GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 1,063
1 members and 1,062 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-03-2002, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MisplacedGam
Reactivating at a new chapter

As some of you know, I am not at a school that has a chapter, but I am trying to transfer to a school that does. I checked out the school this weekend, and met one sister, they have a really small chapter because they are new. Did anyone else have to deal with this? Anyone have any advice? And if I do not like the chapter is it ok to not associate?
any input would be greatly appreciated.
tori
Old 03-03-2002, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Tori, to answer your question, you don't have to affiliate at the new chapter. You can simply opt to take alumna status. That is a perfectly good option.

That having been said...I think that you should consider affiliating anyway. You are in a unique position to help this chapter develop new traditions that perhaps they haven't thought about. You have a chance to be a real leader, and help this new chapter off the ground!

All new chapters have their growing pains. If we turn our backs on them because they are too small...they are doomed to wither on the vine. And I know that none of us want to see that happen.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up AMEN!

After all, look at the small number of Founders!

Loyally,
Lynn
Gamma Tau
Old 03-04-2002, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JenAGD Send a message via Yahoo to JenAGD
Tori,

You are in an awesome position to join a new, small chapter and help them out. Just think what a leadership position you would be able to take and what you may be able to do with the chapter.

Let us all know what you decide to do.

LIEP
Jen
Old 03-04-2002, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, where are you thinking of going? My chapter at Valdosta State is fairly (1998) new and relativley small compared to the other chapters on campus. I liked being a part of the growing process. Gook luck! I know you'll make the right decision.

LIEP,
Erin
Old 03-06-2002, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MisplacedGam
Thanks for the input

well I am all for helping out a new chapter. I think I am just like, well it wont be the same, blah blah blah, but that is not nescessarily a bad thing. so I think i will re activate!
Its the Theta Rho chapter at Barry University. I am very excited now
has anyone else been in a situation like this? The sister I spoke with mentioned something about going through like an 8 week thing, like with the new members? is this true? just wondering
tori
Old 03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The President of the chapter should have all of the information you need regarding affiliation - and the Chapter Advisor, too. There are some forms that you have to fill out and have someone from your initiating chapter fill out. The chapter does have to vote for the affiliation to go through. Once approved, you are a regular member of their chapter - no 8-week period involved. You become a fully functioning collegiate member of their chapter. Again, it's all spelled out in their handbooks.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you are an initiated member of Alpha Gamma Delta you don't need to go through the 8-week new member program. Remind the sister of the chapter that. Since you are initiated you have all the same rights and privileges as any other member when you affiliate with another chapter!

Just so it's no surprise, you'll probably have to pay an affiliation fee, which is listed in their Chapter Bylaws. Most chapters it very nominal ($15-$25).

Go for it - you'll bring some fresh ideas to their chapter!
Old 03-07-2002, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Tori,

We had an LC from that chapter not too long ago. I can't remember her name, hell I can't remember my own name sometimes, but she was really sweet. Good luck in the process of affiliation and with a new chapter. Remember, it's challenging but stick with it. It will be a huge learning experience in the end. You will learn ways to deal with people you never imagined.

LIEP,
Erin
Old 03-08-2002, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Tori,

Speaking for someone who did not affiliate (I took alumna status), I think you will be glad that you decided to re-activate!! I transferred as a junior and I didn't think I would love another chapter like I loved MY chapter. But I really missed not being involved in anything at my new school. I thought I would just concentrate on my classes and graduate as quickly as possible. I regret my decision not to affiliate. Transferring for me was hard because it wasn't something that I wanted to do in the first place. I think the transition would have been easier had I had the support that AGD provides. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

Tori, once you get to the school, scope out the girls and see how well you click. It won't be the same as your original chapter, but like everyone else mentioned you can be a real asset to this chapter (as an affliliated member OR an alum). Even if you choose not to affiliate, I encourage you to be an active alum!

Where is Tonya on this thread? She can probably give you some advice about new chapters as she was a part of the recolonized Alpha Beta pledge class.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Be the best AGD whereever you are...

Note to Leslie, good to see you here..((Btw, your PM box is full )

Lynn
Old 03-08-2002, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Note to Lynn, thanks! I'll update you after sunday. I just PMed you.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
Be the best AGD whereever you are...
Lynn, you hit the nail right on the head! I think that if all of us just live our lives being the best AGD that we can be...that is the best publicity that any of us could possibly give to our Fraternity.

That is what Emily meant when she wrote: "that those who know me may esteem Alpha Gamma Delta for her attainments, revere her for her purposes, and love her for her womanhood."
Old 03-09-2002, 01:39 AM
UMgirl

Here I Am!

Tori, I feel the same way everyone esle does. REACTIVATE. I'm sure if things jsut dont click, you can always go alum, after all you are already initiated. But as someone said, if you didnt who knows what you could be missing out on.
As far as being in a new chapter, I am not sure where Barry U is currently at the moment, like how new they are. But I know for us starting all over again was a lot of work. but it was fun. Plus with someone like you who was already part of a sisterhood and knows how things go (someone to provide a sense of leadership and being the "Big" sister), you would be an even more valuable asset to the sorority. Especially since most of the girls might be freshman and/or sophmores. In my chapter I was the only senior, there two juniors (but one went abroad 2nd semester,and the other, my lil, didnt come til 2nd semester), about 7 sophmores, and about 24 freshman. At times I did feel a lil out of place, cuz I had already been through what most of them were going through and a lil alone (they tricked me and said there be more seniors darn it. ok they didnt trick me but they did think there would be more seniors) but OVERALL it was way worth it and I ended up playing the Big sis role a few times which was fun. I would join a new chapter all over again, if I had too. Not a single regret Any questions, feel more than free to ask.

LIEP,
Tonya

PS-- You could also live out what Emily meant in this part of our Purpose, with re-activatingwith a new chapter...
To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied...