GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,492
0 members and 1,492 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2001, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Sure I do!!

One of my favorite authors is at the top of the list:

Yolanda Joe/Ardella Garland
1. He Say/She Say
2. Bebe's By Golly Wow
3. This Just In
4. Falling Leaves of Ivy
5. Details at Ten (under pen name of Ardella Garland)

Nikki Giovanni is a poet who has several books published. I am sure there are others but I don't limit my book reading to a person's Greek affiliation.

------------------
Black is a mystery, and part of my history. Black is bold and worth a hell of a lot more than gold.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 12-08-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, do you mean other than the more well-known like Sorors Paula Giddings, Johnetta Cole, and Harriet Cole? I do have some in my library at home. I'll check for you.

------------------
MCCOYRED

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate

Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae
Old 01-19-2001, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Time Will Tell by Trevy McDonald
Old 01-19-2001, 06:47 PM
c&c1913

When all h*ll breaks loose by Camika Spencer.
Old 01-20-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Books By Deltas

I was wondering does anyone know of some interesting books that are written by members of Delta Sigma Theta?

Thanks,
Crimson_Interest
Old 01-20-2001, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred:
Soror, do you mean other than the more well-known like Sorors Paula Giddings, Johnetta Cole, and Harriet Cole? I do have some in my library at home. I'll check for you.

I just wanted to let you know that I am not a member of Delta Sigma Theta, but I am interested. I didn't want anyone to think that I was trying to fake/pretend to be a member when I am not.

Crimson_Interest

Old 01-21-2001, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
I met Yolanda Joe at Convention - she's cool, and her books are good esp. He Say, She Say. I want to get the one about the reporter but I can't think of the name of the book.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC, Spr 99
Galveston Council of Greeks NPHC, President
Old 05-07-2002, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

hot off the presses

New Book by Soror Tracie J. Scott titled The Puzzle
for info: http://www.traciejscott.com

Summary of Book
The Puzzle is an intriguingly complex story that takes a realistic look at romance in today's society and pushes the envelope in discussing relationships between men, women and family.

Like most of us, Vergie was taught by her parents to make the right choices in life. As a result, Vergie married a man who is "on a good day slightly warmer than fresh bread." In walks her first true love and suddenly she is charged with sorting through
emotions that she was sure no longer existed.

Friendship and love are two pieces of the puzzle that Vergie can't quite make fit. And just when she thinks things could not possibly get more complicated, her family throws her a curve that may be too much to bear. It seems as though her parents
didn't always practice what they preached.

Laugh and cry with Vergie as she tries to put the pieces together.

Author, Tracie J. Scott, is a native Houstonian who graduated from Mirabeau B. Lamar High School and continued her education at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. Tracie is a member of the Houston Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta,
Black Writers Alliance, and Delta Authors on Tour.

Meet the Author

On May 18th and 19th, Tracie J Scott will participate in the Houston Book Festival at Town & Country Mall in Houston, TX. This is the first event of its kind in Houston, honoring Texas authors, poets, and celebrities.

Town & Country Mall is located at the intersection of Beltway 8 and the Katy Freeway. The event times are: Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m and Sunday, Noon - 5p.m.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 05-09-2002 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading it Now

Too Beautiful for Words by Soror Monique W. Morris

Book Description
He walked up all close to me, and I remember he smelled so sweet -- like love without sex. From his soft, clean, honey-colored face to the milky white of his teeth, this man caught ahold of my heart and yanked it straight through my body. It was a wonderful feelin' -- natural and dark. And it only got sweeter when he told me that I could come to one of his parties and see his "family" for myself . . . I hadn't ever thought 'bout bein' a ho before, but I did want to do whatever could keep me close to that man standin' in front of me.

In the tradition of Sister Souljah, Sapphire, and Paul Beatty comes a stunning new voice in fiction, Monique W. Morris, and her novel, Too Beautiful for Words.

Peaches was a good high school girl until she met Jesus, the pimp who turned her out. They had a child named Jason, who was raised in a group home. Now a young man with a son of his own, Jason meets Chinaka, a former Black Panther who had befriended Peaches. Just as she tried to rescue his mother, Chinaka sets her sights on Jason, who is looking to get into the family business.

In stark, moving prose, Monique W. Morris brings us into the lives of Peaches, Jesus, Jason, and Chinaka, whose words capture with exquisite honesty the brutality and humanity of the streets. They will resound in your mind long after you've closed the book.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink I Finished It

Soror Monique did an excellent job with this book.
I am going to e-mail her and tell her what I thought.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have read all of the books by Yolanda Joe/Ardella Garland and I love them...I could not find the Falling Leaves of Ivy...it is out of print! Also Camika Spencer "When all Hell Breaks Loose" is good!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Try the FREE Bookstore

Quote:
Originally posted by MsPriss_#22
I have read all of the books by Yolanda Joe/Ardella Garland and I love them...I could not find the Falling Leaves of Ivy...it is out of print! Also Camika Spencer "When all Hell Breaks Loose" is good!
Soror, I got Falling Leaves of Ivy a few years ago from the free bookstore better known as the library.

She has a new book out called HIT TIME that is written under her Ardella Garland name.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I went to the Printers Row Book Fair in Chicago and a lady by the name of Jacqueline S. McCord who is a local Chicago author. Her book is called Fur Coats in My Closet. She autographed it and she is a Delta. Very nice lady.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Angel11E01 Send a message via Yahoo to Angel11E01
Joy - By Soror Victoria Christopher Murray

It's really good! About a beautiful, successful, faith filled woman (who just so happens to be a Soror in the book) who has a traumatic experience and begins to lose faith on everything - her relationshipwith her fiance, her business, and everything....

Just read the book, ya'll!!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel11E01
Joy - By Soror Victoria Christopher Murray

It's really good! About a beautiful, successful, faith filled woman (who just so happens to be a Soror in the book) who has a traumatic experience and begins to lose faith on everything - her relationshipwith her fiance, her business, and everything....

Just read the book, ya'll!!
She also wrote TEMPTATION!! Check her out.