GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,258
0 members and 1,258 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

USF Fall Recruitment

Hi! I'm finally de-lurking to ask a few questions because I registered for Fall Recruitment at the University of South Florida, and I'm already getting nervous! I have a good, solid GPA, I have a good personality, I'm friendly, I'm pretty, I had a lot of extracurriculars/ community service, etc. You know the drill! But I still have some concerns.

The first thing, which is probably my main concern, is that I am coming to USF from a community college, so I am a junior. HOWEVER, I am planning on pursuing a double major, so I plan to be there for more than just 2 years. I have heard that some sororities will cut you right off the bat for being an upperclassman, but I don't want that to hurt my chances, because I DO plan on being at USF for at least 3 more years! Do you think that someone will bing it up during recruitment? Should I mention it during a conversation?

Also, I have heard that many sororities have meetings Monday nights. I have registered for a class on Monday nights. I mean, there is still time to fix that, but I don't want to seem overconfident and rearrange my schedule to accomidate a sorority I haven't been accepted to yet! If I do get initiated however, is that something I will need to do?

I am so nervous! I tend to get more nervous than I should, but if there is anyone who goes to USF/has rushed there/can relate, or has any additional advice on what to do/wear/say, etc, that would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no USF experience but regarding the Monday night class I do have some thoughts. The only class that I ever took during meeting was a required course to graduate in my last quarter of school. A friend of mine from another sorority, who was also a chapter officer, was also registered for the class. She was a year behind me so she had to drop it and wait till two quarters later to take the class.

My point is that generally if you don't have to take the course at that time and could potentially take it another semester/quarter later, then you'd probably be encouraged to drop the class.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 06-26-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
I wouldn't worry about the class thing. After all, you are there to get an education, first and foremost. I would inquire as to how that would be handled, in general terms, and see what is said.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Where is twinkle555?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Just call the USF Office of Greek Life to find out when chapter meetings are held. All of the sororities will hold their chapter meetings on the same day at around the same time each week. Go from there.

You will get cut from a few chapters at USF in the early rounds at recruitment on the basis on your year in school. But since you are coming in with good grades and activities, you should have a reasonable chance at getting a sorority bid by keeping your options open and giving all of the chapters who invite you back a fair chance.

By the way, your football team sucks. It's not too late to join us on the other side of I-4.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to USF, but again, about the class thing - I was elected VP of Alum and Parlimentarian, and then I had a required class that conflicted with chapter meetings. I had to drop the Parlimentarian postion (yeah - imagine that the Parlimentarian actually had to BE at the metings), but I was still the VP of Alum...and I know we had regular (non-office holding) members who had conflicts and it wasn't a problem. They just had to read the chapter minutes and were expected to get info for all events coming up from either the Secretary or another sister.

Like previously said - you're in school to get an education, not to be in a sorority.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
By the way, your football team sucks. It's not too late to join us on the other side of I-4.
Is our football team really that much better?

We also have Sunday night chapter meetings!

Honestly, I'm sure that the USF sororities probably have a policy that accomodates members with class during chapter meetings. I also might ask the office of Greek life what is generally done.

Is your recruitment the week before school starts, like it is at UCF? If that is the case, you may be able to wait and see what the chapter thinks, assuming you get a bid. They would be able to give you more specific information on their policies.

If there is more than one section of this class, and you only have this specific section because the others were full, you may be able to look during add/ drop and see if any other sections at more convenient times have opened up. I used to do that all the time and it worked really well.

Last edited by sherbertlemons; 06-26-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Despite being a junior you have a lot to offer and most chapters will realize that! I think you should definately mention that you're going to be there for at least 3 more years. With that fact mentioned, it makes you just as eligible as any sophmore rushing. Put an emphasis on how much you want to get involved with positions within the sorority and activities outside. With respect to Monday meetings, they are probably new member meetings, which are absolutely mandatory. Usually if you don't attend new member meetings you don't get initiated. Ask each house while you're going through what happens on Monday nights, but don't necessarily say you have a class that you can't change.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbertlemons View Post
Is our football team really that much better?
Shhh! They'll hear you and we're supposed to play them in October!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCBlondie View Post
With respect to Monday meetings, they are probably new member meetings, which are absolutely mandatory. Usually if you don't attend new member meetings you don't get initiated.
Do you have a basis for assuming this? We had chapter on Mondays, but I wouldn't venture to guess what day other groups had their chapters on, even within my own campus. Also, if someone had a conflict with the new member meeting, my chapter would arrange something else for them - usually their Ruby sister would do a one-on-one sort of thing. I certainly don't think any chapter would fault a new member for having a class during new member meetings.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I sent a note to a chapter sister who transferred to USF and affiliated with our chapter there.

She said that a few of the chapters have Monday meetings, but the majority have their meeting on Sun night. She also said that juniors don't fare as well in recruitment as underclassmen, but if they are really something special they will do fine.

Anyway, all that aside, it sounds like any chapters with Mon meetings will discuss that during recruitment and that as a junior you'll get some initial early cuts due to your year in school when you get to recruitment. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should emphasize that you'll be around for 3 more years. It shouldn't be hard to work into conversation. The chapter members may study up on PNMs and may already know you're a junior and even bring it up, so you can talk about it then. If they have no idea and ask you, "So what did you do in high school?" you can reply "Well I am a junior, I transferred, I'm a double major going to be around for 3 more years blah blah blah" and then talk about what you've done since college.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm a USF alum! I will first tell you Congratulations on deciding to go to the school that DOMINATES the one sided "War on I-4" ( to all my UCF peeps on here!)

Anyways, I would invite you to visit USF's Panhellenic website. http://www.usfpanhellenic.com/ It has been re-designed and updated. It has profiles of all the sororities, information about recruitment, and contact info for Panhellenic Council Exec Board members. Feel free to call the office, there are plenty of them working in the Greek Life Office all summer.

As far as your questions go, since you are a Junior, you should definitely let all of the sororities know that you will be in school for a couple more years. It is "U Stay Forever" so girls should take it into consideration. There are no guarantees however, some chapters will not take juniors and seniors.

Most sororities have meetings on Sunday nights, with the exception of Tri Delta, who usually had their meetings on Monday nights. My sorority would have some Monday night meetings due to holidays, in those cases, the meetings would be at 9PM, which allows everyone with night classes to attend. (Night classes should end by 8:50)

As far as what to wear to recruitment, there is a style guide on the Panhellenic Website, and they will probably give you a brochure on Info Night with pictures of the Pi Chis (recruitment counselors) in appropriate clothes for each day of rush. You will be spending all day, every day outside, under tents, in Greek Park. My advice is to dress cool, bring plenty of water, and an umbrella!

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the experience! I was a Pi Chi and on Pan Exec, so I loved recruitment from the Panhellenic side of it. Good Luck, and GO BULLS!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Are you saying, UCF has a good football team...um ok...how many bowl games were they in this past year? Oh I forgot, yea none...Ok, enough football rivarly. As anyone can see from my sorority affliation, I do not attend USF as my sorority is no longer there.

Even though I go to UNF(With no football team, I might add), and I have grown up in the Bay Area, and I have friends who attend USF. My advice is to go into Rush with an open mind, and to just be yourself! I don't know what the unoffical policy there is about transfers joining as pledges. Just out of curiosity, which community college did you attend?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

here i am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
Where is twinkle555?
haha i dont come on GC for ONE day and this is what i miss!! lol..

emerald, ill PM you. but DEFINITLY consider what the other girls have written..they are giving you great advice!! also go to USF's panhellenic site that ShaedyKD gave you its very helpful!!