miami's APHs are a bit older). So, since there are other ways I can help out our group, she'll be the rep this year...but I'll still go to a couple of the meetings.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nhfulmer
I am also a ZTA and I agree! I've been involved for a long time and many of these women are good friends. It is amazing that collegiates have so much competition among the GLO's on their campus but once we become alumnae, we realize that even though we wear different pins, we all belong to together.

I think this little poem says it all.
It makes little difference
The size of your pin,
Whether it’s large or small,
And if its plain
Or brilliant with jewels
Is of no concern at all.
But the vows that you took
Along with your pin,
Have you worn them constantly,
Quietly, deep in the heart
Where no one looks to see?
Have you touched the stars
You reached for once
In your own small piece of sky?
Have you striven for the honorable,
The beautiful, and the high?
What difference then
The shape of the badge, be it
Diamond or quill or square?
The important thing is
How much do you love
The pin you chose to wear?

I love that poem NHFulmer!! Do you happen to know who wrote it?

I have always thought that the 26 NPC sororities are like cousins in the same big Greek family of NPC!!

I LOVE PANHELLENIC!!

From another OLD sorority babe
Old 09-09-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
I love that poem NHFulmer!! Do you happen to know who wrote it?

I don't know who wrote it. I had a copy of it a long time ago and then saw it in Zeta's magazine, Themis. I used it during a PH scholarship presentation at UNC-Charlotte. Then - wouldn't you know I lost it again!! I went online to Zeta's website (the Sister's Only section) and asked for help. Thank goodness several wonderful sisters sent it to me. Our Alumnae Panhellenic here in Charlotte, NC plans to use it as the theme for our luncheon next spring.

I hope you keep a copy of it and have an opportunity to use it also.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nhfulmer
I hope you keep a copy of it and have an opportunity to use it also.

I plan on it! Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

i am officially the delegate for my chapter. the aph hasn't had a meeting yet, but we are doing a breast cancer walk in oct. for me, this is going to be a great way to meet some new people! i am so excited.